Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/23/2018 11:59:04 PM EDT
I’m putting an upper on a lower, hopefully the last one for the year , and will likely be the last one for a couple years. Looking to make it a great one.

Upper will be used for HD, carbine classes, truck duty, etc. Reliability is the #1 concern, accuracy a very, very close second.

Optics, buis, and light has already been taken care of. Originally I was set on going with the LaRue, but I figured I might as well get some more informed opinions as well.

Only requirements are:
10.3”-12.5” barrel
MLOK or 1913

LaRue, KAC, DD, Noveske, what say?
Link Posted: 9/24/2018 12:09:41 AM EDT
[#1]
Grendel with your choice of rail and optic. Can get barrel, upper, and rail around $300-500 and rest on the optic.
Link Posted: 9/24/2018 12:19:30 AM EDT
[#2]
Colt commando upper

LMT Enhanced Bolt

Add your flavor of rail and run a H2 and call it good.
Link Posted: 9/24/2018 12:33:40 AM EDT
[#3]
BCM BFH 11.5 with mcmr or QRF hand guard. Bcm BCG and whatever charging handle you want, enough money leftover to buy some ammo and whatever accessories you want.
I have Colt Noveske Larue and KAC but usually when I want to play in the dirt and beat the shit out of a gun it’s my 14.5 bcm Middy from 2008.
Link Posted: 9/24/2018 12:42:16 AM EDT
[#4]
LaRue ultimate upper.
Link Posted: 9/24/2018 12:48:09 AM EDT
[#5]
I broke from tradition recently and bought an LMT MRP complete upper, but only because the price was right. Otherwise I'd just keep building them myself.

I know it's not what you're asking, but you might entertain the idea of assembling an upper yourself. It's really not any more complex than installing an LPK. It's the same careful process and requires the same few specialty tools.

Then you can do exactly what you want.

There are endless options. It's a blast to spec and assemble your own upper.

eta: and I could spec and assemble a top tier upper for much less than $1500. Money saved buys a Geissele SSA-E
Link Posted: 9/24/2018 2:00:54 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I’m putting an upper on a lower, hopefully the last one for the year , and will likely be the last one for a couple years. Looking to make it a great one.

Upper will be used for HD, carbine classes, truck duty, etc. Reliability is the #1 concern, accuracy a very, very close second.

Optics, buis, and light has already been taken care of. Originally I was set on going with the LaRue, but I figured I might as well get some more informed opinions as well.

Only requirements are:
10.3”-12” barrel
MLOK or 1913

View Quote
 Barrel length restriction is retarded.
Link Posted: 9/24/2018 2:26:06 AM EDT
[#7]
Easy with that budget,

KAC SR15 11.5 upper.

https://www.opticsplanet.com/knight-s-armament-sr-15-urx-4-m-lok-upper-receiver-kit.html?_iv_code=KNA-UFH-QKQIQO-31963

They have 10% coupons all the time, if not I hear you can instant message them and ask for one and if that doesn't work search on the forum here and find one. That would put it in the high $1500s BUT they come with KAC sights which you can easily flip on the EE to put you well under budget.

It has all of the tech of the larger SR15 uppers so pretty much super reliability and great HD accuracy...

Another great upper would be to grab one of the DD mk18 uppers on Brownells and throw a DD bcg in it and whatever charging handle you like and save some money...
As far as accuracy of a mk18 upper.... just watch the vid,
https://youtu.be/So4a4GVWyH4
Link Posted: 9/24/2018 3:23:22 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Easy with that budget,

KAC SR15 11.5 upper.

https://www.opticsplanet.com/knight-s-armament-sr-15-urx-4-m-lok-upper-receiver-kit.html?_iv_code=KNA-UFH-QKQIQO-31963

They have 10% coupons all the time, if not I hear you can instant message them and ask for one and if that doesn't work search on the forum here and find one. That would put it in the high $1500s BUT they come with KAC sights which you can easily flip on the EE to put you well under budget.

It has all of the tech of the larger SR15 uppers so pretty much super reliability and great HD accuracy...

Another great upper would be to grab one of the DD mk18 uppers on Brownells and throw a DD bcg in it and whatever charging handle you like and save some money...
As far as accuracy of a mk18 upper.... just watch the vid,
https://youtu.be/So4a4GVWyH4
View Quote
I second this notion, I got a new 11.5 e3 cqb upper in m lok off the EE here for $1300 shipped. I’ve seen a few listings in the $1500 or less range, just have to be quick and have your eyes peeled.
Link Posted: 9/24/2018 4:11:05 AM EDT
[#9]
Within your budget if reliability/durability is your number one concern, you have two options

Kac or LMT.   Flip a coin.

All the other brands put out a good gun but at the end of the day, they are still running mil spec bcg's which are good, but not on the level as a kac/lmt bcg
Link Posted: 9/24/2018 4:51:27 AM EDT
[#10]
Build your own.
Link Posted: 9/24/2018 9:54:03 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I'm putting an upper on a lower, hopefully the last one for the year , and will likely be the last one for a couple years. Looking to make it a great one.

Only requirements are:
10.3"-12" barrel
MLOK or 1913

View Quote
My favorites of all that I have owned and still do.

LaRue
Noveske
BCM
Link Posted: 9/24/2018 10:04:16 AM EDT
[#12]
LMT MLC with the Enhanced bolt will come in under 1500. Accurate, chrome lined, proven. Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/24/2018 10:06:58 AM EDT
[#13]
$700 MRP 10.5 upper

Add $800 in glass on top.
Link Posted: 9/24/2018 10:15:21 AM EDT
[#14]
DD, BCM, URGI by geissele.

Something I’m not afraid to beat the shit out of
Link Posted: 9/24/2018 10:16:49 AM EDT
[#15]
Either build your own or buy this...

Geissele URG-I
Link Posted: 9/24/2018 6:00:32 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Colt commando upper

LMT Enhanced Bolt

View Quote
Haven't considered a Colt, but will add it to the list
Link Posted: 9/24/2018 6:15:38 PM EDT
[#17]
Can get a kac 11.5 mod 2 upper for around that price.
Link Posted: 9/25/2018 1:32:58 AM EDT
[#18]
KAC SR-15 uppers include the BUIS.

Optics planet +10% off code puts you at $1,5xx for 11.5”.
“ “ puts you at $1,137 for a radian model 1 10.5” shipped
Link Posted: 9/25/2018 2:16:23 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Geissele URG-I
View Quote
+1

Either that, or a KAC upper.
Link Posted: 9/25/2018 3:01:35 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Geissele URG-I
View Quote
Geissele all the things
Link Posted: 9/25/2018 3:06:22 AM EDT
[#21]
1. Call or email Steve of Citizen Arms, let him know what you need and have him build you an upper.
2. Find Hodge Defense parts and send it to Steve for build and accurization.
3. Get used Hodge or KAC and send it to Steve.

Neither Hodge AU-MOD2 or KAC uppers can be had for $1500 new.  The lowest I saw on new KAC MLOK 11.5 or 14.5 was $15xx.
Link Posted: 9/25/2018 3:20:30 PM EDT
[#22]
SR15 cqb MLOK mod2
Link Posted: 9/25/2018 3:25:03 PM EDT
[#23]
PWS Mk111

You're even under budget.
Link Posted: 9/25/2018 4:23:20 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Grendel with your choice of rail and optic. Can get barrel, upper, and rail around $300-500 and rest on the optic.
View Quote
He said reliability, running in classes, and 5.56 as a requirement and you suggest Grendel? Really?

Link Posted: 9/25/2018 4:26:23 PM EDT
[#25]
If I've got to spend $1,500 I'm going with a KAC 11.5" with the M-lok URX4.
Link Posted: 9/25/2018 4:29:25 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Only requirements are:
10.3”-12” barrel
MLOK or 1913

View Quote
Short list. Buy factory.

BCM 11.5. Opt for a CHF barrel. BCM uppers are tight fit with their new upper forgings and require heating which was supposed to aid in accuracy.

KAC 11.5 if you can find one.

SOLGW 11.5

Hodge 12.5 (.5 over waaaaaaaa)

Sionics 11.5

Just to name a few.
Link Posted: 9/25/2018 4:29:52 PM EDT
[#27]
BCM BFH 12.5 w/ MCMR your choice of optic light etc.
Link Posted: 9/25/2018 4:54:38 PM EDT
[#28]
Personally, i'd build one to bespoke specs with that budget...That'll guarantee it's purpose-built for exactly what you want, without any compromises whatsoever.

If going factory, probably KAC or DD. Some of the 'newer' players in the game are interesting - Triarc, ADM, Radian come to mind. My personal experience with Noveske is that they make excellent hardware, but don't make an effort to keep pace with recent innovations. It's as much a lifestyle brand as it is a firearm brand at this point (that part is subjective, of course).
Link Posted: 9/25/2018 5:00:33 PM EDT
[#29]
Either LMT or KAC would get my vote.  No surprise there.
Link Posted: 9/25/2018 5:14:16 PM EDT
[#30]
Larue, Kac, BCM,DD, roll your own
Link Posted: 9/25/2018 5:17:16 PM EDT
[#31]
Plenty of viable answers already. If it were me, I'd either wait on the Geissele 10.3" URGI to be released or go for a DD Mk18 10.3" URG right now.

If you opt for the DD Mk18 URG, you can pick one up from Brownells for around $600 to $650 if you combine coupons and a sale. Add a Colt or Toolcraft BCG, a Raptor, Geissele, PRI Gas Buster or other CH of your preference, and you're still at around $800. That gets you an excellent quality URG and leaves a good bit of change left for a headstart on quality optics and accessories.

As for the 10.3" URGI, I'm uncertain when those will actually be released. The URGI option will be a bit more expensive - especially depending on whether you go "full clone" with a Colt upper receiver and BCG - but still well under your budget. It's basically just a DD Mk18 URG with a different rail. I wouldn't hesitate to go with either option given your requirements.
Link Posted: 9/25/2018 8:33:28 PM EDT
[#32]
Daniel Defense MK18 Upper
https://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/receiver-parts/receivers/upper-receivers/mk18-stripped-socom-upper-receiver-w-handguard-only-prod81194.aspx

BCM or Standard Charging Handle
Young Manufacturing NM BCG
Whatever flash hider you like

It'd put you somewhere around $1050 for a sweet upper
Link Posted: 9/26/2018 10:31:53 PM EDT
[#33]
Colt LE6943CK - $920 and you're good to go. LE694x uppers are stupidly accurate and extremely rigid.

Swap in an LMT L7Q3 BCG and Geissele Super Charging Handle if you want to pimp it a little for extra reliability and usability.

Makes it $1310 total.

Maybe use the balance on a Surefire Warcomp 556. Nice for completely flattening out the recoil.
Link Posted: 9/26/2018 11:04:49 PM EDT
[#34]
Cqb mod 2
Link Posted: 9/26/2018 11:06:59 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Colt commando upper

LMT Enhanced Bolt

View Quote
The only options that make sense are this or KAC
Link Posted: 9/27/2018 4:14:20 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
LaRue ultimate upper.
View Quote
And have money left over for a lower and an optic...
Link Posted: 9/27/2018 4:19:50 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Only requirements are:
10.3”-12” barrel
MLOK or 1913

View Quote
Shit cans OPs requirements and orders 5 Pistol kits from PSA and ammo with the change...
Link Posted: 9/28/2018 4:17:20 PM EDT
[#38]
Knights cqb mod 2.
Link Posted: 9/28/2018 4:20:28 PM EDT
[#39]
LaRue ultimate upper kit in the caliber of your choice.  Mine would be grendel.
Link Posted: 9/28/2018 5:34:21 PM EDT
[#40]
You are really close to finding a KAC CQB Mod 2 11.5" upper for that. I found my 14.5" Mod 2 upper for $1400

The Larue is a great choice and the 12" Stealth barrel would certainly work. However, it's a bit heavy and SS precision in a 12" barrel is not needed IMO. I would prefer a chrome-lined CHF barrel.

And I still am very fond of Noveske. They have gotten some hate of as late, but I would take a 10.5" Gen III upper in a heartbeat. CHF barrel preferred, but I wouldn't pass up their SS barrels either. Like Larue, they are probably some of the most robust and long-lasting precision barrels out there.
Link Posted: 9/28/2018 8:15:11 PM EDT
[#41]
No can?   12.5

Otherwise, $800 for the upper and drop the rest on a can.
Link Posted: 9/28/2018 9:18:14 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Only requirements are:
10.3”-12” barrel
MLOK or 1913

View Quote
Vltor upper - 180
Geissele rail - 300
Bartlein barrel from Craddock precision - 550
SLR adj gas block - 120
Colt BCG - 125
Raptor CH - 80

Should be a little left for the rest
Link Posted: 9/28/2018 9:32:32 PM EDT
[#43]
Precision Reflex Inc. - Mark 12 Mod 0 Gen II upper.
Link Posted: 9/28/2018 10:03:49 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Precision Reflex Inc. - Mark 12 Mod 0 Gen II upper.
View Quote
thats ever so slightly above his  barrel length requirements.
Link Posted: 9/28/2018 11:06:54 PM EDT
[#45]
Slight update (backdate?) just so I’m not ghosting everyone.

From what my research has dictated, I should buy one of everything, from everyone. Way too many options, and I have definitely over analyzed this.

After a bit more analysis, I need to step back my budget a bit. KAC is out of the running, unless I get really really drunk. Or find someone practically giving one away on the used market.

Initial plan was to steal optics, triggers, etc. from other uppers and lowers to make a well rounded instrument. After thinking about it (too much) that would leave me with inoperable uppers and lowers. Doesn’t make much sense.

I have now decided to take part of the original budget and buy another optic, trigger, sling, and light. That is in progress now.

This will be shot with can about half of the time. Barrel length has been narrowed down to 11.5” - 12.5”.

Optic will be an RDS, potentially with a magnifier.

Use will still be: HD, truck gun, carbine class, 2 gun matches, mid range plinking when I get bored, and general all purpose I’m going to beat this thing up a bit. Because of the classes and matches, this is going to get warm.

Reliability is paramount, and accuracy still a very close second. For no reason other than I want to make holes where I aim.

Since I primarily shoot lefty, gas is going to suck. I’ve added PWS to the list of considerations due to the service they’ve provided in anyswering my questions, warranty, and adjustable gas block. I could care less about the piston system itself.

Options in the running:
-LaRue 12” UU kit
-PWS 11.5” upper
-BCM 12.5” standard MCMR upper

LaRue - Can it handle being beat up, heated up, and still be exceptionally reliable with a bit of abuse, or is it just a great precision weapon? Come with BCG, CH, and MBT trigger. As long as I don’t use the kit as an anchor, nor hammer, it will be covered.

PWS - No real questions. Will need to buy trigger. Lifetime warranty.

BCM - Am I able to go over to the mid-range and hit steel at the 4-500 mark with decent ammo, or is it just a fighting rifle? Will still need to pick up another BCG, CH, and trigger. Lifetime workmanship warranty.

Regardless, all will have to have the muzzle device replaced. I need to rebarrel another rifle, as well as have another threaded, so I can send a bulk package to adco for assembly/swaps if needed.

I am thinking about this way too much.
Link Posted: 9/30/2018 7:36:19 PM EDT
[#46]
I want to add criterion barrels to your list.  Probably the best option for what you are looking at.
Link Posted: 9/30/2018 7:38:09 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I want to add criterion barrels to your list.  Probably the best option for what you are looking at.
View Quote
Hell yeah, Criterion is where it's at for getting a chromed CMV barrel that is still wonderfully accurate. It's like being able to put a Colt SOCOM barrel on anything.
Link Posted: 9/30/2018 7:57:14 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote
ill second a +1 for criterion. they make some incredibly accurate barrels from what ive seen (ar10 and bolt gun)

OP if KAC isnt a possibility then ill throw my hat in the larue ring, or do a home build around a criterion with a headspaced matched bolt.
Link Posted: 10/1/2018 2:42:02 PM EDT
[#49]
Colt Commando 11.5". Put the money you save toward ammo/accessories. My rifle isn't cutting edge but it does everything I need it to do. Other than the MG's, it's my favorite rifle.

Attachment Attached File
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top