Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/18/2022 7:59:26 PM EDT
Hey guys,

So I have always doubled up my ear protection when shooting my ARs, currently have 2 suppressors in jail so once those clear I’ll just be using muffs. Until then I really like to double up just in case I break the seal on my muffs while shooting ARs

The problem I have is when shooting steel at 500 meters and beyond it’s very hard to hear the ping when doubled up.

I was thinking maybe getting electronic walker buds to use under my walker razor muffs may be the solution, the walker razors will reduce my decibels by ~25 and if the sounds is still over 85 the buds would reduce it another ~25 to where I’m good to go no matter what yea?

Is there something I am not considering or does this seem like a solid plan?
Link Posted: 5/18/2022 8:25:44 PM EDT
[#1]
No reason it shouldn't work. I've doubled up Axil buds and muffs.

I personally find it a little over the top. But it should work fine.
Link Posted: 5/18/2022 10:03:56 PM EDT
[#2]
I use surefire ep4 in-ear combined with electronic ear muffs

the surefires have a optional additional hole that can be plugged - i snip the plug off as its annoying.

with the hole unplugged it is just about a perfect system.

electronic ear muffs - first step of noise dampening and adjust external noise so you can hear small things
surefire ep4 (hole open) - second step of noise dampening, hole/channel allows some noise in.

sometimes I think its perfect and sometimes i think it is a bit too loud still.

--
the surefires are like $13 so i have a bunch of pairs in my various bags and rotate them out when they get worn out
Link Posted: 5/18/2022 11:15:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Hey guys,

So I have always doubled up my ear protection when shooting my ARs, currently have 2 suppressors in jail so once those clear I’ll just be using muffs. Until then I really like to double up just in case I break the seal on my muffs while shooting ARs

The problem I have is when shooting steel at 500 meters and beyond it’s very hard to hear the ping when doubled up.

I was thinking maybe getting electronic walker buds to use under my walker razor muffs may be the solution, the walker razors will reduce my decibels by ~25 and if the sounds is still over 85 the buds would reduce it another ~25 to where I’m good to go no matter what yea?

Is there something I am not considering or does this seem like a solid plan?
View Quote

I've done this.  It works, but there are some things to be aware of.  The mics/speakers tend to fight with each other a little bit.  Sounds can be hit or miss and sometimes just sound weird.  Also, because it's mics and speakers, it sometimes created feedback loops that were annoying.  I ended up turning of one or the other every time.  I usually do that when I'm shooting at an indoor range.  I haven't found a one is better than the other as far as which is on an which is off, but I did find that I don't like both on at the same time.  Sometimes I just use passive ear muffs with my buds.
Link Posted: 5/19/2022 8:11:46 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I've done this.  It works, but there are some things to be aware of.  The mics/speakers tend to fight with each other a little bit.  Sounds can be hit or miss and sometimes just sound weird.  Also, because it's mics and speakers, it sometimes created feedback loops that were annoying.  I ended up turning of one or the other every time.  I usually do that when I'm shooting at an indoor range.  I haven't found a one is better than the other as far as which is on an which is off, but I did find that I don't like both on at the same time.  Sometimes I just use passive ear muffs with my buds.
View Quote

Yeah you run into that with cheaper plugs especially.

The high end buds don't have that issue. I've NEVE had feedback of any kind in mine, and it sounds no different to me (speaking/listening/etc) having muffs over them or not.
Link Posted: 5/19/2022 5:30:41 PM EDT
[#5]
I use electronic muffs and foam plugs. I can turn the electronic muff volume up so I can still hear even with the plugs.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 3:15:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Electronic buds?

At the range today, I used Radians DIY custom non-electronic, and Peltor Tactical ANR muffs over, and then removed the 2 plugs (to a pocket) at the bay before hanging targets. BTW, those Radians' plugs are a great product, and easy to custom fit in minutes.

Link Posted: 5/20/2022 4:18:39 PM EDT
[#7]
This is what you seek.

Otto noizebarrier micro
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 3:26:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
This is what you seek.

Otto noizebarrier micro
View Quote
This is the way.

I double up with Howard Leights over these on the rare occasion that I shoot unsuppressed since all my ARs have brakes.

I've gotten a quick feedback squawk a couple times when I'm first putting on the HLs, but it's never persistent and doesn't happen each time either.
Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top