Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/9/2024 8:48:53 PM EDT
I noticed that the XM16E1 had this roll pin installed at the rear that isn't present on the M16 / M16A1.

The H&R repro lowers have it as well.

What is it for? I'm working on making an XM16 clone from an 80% so pondering if it is necessary.

Link Posted: 4/9/2024 8:54:25 PM EDT
[#1]
On the originals, it locks in the buffer tube.

On the H&Rs it's there for looks.

On Cav Arms Mk2s, GWACS, KP-15, it retains the buffer retaining pin.
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 8:57:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By backbencher:

View Quote

That makes sense.

So I assume that the buffer tube would be installed, drilled through the hole then pinned at the factory?
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 9:10:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By MrFolgers:

That makes sense.

So I assume that the buffer tube would be installed, drilled through the hole then pinned at the factory?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By MrFolgers:
Originally Posted By backbencher:

That makes sense.

Yes. During late XM16E1 production it was realized it wasnt necessary and was eliminated.
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 12:13:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Shane733] [#4]
The Colt 607 / XM5857 had two. One to stake the buffer tube in place and one to stake the lower stock adjusting rod. H&R has the buffer tube roll pin hole drilled but not the stock rod hole in their 607 lowers too.
https://palmettostatearmory.com/harrington-richardson-xm607-carbine-lower-receiver-gray.html

I have a couple 607s but have not installed the roll pins yet. I do not remember my hole actually in the threads. I thought H&R drilled it a tad low to miss them. (Just for looks) Maybe they are in the threads? Anyway, I seen a discussion on Reddit where a few people's roll pins were seizing up halfway or not going all the way through. They were cutting short pins and installing from each side. Some places selling the short pins. Harbor Freight has 315 piece roll pin sets for like $7. I have had to use several on my builds. If need be, shorten on grinder. Put in your drill chuck to hold and sand the end smooth.
https://www.harborfreight.com/315-piece-roll-pin-assortment-67682.html
https://intlmilco.com/short-roll-pins-xm16e1-601-602/
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 6:12:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 17Liberty76] [#5]
Originally Posted By Kalahnikid:

Yes. During late XM16E1 production it was realized it wasnt necessary and was eliminated.
View Quote

Actually the tubes themselves were not drilled the roll pin would catch the threads if anything that’s the part of the tube that was drilled if anything (threads only)

Here’s my the rear section of my demilled 601 with tube and roll pin still intact for reference.  

H&R and Nodak drill/ed them lower just for looks
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top