User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/3/2021 4:32:16 PM EDT
I can go upto 1kish total.

Which optic would you run? i m having a hard time deciding between vortex, lupine, ecotech, etc.. almost impossible to decide.
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 5:01:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Sweet!
I was hoping to find a optic bashing thread!

Link Posted: 1/3/2021 5:08:43 PM EDT
[#2]
I have a couple Nikon FX1000s and I'm quite impressed with them.

The AR mount I like is the Badger Ordnance 306-96.
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 5:10:55 PM EDT
[#3]
I’ll be the first to throw out the standard questions. What is your intended use for this optic? Shooting for fun at the range? Home defense? Coyotes on a ranch? What range(s) do you intend to use it for? Under 50 meters to protect your suburban home? Beyond 300 meters for precision target shooting? 50-200 meters for dealing with those coyotes that are terrorizing your goats in all sorts of weather? Help us help you.
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 5:12:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have a couple Nikon FX1000s and I'm quite impressed with them.

The AR mount I like is the Badger Ordnance 306-96.
View Quote

They are nice, I have one, but Nikon discontinued them all.

OP, what are you looking to do with your rifle?
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 5:19:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Check out Athlon, Midas series.  Great glass for the $$$
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 5:50:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I’ll be the first to throw out the standard questions. What is your intended use for this optic? Shooting for fun at the range? Home defense? Coyotes on a ranch? What range(s) do you intend to use it for? Under 50 meters to protect your suburban home? Beyond 300 meters for precision target shooting? 50-200 meters for dealing with those coyotes that are terrorizing your goats in all sorts of weather? Help us help you.
View Quote

i have two other rifles, one with vortex red dot, and another vortex 1x.

My use for this rifle will be everything (range and shtf) so close quarters and 300m-ish+. that is why i was thinking a 1-6x .
A buddy recommended me this optic:
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1019639040

quite pricy though
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 6:37:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Your buddy’s recommendation is spot on. The Razor HD is a really solid optic. The non-E models can be had for a better price on the used market. I have the Gen II-E and I love it aside from the weight so I’d recommend the E model if you can swing it in your budget.

If the Razor is too pricey then the Viper PST 1-6 will be a solid optic as well.

I’ve become a big fanboy of Vortex as of late so I’m sure others can chime in with similar suggestions to these.

ETA: the Trijicon Credo/Accupower is a good option as well. The Steiner P4Xi is another option but it’s debatable if it’s worth it after the price increase.
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 6:45:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Your buddy’s recommendation is spot on. The Razor HD is a really solid optic. The non-E models can be had for a better price on the used market. I have the Gen II-E and I love it aside from the weight so I’d recommend the E model if you can swing it in your budget.

If the Razor is too pricey then the Viper PST 1-6 will be a solid optic as well.

I’ve become a big fanboy of Vortex as of late so I’m sure others can chime in with similar suggestions to these.

ETA: the Trijicon Credo/Accupower is another good option as well.
View Quote

i was looking at the geissele 30mm mounts. cant seem to find the 1.93s. i think i d do better with some height. which mount do you run?
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 6:53:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

i was looking at the geissele 30mm mounts. cant seem to find the 1.93s. i think i d do better with some height. which mount do you run?
View Quote

I have mine in a Badger C1 1.93

I prefer the 1.93 and Badger, Geissele, Scalarworks, and LaRue are good options for those.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 10:36:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

My use for this rifle will be everything (range and shtf) so close quarters and 300m-ish+. that is why i was thinking a 1-6x .

quite pricy though
View Quote
Very pricey but they work so well there has been Delta Force guys that have been photoed with them on their weapons in Afghanistan. Also probably one of the top ten most recommended 1-6x optics in that price range.
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 11:17:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I have mine in a Badger C1 1.93

I prefer the 1.93 and Badger, Geissele, Scalarworks, and LaRue are good options for those.

http.Com/media/mediaFiles/452430/6BE62D87-6924-4D35-8FE9-E595B40675DE_jpe-1762447.JPG
View Quote

very nice!, cannot find the badger c1 1.93 in stock anywhere either, any idea?
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 11:34:54 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Very pricey but they work so well there has been Delta Force guys that have been photoed with them on their weapons in Afghanistan. Also probably one of the top ten most recommended 1-6x optics in that price range.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

quite pricy though

I bought one of the first Razors, every other LPVO gets compared to the Razor and they all come up short. I have it on my 3 gun rifle and never even think of changing it. Both the Razor I spent a lot of money buy the ‘latest and greatest’ and never being happy.
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 11:37:44 PM EDT
[#13]
If $1K is the top end, all in I'd say Vortex PST II 1-6x24 w/ Badger or Geissele mount and throw lever / caps.  I have one and have used the heck out of it on my SCAR 16/17 and ARs.  No issues and for the cost for a Razor II, I don't see the juice being worth the squeeze if you aren't on duty or competing professionally or just have the cash.  I owned a RII briefly and returned it for an NX-8, I was that unimpressed with what it didn't bring over the PST II.  

Accupowers / Credos are ok but for the price, the PST II is hard to beat.
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 11:46:45 PM EDT
[#14]
You can get into a used VX-6 or VX-5HD for ~$600-750... much  lighter than most others, shake awake, true 1X, and crisp glass (especially the HD's).  If you get the firedot type reticles they are very daylight bright (red dot bright) where as the full illuminated BDC reticles are merely "daylight noticeable".

IMO, either would be preferable to a PST gen 1 or 2 (not to say the PST is a bad scope). The only thing I like on the gen 2 PST better is the illumination dial; Leopold's shake awake is nice but cycling through brightness with a single push button and then having to hold down until it turns off is a bit cumbersome.  Numbered dial is just better.  However, Leupold's button is not a deal breaker and it's weight/clarity advantage over the PSTII makes the choice easy for me.
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 11:56:16 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

I would just lurk on the EE until one of those pop up. 1.93 is popular so they’ll be a tough find.

Quoted:

I bought one of the first Razors, every other LPVO gets compared to the Razor and they all come up short. I have it on my 3 gun rifle and never even think of changing it. Both the Razor I spent a lot of money buy the ‘latest and greatest’ and never being happy.
View Quote

It was definitely a buy once cry once situation for me. Glad I didn’t waste my time buying another mid-range lpvo and just went for the Razor. I’d be happy with the Viper PST as well if budget is just completely strict.
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 1:34:40 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I would just lurk on the EE until one of those pop up. 1.93 is popular so they’ll be a tough find.

It was definitely a buy once cry once situation for me. Glad I didn’t waste my time buying another mid-range lpvo and just went for the Razor. I’d be happy with the Viper PST as well if budget is just completely strict.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

I was lucky a friend of mine had one of the beta testing Razors, he let me and quite a few others shoot his rifle to get opinions. I asked if he could get me one and I got one out of the first batch sold. At least I didn’t burn anymore money. I have some other LPVO’s and the ones I have are not bad, but just not on pare with the Razor, they also were quite a bit cheaper.
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 5:13:43 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
You can get into a used VX-6 or VX-5HD for ~$600-750... much  lighter than most others, shake awake, true 1X, and crisp glass (especially the HD's).  If you get the firedot type reticles they are very daylight bright (red dot bright) where as the full illuminated BDC reticles are merely "daylight noticeable".

IMO, either would be preferable to a PST gen 1 or 2 (not to say the PST is a bad scope). The only thing I like on the gen 2 PST better is the illumination dial; Leopold's shake awake is nice but cycling through brightness with a single push button and then having to hold down until it turns off is a bit cumbersome.  Numbered dial is just better.  However, Leupold's button is not a deal breaker and it's weight/clarity advantage over the PSTII makes the choice easy for me.
View Quote
The problem is finding a used VX6. I've only ever seen them used in recent times with the damn duplex reticle.
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 10:37:50 PM EDT
[#18]
Yeah. Duplex sucks. I picked up a VX-6 here for $750 with the BDC reticle this past fall.  Fantastic scope.

VX-6 is ONLY going to be used - discontinued.  They only make the VX-6HD and VX-5HD now.  The 6HD is in the Razor price race range... which has a much better reticle.  If weight isn't critical, Razors ar ethe way to go over the VX-6
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 10:26:05 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

quite pricy though
View Quote

Fantastic optic, but I am not a fan of the vortex reticle without illumination.  Hard AF to pick up on 1x.  If I'm spending a mortgage payment on glass, I want it to be close to perfect.
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 10:46:53 AM EDT
[#20]
Given your budget, I would look at the Bushnell SMRS II 1-6.5x on clearance at eurooptic. They are LOW built for Bushnell in Japan.

I have one on my SCAR-H.
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 1/5/2021 10:49:15 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Fantastic optic, but I am not a fan of the vortex reticle without illumination.  Hard AF to pick up on 1x.  If I'm spending a mortgage payment on glass, I want it to be close to perfect.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

quite pricy though

The Razor dot is day light bright even at only 6-7. Most other LPVO scopes need to be at the maximum to get close to day light bright. You won’t find a better scope until you hit about $2,000
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 12:31:46 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Given your budget, I would look at the Bushnell SMRS II 1-6.5x on clearance at eurooptic. They are LOW built for Bushnell in Japan.

I have one on my SCAR-H.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/57761/Resized_20201227_175757_jpeg-1764990.JPG
View Quote
Thats a great option. It seems like not many people mention these and they dont sell well (Eurooptic has these for under $700 right now) probably because most people recommend the Razor for the $1200 price tag. Are these daylight bright?
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 4:15:02 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

The Razor dot is day light bright even at only 6-7. Most other LPVO scopes need to be at the maximum to get close to day light bright. You won’t find a better scope until you hit about $2,000
View Quote

This.

It’s almost too bright sometimes. On setting 1 it’s brighter than some of the cheaper magnified optics I’ve tried.

I think the reticle is super easy to pick up even without illumination. Duplex brings your eye to the center and the holdovers don’t clutter it up like some mil-dot or Christmas tree reticles do.
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 4:26:57 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:Thats a great option. It seems like not many people mention these and they dont sell well (Eurooptic has these for under $700 right now) probably because most people recommend the Razor for the $1200 price tag. Are these daylight bright?
View Quote

IMO they are daylight bright, but they aren't as bright as a Razor.  If it was $1200, I would get the razor.  For $500 to $600 less, they're a good option.
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 4:32:16 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

IMO they are daylight bright, but they aren't as bright as a Razor.  If it was $1200, I would get the razor.  For $500 to $600 less, they're a good option.
View Quote
Based upon the specs I saw at optics planet maybe apart from brightness and a slightly smaller FOV (going off of memory of Razor specs) than it definitely would be worth $650.
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 4:34:57 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Based upon the specs I saw at optics planet maybe apart from brightness and a slightly smaller FOV (going off of memory of Razor specs) than it definitely would be worth $650.
View Quote
I've got three now. Thinking about getting a fourth.
Link Posted: 1/6/2021 1:49:06 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Because of you guys, I ordered one last night. I think that they were $650 a couple of weeks ago, but it was $600 yesterday.  My credit card hates me, but I had to get a scope sooner or later.
Link Posted: 1/6/2021 11:05:18 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote

But I wasn't talking about illumination?  I was talking about the ability to pick up the reticle if the batteries dead.  For me it's tougher on the Razors.  1-6 is OK but not great, the 1-10 is less than ideal.  JMO.
Link Posted: 1/6/2021 11:52:09 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Because of you guys, I ordered one last night. I think that they were $650 a couple of weeks ago, but it was $600 yesterday.  My credit card hates me, but I had to get a scope sooner or later.
View Quote
Did you get the black one?  I have two FDE and one in black.
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 1/7/2021 10:07:26 AM EDT
[#30]
What are the thoughts on Steiner PXI4
Link Posted: 1/7/2021 10:42:57 AM EDT
[#31]
Lupine. Definitely Lupine.
Link Posted: 1/7/2021 10:52:19 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

For 2017 Black Friday prices? Hell yes. In today's market? Meh, not as much.

I would be looking at the Viper 1-6 or the Delta Stryker 1-6. I have the P4Xi in an ADM Recon-H mount. The weight/balance is not bad at all, but of course I don't really want more. So, the difference in weight between the Viper and the P4Xi could be mitigated some with the mount choice for that budget. The Delta is more elusive and mysterious, but looks very promising.

Detailed and direct comparison between the Viper and Razor, with plenty of POV: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-wmvIglzNs

Reticle POV and commentary of the Delta Stryker by DLO/Ilya: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pRAfNSnGt4E
Link Posted: 1/7/2021 11:04:14 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

For 2017 Black Friday prices? Hell yes. In today's market? Meh, not as much.

I would be looking at the Viper 1-6 or the Delta Stryker 1-6. I have the P4Xi in an ADM Recon-H mount. The weight/balance is not bad at all, but of course I don't really want more. So, the difference in weight between the Viper and the P4Xi could be mitigated some with the mount choice for that budget. The Delta is more elusive and mysterious, but looks very promising.

Detailed and direct comparison between the Viper and Razor, with plenty of POV: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-wmvIglzNs

Reticle POV and commentary of the Delta Stryker by DLO/Ilya: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pRAfNSnGt4E
View Quote

I have a Viper 1-6. I like it, but it is a heavy beast
Link Posted: 1/7/2021 11:08:53 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote

When they were under $500 they were a great bargain. The glass is good, I really like the reticle. At $799 that are selling for now, there are a lot of good scopes in close to that price, the Razor, Trijicon plus a few others should be looked at first. Now if you can find a used one with a good mount for under $600 that would be a decent deal.
Link Posted: 1/7/2021 11:13:15 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

When they were under $500 they were a great bargain. The glass is good, I really like the reticle. At $799 that are selling for now, there are a lot of good scopes in close to that price, the Razor, Trijicon plus a few others should be looked at first. Now if you can find a used one with a good mount for under $600 that would be a decent deal.
View Quote

I found one for $600 new, but the delta hornet and Primary Arms look appealing. I have an NX8 and other nice optics, and I am looking for a budget $600 or less optic
Link Posted: 1/7/2021 11:20:53 AM EDT
[#36]
Atibal X FFP 1-10
Mil reticle
I have a LaRue Mount on mine.  
Link Posted: 1/7/2021 11:27:15 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I found one for $600 new, but the delta hornet and Primary Arms look appealing. I have an NX8 and other nice optics, and I am looking for a budget $600 or less optic
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you can get a new one for $600 in your hand, buy it. Still not a bad optic at that price.
Link Posted: 1/7/2021 11:34:31 AM EDT
[#38]
Not on budget but I’m loving this Nightforce ATACR 3-16 in Badger C1 mount

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/7/2021 11:34:50 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Atibal X FFP 1-10
Mil reticle
I have a LaRue Mount on mine.  
View Quote

I had an Atibal fail miserably
Link Posted: 1/7/2021 11:45:01 AM EDT
[#40]
I really like the Bushnell 1-6.5 but at its msrp price point, I'm sure the razor2 is better.  There is a decent utube video comparing high end lpvo including the razor.

This is in order of my preference which not so coincidentally, is also the order of price I paid ($200-600).

SMRS2 1-6.5
SWFA HD 1-6
Weaver tac 1-5
XTR14
Tac30

Burris rt6 would be my next choice @ around $300 and pst2, xtr2, p4x around $600.
Link Posted: 1/7/2021 10:19:35 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Did you get the black one?  I have two FDE and one in black.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/57761/Resized_20210105_214440_jpeg-1767928.JPG
View Quote

Yes. I like capped turrets better, but not the FDE color or the extra $100.  Correction - extra $130. They just dropped the price today. That's okay. It's getting here 3 days earlier than if I would have ordered it today, and my price was still good.

I still have to get a mount and am open to suggestions (would like to stay under $150, but can be persuaded to go a little higher).
Link Posted: 1/7/2021 10:37:44 PM EDT
[#42]
I just ordered another black one after the price drop today.

I may grab one of the Warne mounts from Joeboboutfitters.com for $80.
Link Posted: 1/7/2021 10:51:50 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I just ordered another black one after the price drop today.

I may grab one of the Warne mounts from Joeboboutfitters.com for $80.
View Quote

LOL. I have Warne mounts on 3 rifles, like them and they are on my list. It also helps that they're made in the USA.

PS - knowing that you have some other "decent" stuff and have a few of these scopes helped me lighten my wallet.

PPS - I'll check Joebob's. He's in a good part of the country, too. Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 12:45:04 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I really like the Bushnell 1-6.5 but at its msrp price point, I'm sure the razor2 is better.  There is a decent utube video comparing high end lpvo including the razor.

This is in order of my preference which not so coincidentally, is also the order of price I paid ($200-600).

SMRS2 1-6.5
SWFA HD 1-6
Weaver tac 1-5
XTR14
Tac30

Burris rt6 would be my next choice @ around $300 and pst2, xtr2, p4x around $600.
View Quote

You guys sold me on it
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 10:43:10 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

You guys sold me on it
View Quote
I used the Bushnell SMRS II right beside my PST today and much prefer the glass and eye box of the SMRS II.

I may have to order a 5th.
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 11:41:40 PM EDT
[#46]
I ordered the $80 Warne from Joe Bob today. I already have that mount on another rifle, so I knew it was decent. Thanks for letting me know about that deal, Jaqufrost.
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 11:55:33 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I ordered the $80 Warne from Joe Bob today. I already have that mount on another rifle, so I knew it was decent. Thanks for letting me know about that deal, Jaqufrost.
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/10/2021 10:35:00 AM EDT
[#48]
One review says that the FDE version has better glass. True?
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 10:36:21 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
One review says that the FDE version has better glass. True?
View Quote
Both my black ones aren't mounted yet. I thought they had the same glass, just different turret and color configurations.
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 1:24:23 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I used the Bushnell SMRS II right beside my PST today and much prefer the glass and eye box of the SMRS II.

I may have to order a 5th.
View Quote

I have the SMRS II Pro and was considering a PST II, so if you're talking PST Gen II (hoped illumination on it would suit me better) I may want to skip it.  Also have you weighed the black and the pro SMRS? I see a 5 ounce difference listed at Eurooptic.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top