Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/14/2018 1:13:26 PM EDT
Just finished this partial restoration of an XM177E2.  All of the parts, except for the back half of the receiver and moderator, are period Colt.   Braceman did the welding and engraving of the back half of the receiver.  John Thomas cut down my Colt 16 inch barrel, that was marked "C MP B" on the bottom making this a very early barrel.  John cut it down to the property length and installed one of Brick's moderators.  The overall barrel length is the legal 16 inches.  Thought some of you may want to see the progress pictures of the build.

Link Posted: 6/14/2018 1:24:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Nice
What product to color the lower?
Link Posted: 6/14/2018 1:37:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Attachment Attached File

What finish is this? It looks weird, could it be the lighting?
Link Posted: 6/14/2018 2:01:16 PM EDT
[#3]

DUDE.  That is so cool.  Really.  Longer than 4 hours.  Uh, No homo.

Now, somebody has to ask, and no one likes a buzz-kill...and I TOTALLY understand this receiver doesn't have the legacy rear half, the fun hole, nor the clearance for it -- but how do you get around the REWAT rule of once a machinegun, always a machinegun?

Did I mention I want it?
Link Posted: 6/14/2018 2:25:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Beautiful!
Link Posted: 6/14/2018 2:56:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/uploads24/Raccoon+ReallyReallyWant13449739731421957529.jpg

Now, somebody has to ask, and no one likes a buzz-kill...and I TOTALLY understand this receiver doesn't have the legacy rear half, the fun hole, nor the clearance for it -- but how do you get around the REWAT rule of once a machinegun, always a machinegun?

Did I mention I want it?
View Quote
I thought once the receiver was crushed and destroyed, it was no longer a gun. That allowed people to do reweld kits of other guns and be in the clear. I think the once a machinegun, always a machinegun is from converting machineguns into semi autos.
Link Posted: 6/14/2018 4:32:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Nice
What product to color the lower?
View Quote
I used Norrell's Blackish Grey.
Link Posted: 6/14/2018 4:34:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/455144/D1aoOhi-575652.JPG

What finish is this? It looks weird, could it be the lighting?
View Quote
Yes, it's the lighting.  It was also just taken out of the oven and was dry.  It darkens up after oiling.
Link Posted: 6/14/2018 4:36:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/uploads24/Raccoon+ReallyReallyWant13449739731421957529.jpg

Did I mention I want it?
View Quote
This was a Demil, not a Dewat.  Was totally destroyed and no longer a firearm.  A Dewat is a Deactivated War Trophy and was not destroyed.
Link Posted: 6/14/2018 6:21:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Why did you do a fence in the lower ala Troy? Surely you could have done a 6920 type lower.
Link Posted: 6/14/2018 6:36:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Why did you do a fence in the lower ala Troy? Surely you could have done a 6920 type lower.
View Quote
The XM177E2s had a full fence whereas the XM177E1s did not.  The magwell is from an actual XM177E2 which has the full fence.
Link Posted: 6/14/2018 6:44:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Sexy as all get out!!!!! Well done!!!!!!
Link Posted: 6/14/2018 7:44:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Sexy as all get out!!!!! Well done!!!!!!
View Quote
Thanks!
Link Posted: 6/14/2018 8:50:29 PM EDT
[#13]
Jealous !! Excellent looking carbine
Link Posted: 6/14/2018 8:55:20 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote
Because the M4 is barred from the retro section, he cloned a XM177E2 and the front half is original Colt. Nice carbine M4it for sure!!  Have you thought of making her into a SBR on a Form 1?
Link Posted: 6/14/2018 8:57:34 PM EDT
[#15]
Damn!!  That's awesome!
Link Posted: 6/14/2018 9:31:55 PM EDT
[#16]
JT did some work on mine as well.
I did the unthinkable and assembled it as a dedicated .22

It was for the children
Link Posted: 6/14/2018 9:38:21 PM EDT
[#17]
Very very nice!!!!!  Please do a group photo with your previous restored rifles.
Link Posted: 6/14/2018 10:19:25 PM EDT
[#18]
Very nice!
Link Posted: 6/14/2018 11:45:18 PM EDT
[#19]
Cant wait to get mine painted (same paint) and put together. Hopefully this weekend I dont have anything else to do. Great job and I def need a demilled XM177e2
Link Posted: 6/15/2018 1:49:48 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Because the M4 is barred from the retro section, he cloned a XM177E2 and the front half is original Colt. Nice carbine M4it for sure!!  Have you thought of making her into a SBR on a Form 1?
View Quote
I live in Kalifornnia.   We are not allowed to own SBRs here.
Link Posted: 6/15/2018 2:34:52 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There's a retro-relevant loophole.  SBRs are allowed without a dangerous weapons permit if they are C&R (50 years old or older).  Of course, SBR-ing most semi-autos will make them assault weapons.  But if you have an old Colt from 1968 or earlier registered to you, you can SBR it to your heart's content as far as I can tell, since it's already an AW by name and overall length is irrelevant.

Doesn't help younger folks such as myself who were not adults back when Roberti-Roos was implemented, but still neat.  Makes me wonder if anyone's ever tried it.
Link Posted: 6/15/2018 1:25:36 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

There's a retro-relevant loophole.  SBRs are allowed without a dangerous weapons permit if they are C&R (50 years old or older).  Of course, SBR-ing most semi-autos will make them assault weapons.  But if you have an old Colt from 1968 or earlier registered to you, you can SBR it to your heart's content as far as I can tell, since it's already an AW by name and overall length is irrelevant.

Doesn't help younger folks such as myself who were not adults back when Roberti-Roos was implemented, but still neat.  Makes me wonder if anyone's ever tried it.
View Quote
I don't even recall even seeing any ARs in any of the gun shops around where I live in Kalifornia until the late 1970s.  I bought my first one in 1977.  Even this XM177E2 that I restored is California compliant since the magazine is fixed.  Crazy laws!  As if anyone with criminal intent is going to abide by them.
Link Posted: 6/15/2018 1:37:45 PM EDT
[#23]
It’s got that jungle corrosion on the anodizing. Bet it was used in VN.
Link Posted: 6/15/2018 3:25:28 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
It’s got that jungle corrosion on the anodizing. Bet it was used in VN.
View Quote
It came out of the Naval Surface Warfare Center at Crane Indiana so at least I have a little history on it.
Link Posted: 6/15/2018 7:39:57 PM EDT
[#25]
Dang.......that build is flipping awesome
Link Posted: 6/15/2018 7:48:55 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Dang.......that build is flipping awesome
View Quote
Thanks!
Link Posted: 6/16/2018 8:24:32 AM EDT
[#27]
That stick is reDANKulous!
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top