Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/8/2021 6:32:31 PM EDT
Heya folks I am building a few AR's and hopefully can get these questions answered:

For the XM177E2 I have an innovative industries moderator on order and a grenade ring I am trying to figure out barrel choices for building: Either a 11.5" two tax stamp gun or what is the shortest barrel I can get away without having to do two tax stamps?

Regarding the aluminum/fiberlite buttstocks what era/year did they change the collapsible stock hardware from a C-clip retainer for the stock stop pin to the cross pin style for the stock stop pin?

Link Posted: 1/8/2021 7:27:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

My ‘177 barrel is a cut-down 6520 barrel w/ a Brick moderator & original grenade ring. The barrel is 14.0” from the rear of the barrel extension to muzzle w/ the fake moderator pinned-n-welded, bringing overall length to a non-NFA 16.1”. Upon further measuring, total length is 16.75”.
Link Posted: 1/8/2021 11:03:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 12:10:51 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Heya folks I am building a few AR's and hopefully can get these questions answered:

For the XM177E2 I have an innovative industries moderator on order and a grenade ring I am trying to figure out barrel choices for building: Either a 11.5" two tax stamp gun or what is the shortest barrel I can get away without having to do two tax stamps?

Regarding the aluminum/fiberlite buttstocks what era/year did they change the collapsible stock hardware from a C-clip retainer for the stock stop pin to the cross pin style for the stock stop pin?

View Quote

Sounds like you are going with their NFA moderator https://innovativeindustriesllc.com/xm177-moderator/.
I would bite the bullet and stamp an appropriate lower and run the correct barrel length. I think most of us built our XM177E2 clones with faux moderators permanently pinned and welded to bring our barrels to non NFA length. I know I did. If I were to go NFA I would use a 10" barrel and build an XM177E1.

The stocks with the c-clip on the adjusting pin are newer commercial, the original stocks has a slotted hole through the nut and were pinned through.
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 3:42:25 AM EDT
[#4]
Thank you for the info so far.

Why I chose the XM177E2, is I am cloning a specific rifle that a friend of mine carried when he was in the service in the early 80's and I always thought it was a neat variant. Originally I was going for a XM177E1 but I decided to change it around after talking to him.

Regarding the collapsible stock nut: Who started using the C-clip if it is not a military modification? I am genuinely curious as to when this happened? I used to believe that it was just pinned; but I found a C-clip that was in use recently. I later saw a vendor (Retro Rifles) selling them so that got me thinking that maybe this happened? But if I am wrong in this supposition which I admit is quite possible let me know please. I am trying to just get to the bottom of this.

This stems from me not knowing much about the minutiae of these older carbine variants. I am trying to avoid the frustration of buying the wrong parts for my builds.

Link Posted: 1/9/2021 1:02:38 PM EDT
[#5]
If you are putting the effort to put an NFA moderator on the gun, than I would bite the bullet and do a proper length barrel. Besides, all other longer barrels look weird IMO.
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 4:41:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote
Several years ago, Brick made a lengthened replica of the XM177E2/GAU-5AA moderator that was identical, but was 5.5" long. Combined with a 12.5" barrel length, it kept the look and did not require a tax stamp, but it was a P&W job.
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 6:52:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thank you for the info so far.

Why I chose the XM177E2, is I am cloning a specific rifle that a friend of mine carried when he was in the service in the early 80's and I always thought it was a neat variant. Originally I was going for a XM177E1 but I decided to change it around after talking to him.

Regarding the collapsible stock nut: Who started using the C-clip if it is not a military modification? I am genuinely curious as to when this happened? I used to believe that it was just pinned; but I found a C-clip that was in use recently. I later saw a vendor (Retro Rifles) selling them so that got me thinking that maybe this happened? But if I am wrong in this supposition which I admit is quite possible let me know please. I am trying to just get to the bottom of this.

This stems from me not knowing much about the minutiae of these older carbine variants. I am trying to avoid the frustration of buying the wrong parts for my builds.

View Quote

Here is some information on the Model 629/XM177E2. You may find it helpful. If you already have this, disregard.
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top