Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/7/2021 10:00:24 PM EDT
Wood AR stocks have been around for some time but are not commonly seen and are a little expensive, but interesting.  

These look like a good way to customize something that is simply different from ordinary though some purist may say it is sacrilegious to put wood on an AR as it might be to put plastic on a Garand.

Functionally, are these as durable as wood on other firearms?  It seems these could be pretty thin in spots, at least if duplicating a regular A1 or A2 stock and hand guard set up.

Is there a particular type out there that is "best"?

Is there any type that might attach to a carbine buffer tube rather than an A1/A2 buffer tube?
Link Posted: 7/7/2021 10:19:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Don't know much about wood stocks for ARs, but the only carbine/collapsible stocks that I have seen are simply laminate overlaid polymer.
Link Posted: 7/7/2021 10:31:18 PM EDT
[#2]
I have the Black Guns Wood set that I put on a Model 1 Sales A2 kit. The barrel is an E. R. Shaw barrel and is a very good shooter.
I call it the "Queen". It is heavy but a good bench shooter. The fit is perfect. The stock is .200" thicker than a standard stock. I do not have a triangle handguard to compare to but it is 2.630 flat to point at the widest.
I have never found any other kits.

LK
Link Posted: 7/7/2021 10:41:11 PM EDT
[#3]
I will ask a legitimate question.  And yes, I know this is not GD.

There are hundreds of AK variants out there with cheap looking wood stocks and forearm parts.

Why not just buy a wood furniture trash can gun and leave the AR platform alone?  Save yourself some money.
Link Posted: 7/7/2021 10:42:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Boyds has AR15 wood stocks as well, but the butt stock is not as nice as the Black Guns Wood .
Link Posted: 7/7/2021 10:45:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 7/7/2021 10:48:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 7/8/2021 1:28:29 AM EDT
[#7]

There are hundreds of AK variants out there with cheap looking wood stocks and forearm parts.

Why not just buy a wood furniture trash can gun and leave the AR platform alone?  Save yourself some money.
View Quote

1.  I want something different / unique ,etc.

2.  AR and AK are entirely different, I don't want a trash can gun and think it is a stretch to compare an AR with a nice looking AR stock to an AK both functionally and cosmetically.

3.  Saving money wasn't really the topic here.  Those AK variant aren't so cheap anymore anyway.  People pay for lots of purely cosmetic things on ARs or any other firearm.  For hundreds of years people have paid extra for the fancier models with cosmetic features that do not enhance function.  Things like engraving, curly maple stocks, gold plated parts, polished blue steel, etc.
Link Posted: 7/8/2021 12:40:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

2.  AR and AK are entirely different, I don't want a trash can gun and think it is a stretch to compare an AR with a nice looking AR stock to an AK both functionally and cosmetically.

3.  Saving money wasn't really the topic here.  Those AK variant aren't so cheap anymore anyway.  People pay for lots of purely cosmetic things on ARs or any other firearm.  For hundreds of years people have paid extra for the fancier models with cosmetic features that do not enhance function.  Things like engraving, curly maple stocks, gold plated parts, polished blue steel, etc.
View Quote

If everyone liked the same thing this shit would get pretty boring.  Good luck.
Link Posted: 7/8/2021 1:31:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 7/8/2021 1:37:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Understood.  Good luck with your search.
Link Posted: 7/8/2021 1:49:31 PM EDT
[#11]
Like this, OP?

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/8/2021 2:24:25 PM EDT
[#12]

Link Posted: 7/8/2021 2:38:46 PM EDT
[#13]
Unless you are stupid enough to drive over them with a truck, they’ll hold up just fine.  I have three ARs/LRs in wood stocks.  Two are in a Kincade (look similar to Boyds with dual cheek pieces to beef up the really thin area around the front of the receiver extension) on a 5.56 and  a .458 SOCOM, absolutely zero problems.  On my LR in .470 Rhino, a near .470 Nitro Express cartridge, it has the old DPMS wood stock which is dimensionally an A2 stock, and even though it is extremely thin around the front of the RE, I have had no trouble at all.  And this rifle kicks on a par with a .458 Win Mag, launching a 500 gr bullet at 1950 fps.  I’m sure if you butt stroked an elephant with it, it might split but treat it like you would any fine rifle and it’s not going to give you any trouble.  All three have Kincade walnut grips.

.458 SOCOM
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

.470 Rhino
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/8/2021 3:05:02 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 7/8/2021 5:35:31 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I like this!
Details?
View Quote

Done by Doug Turnbull in .308 and 5.56 IIRC.  They were steel uppers and lowers done with his bone color case hardening and exhibition grade walnut.  Yah, drag one of them down your driveway to give it the battle worn look, I dare you!
Link Posted: 7/8/2021 7:22:54 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I like this!
Details?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

TURNBULL
Link Posted: 7/8/2021 9:50:53 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 7/9/2021 7:43:12 AM EDT
[#19]
The Turnbull stuff is nice, but not sure I like it enough for the price.
Pretty cool, but I'm cheap!
Link Posted: 7/9/2021 12:18:00 PM EDT
[#21]
Simple designs, but very good looking (if you like wood furniture on an AR).
Link Posted: 7/9/2021 1:26:08 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Carbine gas system for smoother recoil

LOLZ
View Quote

True, but it is a cool looking homage to tankers.

I always wanted to get one of the wooden stock fightlites

Link Posted: 7/10/2021 11:46:51 AM EDT
[#24]
Thats the Boyds wood stock

Link Posted: 7/18/2021 7:06:49 PM EDT
[#25]
Black Guns Wood is the way to go, IMHO.

Link Posted: 7/18/2021 7:24:23 PM EDT
[#26]
For you guys that have put one of these together; how does the forearm wood stand up to heat over time?
Link Posted: 7/19/2021 6:38:19 PM EDT
[#27]
I never, ever, abuse my rifles by shooting them so hot you cannot touch the barrel, be it wood, aluminum, plastic, or carbon fiber.  If you feel the need to destroy your barrels by shooting so fast you over heat your handguard, then wood is probably not for you.

My woody 5.56 is thinned so it fits over a Rock River free float tube but that means it’s pretty thin in the forend’s finger grip flutes in the handguard.
Link Posted: 7/19/2021 8:07:23 PM EDT
[#28]
Saw this posted here awhile back, interesting for sure.
Attachment Attached File

IIRC, the gun belongs to @coldblue
Link Posted: 7/19/2021 8:31:18 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
For you guys that have put one of these together; how does the forearm wood stand up to heat over time?
View Quote

It's a pretty good insulator, I'll say that.

I don't really use that rifle for a lot of mag dumps. Mostly for positional shooting, relatively slow fire.
Link Posted: 7/21/2021 6:22:01 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 7/21/2021 7:42:05 PM EDT
[#31]

That is just plain cool. I was looking for this pic you had in another thread. Thanks for posting it.
Link Posted: 7/23/2021 12:03:57 PM EDT
[#32]
Would like to get my hands on this set:

Top Top