Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/28/2018 12:45:11 AM EDT
Is it typical for the Federal XM80C to look so rough? So scratched and dented? The rounds look like they were pulled out of belts, or perhaps they are reloads. Also, what is with the dots on the case head? The rounds have between zero and four dots on the case head.
Link Posted: 1/28/2018 3:43:42 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/28/2018 1:04:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Weird because I have purchased thousands of rounds of Federal and American Eagle 5.56 M193, and I know what military ammo looks like. Although it's difficult to capture it in pictures, these XM80C rounds look like reloads, pull-downs or crap that was left to corrode in a bin. They feature corrosion, dents, scratches, crud, and just look like crap.

In 7.62x51, I have owned and used Hirtenberger, GGG, and Radway Green. In 5.56, I have owned and used Federal, AE, IMI, and IVI. This XM80C looks worse by far than any of the 30 year old surplus ammo that I have used over the years. Definitely not worth the money even at 50 cents a round.
Link Posted: 1/28/2018 5:38:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Weird because I have purchased thousands of rounds of Federal and American Eagle 5.56 M193, and I know what military ammo looks like. Although it's difficult to capture it in pictures, these XM80C rounds look like reloads, pull-downs or crap that was left to corrode in a bin. They feature corrosion, dents, scratches, crud, and just look like crap.

In 7.62x51, I have owned and used Hirtenberger, GGG, and Radway Green. In 5.56, I have owned and used Federal, AE, IMI, and IVI. This XM80C looks worse by far than any of the 30 year old surplus ammo that I have used over the years. Definitely not worth the money even at 50 cents a round.
View Quote
Milspec Ammo is often not cleaned and polished so as to prove that the brass is annealed. This is a visual QC check. Virtually all my xm193 and xm855 looks just like that.
Link Posted: 1/28/2018 5:46:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Maybe the pics aren't doing justice to just how dirty this ammo is, and how rough the brass looks. I know what annealing looks like. This is the crappiest, ugliest ammo I have ever seen, and I am not comparing it to commercial when I say that.
Link Posted: 1/30/2018 12:50:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Is this from PSA? Mine is coming tomorrow and I'll take a look for comparison.  I'm guessing this might be the reason it's on clearance for so cheap.
Link Posted: 1/30/2018 12:56:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Looks like LC 2nds and 3rds to me.

Shoot it!
Link Posted: 1/30/2018 2:56:20 PM EDT
[#7]
FPNI

Shoot it.
Link Posted: 1/30/2018 11:02:23 PM EDT
[#8]
i bought a box of bulk LC m80 that has some weird brown shit growing on some of the case. goes bang though.
Link Posted: 1/31/2018 3:39:10 AM EDT
[#9]
Looks like the stuff I’ve bought. Produced surprisingly good groups out of my PA10 for bulk FMJ ammo. Around 1.5” at 100 yards
Link Posted: 1/31/2018 9:40:01 AM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
FPNI

Shoot it.
View Quote
The dots are an in house counting system, found By Googeling.  Think about it, bright shinny brass reflecting muzzle fire, looks like a bright waterfall signaling your location,  and the cost of the extra polishing is not needed.  NATO vs. SAAMI specs.
Link Posted: 1/31/2018 12:12:59 PM EDT
[#11]
I got some 2013 lot XM80 and brass is tarnished AF, but I'm sure it will shoot fine.
Link Posted: 2/13/2018 4:48:36 PM EDT
[#12]
Looks like typical bulk military ammunition to me. Also appears to have been de-linked, so possibly from a lot that did not make acceptance for a .mil order.

Honestly, nothing at all wrong looking with that ammunition.

The "dots" are a numbering system used to identify which station on the machinery made the case. It's called an Octal numbering system and has been used on the high speed SCAMP machinery at LC for many decades...
Link Posted: 2/16/2018 9:24:54 AM EDT
[#13]
Look pretty typical. If it shoots bad I would worry but otherwise no problem.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top