Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/9/2024 6:02:45 PM EDT
local pawn shop , it has the heavy 16 inch barrel without the obnoxious loud pinned  Bushy 74 brake , $500 in great shape , Windham ME reciever and bullpup logo , A2 upper , put on Lay away , cant wait to get this thing home
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 6:04:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 6:07:39 PM EDT
[#2]
lol , i know, apologies for no pics , as stated on layaway , i am excited , was looking more for feed back from those that have them , i have the DCM counter part , ban era match rifle

Link Posted: 5/9/2024 6:16:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Gunnie357] [#3]
Great rifles pretty sure I have the pencil barrel and the pinned and your right it’s obnoxious.

They’ve been good dependable rifles of the ABC days you will be served well.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 7:07:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Migmaqman] [#4]
thanks for the thoughts/reply  , thats why i was excited , its the heavy bare tip barrel in 16 carbine ,in a perfect world i would prefer the pre ban , but those are even harder to find these days ,so feeling blessed i found this at such a reasonable price point

had to put it on layaway on the heels of tax's and i already have a '80's single six on the layaway , almost paid off on that one though
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 7:35:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Migmaqman:
lol , i know, apologies for no pics , as stated on layaway , i am excited , was looking more for feed back from those that have them , i have the DCM counter part , ban era match rifle

View Quote

I was just being cheeky.

New guns get me going too. Especially shorties. Post some pics once re-homed.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 7:57:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 8:32:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By TGWLDR:

I was just being cheeky.

New guns get me going too. Especially shorties. Post some pics once re-homed.
View Quote
i knew that , and i will follow up post the pics when i get it home
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 8:36:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Those Bushmaster 14.5 barrels with AK74 brakes are cool as fuck. OP missed out.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 10:49:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By FightingHellfish:
View Quote
i dont think i didnt missed out on anything , to each his own , we own farm land so we dont do ranges ,so everyone shooting is family and friends , those loud brakes have people complaining 60 feet away at the picnic tables ,and because its a pinned brake to avoid SBR , you're stuck with that brake
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 12:31:46 AM EDT
[#10]
View Quote

I won this online auction for $440, just over 2 MOA at 200 yards.  The old Bushies shoot great.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 7:10:40 AM EDT
[#11]
you did good on the price ,and pretty good for a 14.5 barrel
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 7:11:21 AM EDT
[#12]
View Quote

still trying to wrap my head around how "i missed out" on something that was never there , that would mean i missed out on a plethora of firearms that were not there as well , every time you walk in to a shop you miss out because of weapons that are not there
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 7:40:59 AM EDT
[Last Edit: FightingHellfish] [#13]
Originally Posted By Migmaqman:

still trying to wrap my head around how "i missed out" on something that was never there , that would mean i missed out on a plethora of firearms that were not there as well , every time you walk in to a shop you miss out because of weapons that are not there
View Quote

You expressed any opinion that the 16” neutered ban-era barrel is the superior option to the “obnoxiously loud” -74 braked barrel. I would disagree, the Bushy rifles with the -74 brake was one of the best options available in that era. Also, the Bushmasters with the extremely loud brakes were generally considered to be the “mini-y comps.”  To me it’s kind of a moot point anyway, since you will be wearing ear pro, regardless. So, if you think the bare muzzle is the better ban-era option, you missed out conceptually, the fixed brake rifles are more desirable.

I also don’t shoot at ranges or at family ranges, so the brakes noises to the left and right are not much of a concern to me.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 9:12:52 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Migmaqman] [#14]
lmao!!!! i never said either was superior to the other , i said the bare nosed barrel was my preferred over the brake version if i had a choice , and asked opinions on the version i purchased , someone else agreed that they had  one of the braked  and it was obnoxious ,truth be told i would have passed on it if it had the brake , i only knew of how loud they were because a buddy said he had one and he sold it due to how loud they were , not everyone is on the firing line so ear pro is not necessary for those in the back at the picnic tables where we have food drink and some taking a break

truth be told its kind of weird , i have the same style brake on an AKM and its not bad by any stretch , i did have the same style that was a slip on that locked around the FSB on a SKSM that was deafening to anyone within 5o feet , its been sitting in a drawer for 30 years , the AKM and the SKSM both chambered in x39 so not sure why/what makes them handle the noise different  than the other
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 10:01:14 AM EDT
[#15]
I’m just excited for the range report regardless of which is better
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 12:25:31 PM EDT
[#16]
I've still got one.  Right after the ban expired I had the brake cut off and a Smith Vortex mounted on it (to make it 16" overall) as well as swapping the fixed stock for an M4 style.  I've thought about swapping the front sight just so it'd have a bayonet mount but there's really no point.  It's got an optic on it now but the BM carry handle and A2 stock are stored with other parts.  I can't recall the thing ever giving me a problem and it's plenty accurate, just some complaints when shooting it indoors or under a covered range when it had the brake (I definitely recommend doubling up on haring protections, especially indoors).    I think the brake worked as intended, but it really is (was in my case) obnoxious and not really needed on the 5.56.  I kind of wish it was still as original but it's more comfortable to shoot without it.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 4:30:53 PM EDT
[#17]
Buy good hearing protection those are loud or so I have heard. Enjoy your new rifle.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 8:54:21 PM EDT
[#18]
Sounds like a nice score.

They last A2 Bushmaster shorty (used) I saw was over $1100.

Link Posted: 5/11/2024 9:23:16 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By Howlin_Mad:

I won this online auction for $440, just over 2 MOA at 200 yards.  The old Bushies shoot great.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/99137/Bushmaster_ban_era_1_jpeg-3210108.JPG
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Howlin_Mad:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/99137/Bushmaster_ban_era_1_jpeg-3210108.JPG

I had one like that in 1999, I sold the upper so I could be a 20 inch barreled upper. If I saw another one for sale I would buy it.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 9:54:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: M4BlackRifle] [#20]
The Windham Bushmasters are great rifles.   Back in the day your choices were A, B, or C.  I bought a XM15 E2S AK Shorty 14.5" heavy barrel with pinned and welded AK muzzle brake.  No A could be found, and C was $300 more expensive.   When the ban ended I sold the barrel to a poor soul trapped in Kommifornia, and installed all the evil features that were so scary.   I still have the sawed in half and riveted back together 10 round magazine.

The AK muzzle brake was loud.

Link Posted: 5/15/2024 11:42:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DayandNight1701] [#21]
More Bush! until OP post pics.

Both PD trade-in, Maine Bushmasters.  I'm not sure if either were pre or post ban.  Top is a factory 14.5 p/w with I'm guessing a department installed single point sling attachment.  Still have it.  Love the simplicity and light weight.

Bottom, as far as I can tell, is a box stock, 16" carbine gas, heavy barrel, with an A2 stock.  Super weird configuration, IMO, but they did funny things back then.

Gave the bottom one to my old man as he would never spend money on a rifle that didn't have wood on it.  He actually loved it.  Said it was one of the best gifts he'd ever been given.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 9:47:01 PM EDT
[#22]
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top