Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/10/2021 11:51:12 PM EDT
I have an older ar10b that uses Gen1 mags (they have a little spring loaded button that pops out of the top rear of the mag when the follower gets to the top). My understanding is that all that is needed to be able to use current Gen2 mags is to replace the bolt stop with an updated version.
Would anyone know if that is correct?
Unable to make any contact with Armalite. I believe Armalite used to sell a "conversion kit". Don't know what that would consist of... maybe an updated bolt stop and some Gen2 mags?
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 11:54:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Those kits were all sold out 8+ years ago. The Armalite company was bought out by Strategic Armory a few years ago. If you call them, I doubt the new guys even know what those kits are. You’re better off buying newer ar-10b mags.
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 12:20:20 AM EDT
[#2]
Your AR10B should use both Gen 1 and Gen 2 magazines without bolt stop modification.

The conversion kit was the follower and a mag body with the magazine catch slot machined into the side.

Link Posted: 1/11/2021 11:07:12 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Your AR10B should use both Gen 1 and Gen 2 magazines without bolt stop modification.

The conversion kit was the follower and a mag body with the magazine catch slot machined into the side.

View Quote

Correct. The gen 1 bolt stops weren't terribly reliable with the gen 1 magazines, and they are not reliable with the gen 2 magazines.

This is all you need. Order two and you'll have a lifetime supply.

https://dsgarms.com/lower-receiver-parts-arm10203100
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 8:41:32 PM EDT
[#4]
My 1997 vintage AR-10 runs both gens equally well.  It still has the original stop. Granted, upon further inspection it appears to catch only by .0069 RCH
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 10:52:59 PM EDT
[#5]
I was never bothered if it locked open on the last round.  I notched a few off brand M14/M1A mags to work with the AR10B lower...
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 7:48:08 PM EDT
[#6]
The 'kits' were for converting M14 mags to work in the AR-10B.
You had to:
Trim the length of the mag lips.
Cut the hole in the side for the mag catch.
Cut a notch out of the rear of the mag, about half way down the M14 tab.
And use the replacement follower.
Seems like there was a replacement spring, or a mod to the spring also.

Will find out somewhere down the line, as I have 4 of the followers, and 4 30rd. M14 mags.
Just not really worried about it due to the extra weight 10 more rounds will add, and no 2-way range visits planed.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 12:01:49 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
My 1997 vintage AR-10 runs both gens equally well.  It still has the original stop.
View Quote

Who would have thought an Armalite AR10b as vintage...
I got mine years ago from here... on AR15.com... an FFL was having a sale, so I bought an EagleArms AR10 at a little over his cost (as he said).  This was before 2004, so I have that baked break they put.. yuck.  Pure rifle... A1 buttstock & 20" barrel (with detachable rear carry & front sight).  Probably has less then 300rnds through it... lol.

I just bought an AR10B "parts kit" from Gunbroker... basically a gun that was destroyed (receiver only).  That 16" upper & stuff cost a bit... but the current owner of Armalite is out of stock on B uppers... it was a sur buy.

I like the early AR10B mags. I get to use them in the AR10B & the M1A/M14 as combo mags.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 10:48:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Yes, there were two different ArmaLite AR-10B bolt stop catches. Yes, like you mention, you need the newer one to work on the GEN II AR-10B mags. I had to do this on my early AR-10Bs.

Link Posted: 1/29/2021 8:08:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Delete
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top