Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/22/2018 6:19:41 PM EDT
After months of parts hoarding, this rifle finally came to fruition. I was going for an early 603, but compromised a bit ending up with a late XM16E1. All parts USGI except the stripped lower.

Barrel was NOS and was faux aged.
Furniture was waxed for shiny, worn appearance. (Grip is actually H&R, but I like the bigger grip).
Early bayonet and scabbard (note lack of metal protective tip on scabbard).
Upper is natural Colt wear, the rest of the rifle was made to match.

Attempts to use bleach concentrate to age the lower failed. (Nodak is nice anodizing!)
Instead, a light gauge wire wheel was used to take the anodizing down to the bronze layer, then shaken around in a box of bolts and oiled.

I was originally going to use an outstanding condition bronze H&R upper, but I just couldn't get the anodizing on the lower to wear and match.

20180622_143027 by A K, on Flickr
20180622_143047 by A K, on Flickr
20180622_143124 by A K, on Flickr
20180622_143137 by A K, on Flickr
20180622_143149 by A K, on Flickr
20180622_143206 by A K, on Flickr
20180622_143213 by A K, on Flickr
20180622_143232 by A K, on Flickr
20180622_143302 by A K, on Flickr
20180622_143403 by A K, on Flickr
20180622_143421 by A K, on Flickr
20180622_143454 by A K, on Flickr
20180622_143507 by A K, on Flickr
20180622_143750 by A K, on Flickr
20180622_143940 by A K, on Flickr
20180622_144050 by A K, on Flickr
Link Posted: 6/22/2018 6:46:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Very tastefully done, I like it.
Link Posted: 6/22/2018 7:28:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Very nicely done. I am not yet that brave.
Link Posted: 6/22/2018 7:52:50 PM EDT
[#3]
First of all nice rifle. If I understand you correctly you some how acquired a NOS Hydra-Matic barrel a faux aged it?  IMHO...........she needs a 3 prong flash hider but don't loose the birdcage. That's a GM bird cage FWIW so don't loose it. I'm assuming you also realize that's a GM charging handle?
Link Posted: 6/22/2018 8:33:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Love BFPU’s and yours is a nice one!
Link Posted: 6/23/2018 12:21:48 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
First of all nice rifle. If I understand you correctly you some how acquired a NOS Hydra-Matic barrel a faux aged it?  IMHO...........she needs a 3 prong flash hider but don't loose the birdcage. That's a GM bird cage FWIW so don't loose it. I'm assuming you also realize that's a GM charging handle?
View Quote
Ah yes, you are correct on the CH. (I could have swore I saw a thread on here indicating the dots were GM) I might switch it to Colt.

The barrel though, I believe to be Colt. Am I incorrect in that?
Link Posted: 6/23/2018 5:56:23 AM EDT
[#6]
Great looking rifle, I am a huge BFPU fan as well and it seems most any older build I do ends up BFPU to some degree.  Still in the learning phases myself for what works best to "age them" but have had some success with that.  I am wanting to learn how to brown the metal next so I can give the port doors, forward assists, barrels etc. that natural patina they tend to get.

I really dig that rack number as well, you don't see many of them done like that up top.  I am a sucker for those rack numbers, they just add the right amount of character to the build.  You have a really nice rifle to enjoy there.

I'd probably swap out that charging handle as well and save that one for a later GM build if you end up doing one, and if not sell it or trade it to someone doing one.  While they aren't extremely rare, they aren't too common either and it adds a nice touch to a GM clone.
Link Posted: 6/23/2018 6:16:59 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Ah yes, you are correct on the CH. (I could have swore I saw a thread on here indicating the dots were GM) I might switch it to Colt.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nope......that's a GM barrel. The FSB markings coupled with the C in line with the MP on the right side of the barrel settles it.  I have a GM build with a 100% original upper and I'll post a picture of the barrel after work today. This is why I was shocked when you said you aged a NOS Hydra-Matic barrel. That barrel would have went for some decent cash at auction and you probably could have got a nice MP 12 or M VP 12 barrel with a forged FSB for the XM build you have.  Mint GM barrels are pretty hard to come by.
Link Posted: 6/23/2018 6:24:18 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Nope......that's a GM barrel. The FSB markings coupled with the C in line with the MP on the right side of the barrel settles it.  I have a GM build with a 100% original upper and I'll post a picture of the barrel after work today. This is why I was shocked when you said you aged a NOS Hydra-Matic barrel. That barrel would have went for some decent cash at auction and you probably could have got a nice MP 12 or M VP 12 barrel with a forged FSB for the XM build you have.  Mint GM barrels are pretty hard to come by.
View Quote
Well poop... haha. I have this GM upper I wanted to use, but couldn't get the anodizing to match on the lower. Maybe I'll just have to swap out and enjoy the mismatch.

20180622_220206 by A K, on Flickr
Link Posted: 6/23/2018 6:57:02 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote
@Tazaroo, How do you tell the difference between a GM and a Colt birdcage?
Link Posted: 6/23/2018 7:00:04 AM EDT
[#10]
Excellent job!!!!!
Link Posted: 6/23/2018 7:34:51 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The devil is in the detail of the flats on the FH. GM birdcages hast rough markings, cuts if you will on the flats and Colts are smooth. The cuts on mine are the same as his. Pictures when I'm off duty later.
Link Posted: 6/23/2018 8:25:13 AM EDT
[#12]
Dang it now I have to go look at all my flashiders.

Good info
Link Posted: 6/23/2018 9:36:15 AM EDT
[#13]
You're so close to a bfpu GM M16A1 it isn't even funny
Link Posted: 6/23/2018 1:55:10 PM EDT
[#14]
Shot it or a safe queen?
Link Posted: 6/23/2018 2:13:08 PM EDT
[#15]
ankratz (and anyone else interested in the markings on the FH)......here are some pictures I just took. The MP C are on the right side of the barrel on a GM. The FSB will have a forge code (they are different from batch to batch) and there will be a marking on the bayo lug. My head shadow is obscuring mine. Regarding the birdcage...notice the flats on mine have the same cuts/grind marks as yours does. I've owned one other original GM upper which exhibited the same markings on the flats and observed one other in a armory that had the same markings on the flats also. Colt birdcages are noticeably smoother. You should really pair that barrel with the upper you showed a pic of. The dust cover, FA and sight wheel are all GM and the two together would enhance the value.

Link Posted: 6/23/2018 5:47:18 PM EDT
[#16]
BFPU - Maybe.

But...., it sure does look like the condition of a lot of arms room issued weapons right before the big turn-in of A1s for M16A2s during the mid-80s.

Or the way our M4s looked after a year of OEF/OIF.  
Link Posted: 6/25/2018 6:42:02 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Shot it or a safe queen?
View Quote
@scottrh2, I just built it, but I'm for sure going to go blast with this thing.
Link Posted: 6/25/2018 6:43:25 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
ankratz (and anyone else interested in the markings on the FH)......here are some pictures I just took. The MP C are on the right side of the barrel on a GM. The FSB will have a forge code (they are different from batch to batch) and there will be a marking on the bayo lug. My head shadow is obscuring mine. Regarding the birdcage...notice the flats on mine have the same cuts/grind marks as yours does. I've owned one other original GM upper which exhibited the same markings on the flats and observed one other in a armory that had the same markings on the flats also. Colt birdcages are noticeably smoother. You should really pair that barrel with the upper you showed a pic of. The dust cover, FA and sight wheel are all GM and the two together would enhance the value.

https://i.imgur.com/3q8qIhU.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/uFuG3Wh.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/FJ6oyP4.jpg
View Quote
@Tazaroo, thank you for the great info!

I'm definately going to swap the GM upper. I'll try lightening up the lower a bit, I just don't want to lose what bronze I do have in it.

How do you tell a GM bolt carrier? That would need swapped to be correct.

Also, wasn't it H&R that made the larger pistol grips? Or was that GM?
Link Posted: 6/25/2018 7:31:37 PM EDT
[#19]
Very nice build!
Link Posted: 6/26/2018 5:41:02 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I'm definately going to swap the GM upper. I'll try lightening up the lower a bit, I just don't want to lose what bronze I do have in it.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://i.imgur.com/3q8qIhU.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/uFuG3Wh.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/FJ6oyP4.jpg

@ankratz ,  This is a NOS GM BCG I got a few years ago. It's no longer NOS........  If you look closely at the right side of the carrier under the key you'll see horizontal rough machine markings. Always the sure sign of a GM carrier and the bolt is pictured also. Besides the MP markings the way they are they seem to have a greenish hue to them also. Regarding the grips, it seems to me that dimensionally they are quite the same but the internal markings are different.

Link Posted: 7/4/2018 12:39:35 AM EDT
[#21]
Nice work
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top