Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/12/2020 9:38:55 PM EDT
I've decided to build as close of possible representation of an A2.  I've been doing a lot of research and reading all over the internet.  I started with the PSA clone lower.  I've not got it in yet, so I'm not sure what the color will be (on the grayer side of black or true black).  Pictures look like it's true anodized black.  But it's hard to tell.  I've read about some A2 uppers and would like it to match as best as possible to this lower.  Right now I'm looking at the Del-Ton, Fulton Armory, and RRA uppers (I'd like the RSA to be installed but that's not a requirement.  I can do it if need be).  Are there others I haven't found?  Cost is always a factor, and as much as I'm a value guy, I want this to 1, function properly, 2, look accurate, and 3, last.  I'm leaning towards the WW barrel 20" assembly as well with the RRA A2 buttstock.   Has anyone used this lower in an A2 build? What upper A2 did you pair it with?  Care to share some pictures?  Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 4/12/2020 10:02:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Welcome and good luck with your build. The PSA lower (I have one) is on the black side and will match up pretty well with most current A2 uppers. You just need to avoid the older Colt A2’s that have a gray finish. Look at JSE’s offerings as well.
Mine is paired with a Colt upper, but a more black Colt. It is not perfect, but it looks good. If you are truly wanting to build a close representation, don’t worry too much about a perfect match. Most in the real world don’t.
Link Posted: 4/12/2020 10:21:22 PM EDT
[#2]
I bought a Capco A2 complete upper and put it on a Fulton Armory receiver.  Rest of furniture was bought off ebay.

Link Posted: 4/12/2020 11:12:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/13/2020 8:50:06 AM EDT
[#4]
I wouldn't stress about an exact color match because chances are, there will be variations in finishes in the upper compared to the lower.  My PSA A2 lower is pretty dark and has "flecks" in it where my black FN a2 upper I had was not as dark and was perfectly smooth.  A newer production upper from FA or similar would probably match better.  The barrel is an excellent choice.  I'd just go with a good BCG like Toolcraft or AO Precision to finish it off.
Link Posted: 4/13/2020 8:50:37 AM EDT
[#5]
I used a PSA lower along with a DPMS A2 upper on mine. I went with a Windham barrel and handguards. It looks good and shoots good.

One grey versus black:

I was in the Army from 1989 to 1996 and never recall seeing grey receivers. Some were lighter than others but all were black. Years of using CLP will turn a grey receiver dark, especially when you have to use enough CLP to make the rifle shine for parades and ceremonies.
Link Posted: 4/13/2020 7:31:16 PM EDT
[#6]
The PSA lower is as black as they come.  In the picture below I used a PSA lower off my M16A4 build. For my upper I missed the boat on the Capco uppers but I did score a nice early FNMI instead.

Attachment Attached File

I’m looking to try and get a better match on the lower and have a separate thread going where I’ve detailed out what I’ve looked at so far.

I really can’t be of any help on the other uppers as I haven’t really looked into those.
Link Posted: 4/13/2020 10:15:09 PM EDT
[#7]
I sent Del-ton an email about their complete upper.  The response wasn't good.  No ETA and they have been out of stock for awhile. I guess that's better than we don't make them anymore....more to come.
Link Posted: 4/13/2020 10:16:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I used a PSA lower along with a DPMS A2 upper on mine. I went with a Windham barrel and handguards. It looks good and shoots good.

One grey versus black:

I was in the Army from 1989 to 1996 and never recall seeing grey receivers. Some were lighter than others but all were black. Years of using CLP will turn a grey receiver dark, especially when you have to use enough CLP to make the rifle shine for parades and ceremonies.
View Quote

I hear ya on the CLP.

When you get a chance would you mind sharing a picture?
Link Posted: 4/14/2020 11:15:37 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I hear ya on the CLP.

When you get a chance would you mind sharing a picture?
View Quote
Here it is.

Link Posted: 4/14/2020 2:12:37 PM EDT
[#10]

Thanks!!  Just what I wanted to see!!
Link Posted: 4/14/2020 7:05:48 PM EDT
[#11]
The Windham handguards are well made and comparable to Colts. The only thing I don't care for is how shiny they are compared to the rest of my rifle.
Link Posted: 4/15/2020 10:53:00 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Thanks!!  Just what I wanted to see!!
View Quote

Which stock is that?  UTG?
Link Posted: 4/16/2020 12:11:01 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Which stock is that?  UTG?
View Quote
Yes I do believe it is the UTG stock. I actually like it better than the A2 stocks that PSA sells.
Link Posted: 4/25/2020 8:57:19 PM EDT
[#14]
The WW A2 barrel shoots,it is a good quality barrel.
Link Posted: 4/26/2020 7:46:08 AM EDT
[#15]
Those Fulton A2 uppers are very nice.
Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top