Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Piston Systems
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/13/2021 11:02:20 PM EDT
Got one of these uppers from Atlantic that came with a pitted bore and chamber.  Atlantic helped get in touch with the importer.  They replaced it with a new one that arrived today.  This one is just as bad if not worse!  Seems like Wolf has a bad lot of barrels going on.

Anyone else seeing these problems or am I just lucky?

Link Posted: 11/14/2021 7:50:16 AM EDT
[#1]
I don't see what you're looking at.

Stop obsessing over your barrels.
Link Posted: 11/14/2021 9:51:01 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I don't see what you're looking at.

Stop obsessing over your barrels.
View Quote

Seriously??

The bore scope pics show the chamber and bore of a brand new Wolf barrel that was cleaned after delivery.  Granted, pics through a bore scope make things look worse than what they are but there's no denying there's something wrong here.  I don't expect these to be 'Krieger quality' but it may actually be worse than the cheapest AR barrel out there.

I normally just shove a couple of patches down a new bore before shooting just to get the oil out before shooting.  I haven't shot this yet.  It felt rough when pushing patches through so I brushed it for 10 passes as well.  The pics are of a bore that has been cleaned and clearly show the results of past corrosion.

For those guys that have checked the bores of their Wolf uppers before firing - is this normal for a brand new barrel?  Is this really the condition of a new barrel one should expect from Wolf?
Link Posted: 11/14/2021 12:33:14 PM EDT
[#3]
OP. They dont looked pitted as a result of corrosion. Reminds me of AK barrels. It is way too uniform to be corrosion induced.

Run it and if you're getting less than mediocre performance, contact them.
Link Posted: 11/14/2021 12:45:07 PM EDT
[#4]
almost looks like some kind of coating was applied?
Link Posted: 11/14/2021 1:18:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
almost looks like some kind of coating was applied?
View Quote

Wouldn't that have been removed (partially, at least) with the brush?

I can feel how rough the bore is when pushing a patch through so I gotta believe it's going to foul like a MoFo.  It should be noted that the first two patches down the bore came out with some rust-colored fouling.  Granted, that could have been some sort of weird powder residue as well.  Shooting it would tell but I need to speak with them before I do that so as to avoid the potential "now it's used" pitfall.  Keep in mind that this is a replacement upper so that suggests that they agreed that the first one was bad.  They've been great to work with so far so I hope it continues.

It reminds me of a few Remington barrels that I bought for work several years ago.  Those came in with rust in the bore that when cleaned looked very similar to this.  I didn't expect to see such a uniform pattern but that's what it was.  Those barrels fouled like crazy, were as accurate as a shotgun, and were replaced.

To those of you that have these uppers, do the bores of your barrels look like this?  Since I realize that most don't have a borescope, does it feel rough when running a patch down it?

I think this bore is toast but would love to be wrong.  It'd sure avoid having to deal with yet another replacement if it's nothing but a coating but I am having a hard time believing that's what it is.
Link Posted: 11/14/2021 3:23:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
OP. They dont looked pitted as a result of corrosion. Reminds me of AK barrels. It is way too uniform to be corrosion induced.

Run it and if you're getting less than mediocre performance, contact them.
View Quote

I've cleaned a few AKs, mostly Romanian ones with manufacture dates of 1970.   None of them had a barrel that looked like that.  Frankly, I've never seen a barrel that had... whatever that is... going on.  Is that exfoliation?  Crystallization of the parkerizing?  Doesn't make sense to me in the pictures.

I'd see how it shoots.  It could be a few rounds through it cleans it up just fine, but I'd love for an expert to weigh in.
Link Posted: 11/14/2021 11:24:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I've cleaned a few AKs, mostly Romanian ones with manufacture dates of 1970.   None of them had a barrel that looked like that.  Frankly, I've never seen a barrel that had... whatever that is... going on.  Is that exfoliation?  Crystallization of the parkerizing?  Doesn't make sense to me in the pictures.

I'd see how it shoots.  It could be a few rounds through it cleans it up just fine, but I'd love for an expert to weigh in.
View Quote

They were probably all chrome lined, as most Romanians are. All's I know is pitting doesn't usually happen this uniform from corrosion. It looks off for sure, but I can't figure it out just from the pics. Boresighters also make shit so much worse. I'm always scared to see my barrels in a boresight because I will see each and every little minor imperfection that has been 50x zoomed
Link Posted: 11/14/2021 11:44:43 PM EDT
[#8]
nitride treated
Link Posted: 11/15/2021 1:03:29 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
nitride treated
View Quote

A flaw in the nitriding process could very well be the culprit.

I pulled out an AR built with a PSA Freedom barrel for comparison.  These barrels are nitrided but budget grade as well.  Although the shine is aggravating, it gets the point across.  The bore in the Wolf barrel is way worse than the budget barrel from PSA.  ETA that this barrel has had less than 20 rounds through it.
Link Posted: 11/15/2021 2:08:41 AM EDT
[#10]
They use CHF, nitride barrels.
Link Posted: 11/15/2021 2:17:24 AM EDT
[#11]

And shoot it.

Or sell it on the EE to someone who will
Link Posted: 11/15/2021 11:32:59 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
https://www.brunoshooters.com/mm5/graphics/00000001/IMG_3936.jpg

And shoot it.

View Quote

I'm very willing to bet that no one will be interested in buying an upper knowing that the bore is going to foul like crazy and accuracy will likely be poor.  Perhaps that's why the ones already listed aren't moving?
Link Posted: 11/15/2021 2:27:12 PM EDT
[#13]
I should take pictures of the pouty fuck fuck job performed on my upper I sent in to get fixed.
Yeah they fixed the canted front site.
But added a bunch of random punch strikes under the site and a few to the side of the site base just for pouty fuck fucks sake.
I only noticed the strikes under the site because after firing it started wiggling loose.
So I removed it to see what was up.
It's clear whom ever did that wasn't trying to fix anything.
I am going to fix that loose issue myself with some directed peening and a better roll pin.
But it goes to show what a fellow is actually dealing with instead of proper servicing.
Link Posted: 11/15/2021 6:36:37 PM EDT
[#14]
So the update is that this will be going back for a refund.  This sucks because I really wanted to like (and shoot) this upper.  However, there's no doubt that the bore will foul like a mofo and lead to poor accuracy.

To be fair, the importer has been great to work with.  It does sound like they have a batch of these so either they're coming in with poor bores or the vendor doing the contouring and nitriding stateside is screwing something up.  Despite what some may say, these bores should not have this problem.  If this doesn't matter to you then these are neat uppers.  I'll look elsewhere for a short-stroke piston.
Link Posted: 11/15/2021 11:48:44 PM EDT
[#15]
Sheesh - looks like shit…wouldn’t accept that either.
Link Posted: 12/29/2021 9:30:31 PM EDT
[#16]
Looks like the same finish as the barrel.  Not an issue, but if it’s not what you want, you’re doing the right thing sending it back.
Link Posted: 1/9/2022 5:42:26 AM EDT
[#17]
Mine looked nothing like that when I got it. After running a patch through it was nice and shiny like you'd expect a new barrel to be.

Glad they are making it right by you.
Link Posted: 1/9/2022 6:31:54 AM EDT
[#18]
Aaaaand my desire to buy one of these just went to zero.
Link Posted: 1/9/2022 7:50:13 PM EDT
[#19]
I still think the Wolf A1 is the best short action piston upper available for AR lowers.
Link Posted: 1/9/2022 7:54:34 PM EDT
[#20]
Mine works nicely.
Link Posted: 1/9/2022 7:59:30 PM EDT
[#21]
Doesn't hurt that it's what Taiwan has to use against the Chinese.
Link Posted: 1/9/2022 8:36:47 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
https://www.brunoshooters.com/mm5/graphics/00000001/IMG_3936.jpg

And shoot it.

View Quote

This. To elaborate, put 10-20 rounds through it. Run that bore paste through it. Clean it. Shoot it again. Clean it. Then bore scope.
Link Posted: 1/10/2022 8:53:21 PM EDT
[#23]
I completely lost interest in the Wolf A1 after handling and shooting T91 Tactical's clone correct upper.
Link Posted: 1/10/2022 10:10:05 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I completely lost interest in the Wolf A1 after handling and shooting T91 Tactical's clone correct upper.
View Quote

I'd love to have one of those but the money isn't there right now. :-(
Link Posted: 1/10/2022 10:26:02 PM EDT
[#25]
In one of your photos the barrel appears to have copper and powder fouling. Maybe you got someone elses return?

To me that looks more like a coating than rust pitting. Run a clean patch through the bore. If it comes out brown it's likely rust.
Page AR-15 » AR Piston Systems
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top