Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/2/2022 2:06:33 PM EDT

A few years ago i got "disinterested" in the hobby aspect of our sport and just purchased 2 Colt 6920's --  one for the house and one for field use.      -  I sold off a few homebuilts in the process.      I foolishly sold off a small gun case full of Glocks thinking SIG was my new holy grail also ---  thats another story, but now i am replenishing my selection of Glocks and selling off the Sig's  ---   the ugly bastards just perform

But i digress -- the cleanout revealed a couple of lower receivers - one Spikes (with egregious Punisher logo" ) and a Stag.   Also a couple of uppers, - an A1 and an A2

Just like me buying back replacements for all the Glocks i sold, i have reverted back to "hobby mode" a little

I have no idea the lineage of the A1 upper but i would like to put together a XM-177 style plinker.      Not really wanting a Frankengun looking homebuild, (mismatched finish , hammer marks on the bolt catch castings, etc. )  i am willing to get the upper and lower re-coated to better match and invest in some tools to assemble these properly

Probably use the Stag for this one --- i have a DPMS dedicated .22 LR upper that would be a suitable home for The Punisher .     But would like to use good grade parts ---      anyone know a source for a Colt LPK and appropriate retro-ish barrel parts ?       Not on any specific budget, but really dont want it to wind up costing a fortune either , as i have an A2 to build also  (just posted in the A2 forum also )

Thanks  in advance for any guidance

Link Posted: 8/2/2022 2:23:58 PM EDT
[#1]
That P M replacement upper with A2 Dust Cover and Bighead FA would be perfect for a BHD Carbine.
Link Posted: 8/2/2022 2:37:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
That P M replacement upper with A2 Dust Cover and Bighead FA would be perfect for a BHD Carbine.
View Quote

That could be fun too ! -  I'll search back through the forum for some examples ---   what does the PM mean ?
Link Posted: 8/2/2022 3:01:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

A few years ago i got "disinterested" in the hobby aspect of our sport and just purchased 2 Colt 6920's --  one for the house and one for field use.      -  I sold off a few homebuilts in the process.     ...

View Quote

Similar experience - but I didn't have any uppers, but l found in my stuff after years and years plenty of A1 furniture, lots of '60s 20rd mags, various parts, etc.

As to refinish you mentioned: several years ago I made an A1 replica and I re-countered a lower to make a partial fence.  Being economical (meaning not "cheap," but at least $$ conscious), I re-did the gun with Brownell's Alumahyde in the "Dark Parkerizing Grey" and it was a really good match.  When I get to my XM177 clone, that's what I'll use again.  The color is a great match but also the finish "feel" is much more correct than say, Cerakote, if not as durable. I have found the durability very good for what it is and not an issue despite being a single-stage spray.
Link Posted: 8/2/2022 3:01:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

What does the PM mean?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What does the PM mean?

PM is Elisco Tool, they provided replacement M16 parts in the 70's and 80's and had a big contract with the Philippine Military.
Link Posted: 8/2/2022 3:07:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

That could be fun too ! -  I'll search back through the forum for some examples ---   what does the PM mean ?
View Quote

Those were GI replacement parts, like the blank or numbered slides on GI 1911s in later days.  The 'M' is for Capco/Martin Marietta forge.  "P" I am not 100% sure. Some say "philippines" because there was a big contract, others, "parts" - I personally don't know.  So a "PM" marked upper is a GI replacement upper.

My elderly dad has one of those PM A1 uppers, non-deflector, on an older Bushmaster lower; I'm trying to get him to give or sell it to me for an XM177 project.

ETA: sorry, he's right on the A1 "PM" marking - Elisco.  A2 "PM" would be Capco.
Link Posted: 8/2/2022 3:15:41 PM EDT
[#6]
You also sell it in the EE for like $300+ today. Scary what some people will pay for those.
Link Posted: 8/2/2022 3:41:54 PM EDT
[#7]
The big head forward assist don't play well with A2 lowers, unless the fa has a side ground down for clearance.

That's how I understand it anyway, I've never had one.
Link Posted: 8/2/2022 4:36:42 PM EDT
[#8]

This is awesome info guys !   Thanks so much --

I found a link to Brownells in another thread and they have A1 style barrel assemblies for around $250 complete with flat slip ring and FSB pinned on

To keep things easy i will likely just do this --  i noticed they have a 20" barrel also.   Would be a fun build with triangle handguards and an A1 buttstock too
Link Posted: 8/2/2022 4:37:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
The big head forward assist don't play well with A2 lowers, unless the fa has a side ground down for clearance.

That's how I understand it anyway, I've never had one.
View Quote

Just tried it -- that fact is spot on -- it will only make it halfway before hitting the casting!
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top