Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/29/2023 10:17:35 AM EDT
[Last Edit: jdtbone]
Is there a free float handguard for a 5" barrel out there that has no rail, doesn't require indexing, and if it had M-lok that would be a bonus?

Like a tube or raised top style?

Haven't found much along those lines and looking for ideas.

Thanks!

edit update:

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions.

I went with a Odin Works 4" handguard that I bought from Primary Arms.  

The Primary Arms link below seems to have problems with the avantlink.  Here's the link to cut and paste, "https://www.primaryarms.com/odin-works-m-lok-free-float-ar15-handguard-4"

Odin Works 4" handguard

Primary Arms Odin Works 4" handguard

Odin Works handguard installation, scroll down to "How do I install my new forend?"

It was on sale, still is I see, and while I was looking at Primary Arms a discount offer popped up and I just had to go ahead and send it home!

Alignment was a bit of an issue as there was a very small amount of misalignment between the rail and upper following the Odin Works installation procedure.  The alignment pin fit wasn't exact and allowed some shifting to occur.  Maybe my upper gas tube hole is out of spec.  I ended up loctiting the forend adapter onto the upper in the correct position for alignment of the upper and handguard rails and it worked out.
Link Posted: 8/29/2023 10:39:47 AM EDT
[#1]
https://www.masdefense.com/MAS00106302-p/mas00106302.htm

MAS Defense 4.2" M-LOK Free Float
Proudly Made in USA. The monolithic top rail of the handguard sits directly against the upper receiver rail. M-LOK attachment points are located at the 3, 6 and 9 o'clock positions. The slim 1.25" inner diameter will require a slim muzzle device. This includes our "Slim" Flash can if applicable.

Pistol Length

Link Posted: 8/29/2023 10:41:43 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/29/2023 10:50:19 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks doc_Zox.

Crazy that I looked at UTG's website as I like the Super Slim line but I missed the short one.

Something like that without the rail would be ideal.

Probably end up with that unless a "no rail" solution presents itself.

JSE also has pretty cheap shipping at least.
Link Posted: 8/29/2023 11:03:52 AM EDT
[#4]
doesn't require indexing, and if it had M-lok
View Quote

If it has M-lok, would it not require indexing?  I kinda like my slots @ 3, 6, 9 o'clock
Link Posted: 8/29/2023 11:04:52 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

Have one of these, it's solid.
Link Posted: 8/29/2023 11:07:47 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/29/2023 11:33:57 AM EDT
[#7]
The UTG does have index tabs but thats a quick removal with a sharp bastard file
Link Posted: 8/29/2023 3:58:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: jdtbone] [#8]
I should have been more clear with regard to indexing.

I am referring to the barrel nut indexing to the gas tube, not the handguard itself.

The UTG Pro style of barrel nut is ideal as it's alignment system aligns the M-Lok slots without regard for the barrel nut having to clear the gas tube.

s4s4u - It would be best if the M-Lok slots lined up at 3, 6, and 9 but I could start a new trend!

RDTCU - That Franklin Armory is looking like a good choice.  I wish they had a picture of the barrel nut.

doc_Zox - Yes, I like the anti-rotation tabs on the UTG Pro Super Slim.  I'm wondering if that diameter may be too small for a pistol?  I'm guessing there probably isn't enough room on that short of a handguard for my off hand to be on there without losing a few fingers.  It will only hurt the first couple of times though.

Thanks for the replies folks as I dwell on this.

Going to go with Foxtrot Mike products for the lower.  They do have a handguard but it has the rail.

edit:  I've contacted Franklin Armory and asked for a picture of the barrel nut.  The TML handguard is no longer on their website, it appears to have been discontinued but I'll see what their response is.

edit:  Franklin Armory got back to me and informed the barrel nut is the externally threaded style with multiple holes for gas tube alignment.
Link Posted: 8/29/2023 9:19:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: doc_Zox] [#9]
Link Posted: 8/30/2023 12:53:56 AM EDT
[Last Edit: EDL] [#10]
I'mma be the odd man out here....I recently took a chance and bought a cheap Chinese made handguard for my SBR and the thing rocks!  It's solid, strong, fits perfectly and the steel barrel nut does not need to index for the gas tube but does for the guard fitment as it isn't the pinch style that needs that lower tab, it screws to the barrel nut.  Having no tab is good for short guards as they get in the way of your grip.  On a long guard, it wouldn't be an issue.

The one I bought has a rail, but is the type it only has picatinny sections near each end, I believe they call it a "cut out" rail.  I'm very happy with it.  It cost me $36 and is made by "Ohhunt."  They do have a warehouse in Chicago.  It was free shipping and I got it 4 days after ordering.

I like it enough I'm going to get a 12" to 13" one to go on my 16" 350 Legend.

https://www.ohhunt.com/collections/handguard

Link Posted: 8/30/2023 2:20:18 PM EDT
[#11]
The Atlas is a nice handguard.  

Looks like I can't get away from the no top rail except for the Franklin Armory one but I really hate messing with the alignment on the barrel nut.

I've got no problem with the "cheap" handguards.  UTG Pro used to be looked down on as well but I think it's gained a following.

I'll keep that ohhunt in mind.
Link Posted: 8/30/2023 3:18:26 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 8/30/2023 3:20:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RDTCU] [#13]
So what exactly do the struggle with when tightening a barrel nut?
Don't have the right tools?
Link Posted: 8/31/2023 9:58:30 AM EDT
[#14]
I've done several that require the alignment, it's easier to not have to deal with it at all.  May have to with what's out there.

Probably going to fit the barrel to the receiver first so I know for sure how much length of handguard I want.

Get that done and then Black Friday sales maybe something will come up!

Cincinnatus - Nice build.  What's that stop on bottom, what model and make?  Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/31/2023 10:06:56 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 9/2/2023 12:22:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Capt_Destro] [#16]
Originally Posted By Cincinnatus:

I can't recall.  I found it through Google searching.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Cincinnatus:
Originally Posted By jdtbone:

Cincinnatus - Nice build.  What's that stop on bottom, what model and make?  Thanks.

I can't recall.  I found it through Google searching.

I seen it sold as a "UTG Keymod Handstop" Could never find one in Mlok, but it wouldnt be hard to adapt it tbh

I'm sure you can hit the keymod lug so it fits in an Mlok slot. Replace the screw/nut and it should work.

https://www.leapers.com/utg-super-slim-keymod-hand-stop-barricade-rest-kit-black-tl-hs02b.html

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/2/2023 12:59:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Big-Bore] [#17]
And before anyone says, “UTG, puke,” don’t show your ignorance by saying it.  I have 4 or 5 of these on  .458SOCOM and .475 SOCOM SBRs and they are great.  They are strong, well made, lock up tight, don’t shoot loose, and are big enough that you can’t miss them.  Best of all, they are only about $10-$15.  They work great as a barricade rest and hand stop.

They fit best on octagon handguards but work equally well on round handguards.

The only down side is ignorant big name fan boys will turn up their noses at you for using something from UTG while bragging about their $40-$60 hand stop/ barricade rest that doesn’t do a darned thing better than the UTG unit, except drain your wallet.
Link Posted: 9/2/2023 1:40:05 PM EDT
[#18]
I've been happy with my guntech 4" mlok rail....I like that it's flat on the bottom unlike alot of the rails on the market.

Link Posted: 9/2/2023 9:30:03 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By Big-Bore:
And before anyone says, “UTG, puke,” don’t show your ignorance by saying it.  I have 4 or 5 of these on  .458SOCOM and .475 SOCOM SBRs and they are great.  They are strong, well made, lock up tight, don’t shoot loose, and are big enough that you can’t miss them.  Best of all, they are only about $10-$15.  They work great as a barricade rest and hand stop.

The only down side is ignorant big name fan boys will turn up their noses at you for using something from UTG while bragging about their $40-$60 hand stop/ barricade rest that doesn’t do a darned thing better than the UTG unit, except drain your wallet.
View Quote

Yup. I have two of the Zastava branded UTG hand guards on my M85 and M92 SBR's.  Fit and finish is very nice and they lock up tight.

Aluminum extrusions are cheap and easy to manufacture. No reason a hand guard should retail for $300 when it costs $20 to make.  Did someone say Geissele???
Link Posted: 9/3/2023 12:03:47 AM EDT
[#20]
Yep, I refuse to pay that kind of money for a handguard.  So far I like my Chinese Ohhunt 7" guard I paid $36 for.  Every bit as stout as any other handguard.  I like it enough that I ordered a 12.5" for my 16" 350 Legend.
Link Posted: 9/5/2023 12:33:21 PM EDT
[#21]
Didn’t realize how large that handstop is.  I’ve got a few cheap ones coming so I can check them out.

Found this 4" handguard, TacFire, looks similar to the OhHunt and GunTech.

Thanks everyone for the information!

I have the barrel coming in this week so when I get some time I can take some measurements, figure out what I want, wait for a sale, and maybe even get something built someday.
Link Posted: 9/12/2023 1:37:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Capt_Destro] [#22]
Originally Posted By Big-Bore:

View Quote

I have a UTG Arwen HG on the way. Got it on sale.

I only avoid UTG handguards because I can get Expo Arms/Unbranded style.for only $45 at BKings. They are g2g.

I think the shortest UTG Pro has the Arwen in is 5" though.

If you can find their discontinued UTG Pro pistol quad rail, that's a good choice.

Be aware/cautious of Chinese HG. The barrel nuts are most likely a cast. Ordered a cheap one as a place holder.. Kinda gross.
Link Posted: 10/31/2023 11:34:00 AM EDT
[Last Edit: jdtbone] [#23]
Thanks to everyone for their suggestions.

I went with a Odin Works 4" handguard that I bought from Primary Arms.  

The Primary Arms link below seems to have problems with the avantlink.  Here's the link to cut and paste, "https://www.primaryarms.com/odin-works-m-lok-free-float-ar15-handguard-4"

Odin Works 4" handguard

Primary Arms Odin Works 4" handguard

Odin Works handguard installation, scroll down to "How do I install my new forend?"

It was on sale, still is I see, and while I was looking at Primary Arms a discount offer popped up and I just had to go ahead and send it home!

Alignment was a bit of an issue as there was a very small amount of misalignment between the rail and upper following the Odin Works installation procedure.  The alignment pin fit wasn't exact and allowed some shifting to occur.  Maybe my upper gas tube hole is out of spec.  I ended up loctiting the forend adapter onto the upper in the correct position for alignment of the upper and handguard rails and it worked out.
Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Top Top