Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/13/2020 4:50:39 PM EDT
Hey Guys,

My son and I are doing our first build on the AR platform.  We're building around a Wilson Combat 18" stainless/fluted .223 Wylde, 1/8 twist, rifle gas, VG6 MD and Aero M4E1 receivers.  We'll likely be using an adjustable gas block but haven't picked one out yet.  The rifle will primarily be shot from a supported position (bench, prone etc..).  Our goal is to tune away as much of the felt recoil as reasonable as he's only 10 as well as tall and scrawny like his Dad.  Looking to use a carbine or A5 style tube.  He's spent a few hundred rounds behind a 6920 so he knows what we're working towards in that aspect of the build.  He's a pretty decent marksman with our rimfires and he'd like to start shooting .223.  And because there are AR's in Fortnite it's automatically way cooler than the other 15 or so guns we have already

So please notice I asked for your "favorite" in regards to setups similar to ours.  I know "Best" is subjective so if you have time just let me know what you like and why.  I'd say budget, including the stock is around $200.  I'd happily spend much less but don't mind stretching either.  Lastly, if I've left out any pertinent details to a solid recommendation please let me know.

Cheers!
Link Posted: 2/13/2020 4:54:26 PM EDT
[#1]
If you want the lightest recoil and are doing adj gas, go with the lightest buffer available and consider a lightweight bcg as well.
Link Posted: 2/13/2020 5:26:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Done that repeatedly with an LARB buffer (with the weight drilled back to achieve 3.5 oz. total), Sprinco standard carbine spring, SLR adjustable gas block, VG6 Gamma break, and a titanium bolt carrier.

Good luck!
Link Posted: 2/13/2020 5:28:09 PM EDT
[#3]
I am still testing a new build with 18" & rifle gas. Put a Spikes ST2 buffer in it since heavy buffers are in these days. Started getting FTF, fail to feed, as it wouldn't pick up the next round with 223 ammo.

I believe the buffer was too heavy, so I took it out and threw in a carbine buffer. Have not shot it with the lighter buffer yet. I would start with Carbine and work up. Probably don't need more than an H at the most. Depends on your barrels gas port dia.
Link Posted: 2/14/2020 9:03:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the feedback guys.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top