Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 9
Link Posted: 9/18/2019 5:15:53 PM EDT
[#1]
The DHS contract overrun "Purple" ammo is back at a good price.  A bunch of this hit the market back in 2016.... but at a much higher price back then....

Some have stated this is lead free primer stuff, and might not have as long of a shelf life.

https://www.luckygunner.com/223-rem-62-grain-ot-winchester-dhs-purple-casing-1000-rounds

Appears to be a bit slower....

.223 Remington, 62gr OTM (Q3340) Winchester LE, Traning Only, Gel Test

.223 Remington, 62gr OTM (Q3340) Winchester LE, Traning Only, Velocity Test
Link Posted: 9/18/2019 5:42:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The DHS contract overrun "Purple" ammo is back at a good price.  A bunch of this hit the market back in 2016.... but at a much higher price back then....

Some have stated this is lead free primer stuff, and might not have as long of a shelf life.

https://www.luckygunner.com/223-rem-62-grain-ot-winchester-dhs-purple-casing-1000-rounds

https://i.postimg.cc/KjSNcyJv/screenshot-91.png

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KzTJJIFv5eI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kv9aXTshENA
View Quote
Wow - I'm actually more impressed with what this stuff did in gel than what the regular 5.56 otm did....albeit only 11" penetration with the 16" AR.
Link Posted: 9/18/2019 8:17:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Any idea how accurate the purple stuff is?
Link Posted: 9/18/2019 8:20:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Bummer, sold out today right as I was finally going to grab a couple of cases.  Guess we will see if he actually gets some more in at all, and at what selling price.

Yes, I waited 11 years to make my first post, bitching about ammo being out of stock...
View Quote
Whew,that was close for me,just under the radar getting an extra case before it was gone.

Keep checking back,i bet he gets more in.It sold too well in a slow market not to.
Link Posted: 9/18/2019 8:31:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Wow - I'm actually more impressed with what this stuff did in gel than what the regular 5.56 otm did....albeit only 11" penetration with the 16" AR.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://i.postimg.cc/KjSNcyJv/screenshot-91.png

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KzTJJIFv5eI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kv9aXTshENA
I agree.

Bet the slower velocity is due to it being a 223 load and not 5.56

Very tempting for sure.Lucky gunner is too pricey at $337 with shipping and tax

Wonder if Sam at SGammo will get any of this.
Link Posted: 9/18/2019 8:52:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Anyone else have it at same price?
Link Posted: 9/18/2019 8:53:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote
True. I bought the Swedish ammo because of it's accuracy. The fragging is just a bonus so far as I am concerned. I punch paper or wild rock-a-lopes and the occasional bush-a-lope
all outings, and the Swedish OT is perfect for me and my friends. I kind of think that even if it does come back at a higher price, it still won't be around much longer, as it still is a surplus overrun.
Link Posted: 9/18/2019 8:57:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I bet he gets more in. It sold too well in a slow market not to.
View Quote
100% this
Link Posted: 9/18/2019 9:14:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Averages out to 100+ cases a day sold over the past two weeks if you believe the numbers from his emails.
Link Posted: 9/18/2019 9:24:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Was going to ask this question.

Are you guys saving this ammo for rainy day stash or are you just shooting it?

I have 2 sealed cases and want to buy 2-4 more for defensive type stash to go along with my Fusion and Speer GD 62 grain

Probably shoot a 180 round box for zeroing,etc and hold onto the rest.
View Quote
I am just going to shoot most all of mine. I have some MK318 and some Gold Dot for serious social interactions. (God help us if that ever happens). I may sell some to close friends if the .gov decides to tax ammo etc. or whatever, but unless that happens, I intend to shoot it up and enjoy it's fine accuracy, and enjoy my rifles. A while ago I bought some cases of the Swiss Ruag 62 grain ammo, and it still sets a record in my mind for accuracy. Now I wont shoot it out here in the desert during the summer because of the fire danger, as it's M855 steel core.
We have never started a fire, but now that ALL the blame is being directed towards shooters for ALL fires caused by lightening etc., I don't care to shoot it. So, the moral of the story is that I should have shot most of that up when I could and enjoyed it without being concerned about fire, or worse, someone blaming us for starting one. With all that I said, I still tend to set aside a case, just in case.
Link Posted: 9/18/2019 9:29:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I am just going to shoot most all of mine. I have some MK318 and some Gold Dot for serious social interactions. (God help us if that ever happens). I may sell some to close friends if the .gov decides to tax ammo etc. or whatever, but unless that happens, I intend to shoot it up and enjoy it's fine accuracy, and enjoy my rifles. A while ago I bought some cases of the Swiss Ruag 62 grain ammo, and it still sets a record in my mind for accuracy. Now I wont shoot it out here in the desert during the summer because of the fire danger, as it's M855 steel core.
We have never started a fire, but now that ALL the blame is being directed towards shooters for ALL fires caused by lightening etc., I don't care to shoot it. So, the moral of the story is that I should have shot most of that up when I could and enjoyed it without being concerned about fire, or worse, someone blaming us for starting one. With all that I said, I still tend to set aside a case, just in case.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Was going to ask this question.

Are you guys saving this ammo for rainy day stash or are you just shooting it?

I have 2 sealed cases and want to buy 2-4 more for defensive type stash to go along with my Fusion and Speer GD 62 grain

Probably shoot a 180 round box for zeroing,etc and hold onto the rest.
Probably going to shoot a case and hold onto the other 2 like you are as backup ammo to be used after the gold dot and fusion stash should it ever need to be used
Link Posted: 9/18/2019 9:32:46 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Averages out to 100+ cases a day sold over the past two weeks if you believe the numbers from his emails.
View Quote
I believe it.
Link Posted: 9/18/2019 11:18:53 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote
Loose lips in a GD thread.
Link Posted: 9/19/2019 10:52:54 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The cat was out of the bag. RIP to the best current range ammo source for 62gr
Link Posted: 9/19/2019 11:52:45 AM EDT
[#15]
All gone. Sorry for those of you that didn't get any, but people need to jump on good ammo deals. Read the reviews, buy ASAP however you can.
I still shoot Port. .308 surplus that I bought for 13 cents a round because I bought all I could afford when it was available. In between house payments and all the other bills,
I still managed to stack a pretty reasonable amount. Then, one day I looked, and it was gone. Never to return.
Link Posted: 9/19/2019 6:25:02 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
All gone. Sorry for those of you that didn't get any, but people need to jump on good ammo deals. Read the reviews, buy ASAP however you can.
I still shoot Port. .308 surplus that I bought for 13 cents a round because I bought all I could afford when it was available. In between house payments and all the other bills,
I still managed to stack a pretty reasonable amount. Then, one day I looked, and it was gone. Never to return.
View Quote
This stuff will return,87% sure of it

If not then no regrets.Bought as much as my budget allowed
Link Posted: 9/19/2019 8:05:16 PM EDT
[#17]
Hope it does, but it was "government contract leftovers available at a huge discount". I suspect that it may never come back.
Link Posted: 9/19/2019 8:10:20 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Hope it does, but it was "government contract leftovers available at a huge discount". I suspect that it may never come back.
View Quote
The last email SGammo sent out said that the distributor wanted to raise the price.They had shipments left to sell,just at a higher price than it was and Sam said no

Its not depleted,the price hasnt been agreed upon is all.

Thats how i read it anyways
Link Posted: 9/19/2019 10:19:34 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

The last email SGammo sent out said that the distributor wanted to raise the price.They had shipments left to sell,just at a higher price than it was and Sam said no

View Quote
This was essentially the same thing I got from Sam today.  Might come back, will be $309 if it does.
Link Posted: 9/19/2019 10:34:00 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
This was essentially the same thing I got from Sam today.  Might come back, will be $309 if it does.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That would still be an excellent price for the quality.
Link Posted: 9/19/2019 10:35:07 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There is no other comparable 62gr + ammo with a non FMJ bullet with this kind of accuracy and velocity for 34 cents a round.  It’s not going to sell in the same volume as Wolf Gold, but I think it would still sell to people looking for something better.
Link Posted: 9/20/2019 5:33:56 PM EDT
[#22]
Just received the back in stock notification at the SAME price! 14 cases as of this post

I bet this is inventory they “found” laying around in the wrong part of their warehouse.
Link Posted: 9/20/2019 6:13:42 PM EDT
[#23]
Got my two cases.  His inventory system is all over the place.  Said 16, then 8, then I bought 2, now it says 14...
Link Posted: 9/20/2019 7:02:55 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Got my two cases.  His inventory system is all over the place.  Said 16, then 8, then I bought 2, now it says 14...
View Quote
I am sure glad to see you got your ammo. I am tickled that I was wrong about it not coming back! I just ordered some more myself
I just got back from another outing today.  AR with a 16" FN hammer forged barrel, Geissele trigger 5 shot one inch group with this Swedish Winchester OT, and a five shot one inch group with the Magtech 77g OTM 5.56.
This is a barrel that I got from PSA and it has the skinny profile under the hand guard, so for this barrel to shoot this well with this Winchester OT, it really is match grade ammo, so far as I am concerned. I was so happy when I got back, I couldn't stop myself
from buying more. If the price does indeed get raised to 309.00 per 900, it would still be well worth it!
For you folks looking for it, it's on the second page at SG.
Link Posted: 9/20/2019 8:12:13 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote
Probably a pallet he was holding back.I doubt the new shipment already made it in if he went ahead and bought more at a higher price

Sam always does his inventory this way. 16 cases,4 get sold,18 cases,down to 2 cases,back to 12 cases
Link Posted: 9/20/2019 8:13:31 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I am sure glad to see you got your ammo. I am tickled that I was wrong about it not coming back! I just ordered some more myself
I just got back from another outing today.  AR with a 16" FN hammer forged barrel, Geissele trigger 5 shot one inch group with this Swedish Winchester OT, and a five shot one inch group with the Magtech 77g OTM 5.56.
This is a barrel that I got from PSA and it has the skinny profile under the hand guard, so for this barrel to shoot this well with this Winchester OT, it really is match grade ammo, so far as I am concerned. I was so happy when I got back, I couldn't stop myself
from buying more. If the price does indeed get raised to 309.00 per 900, it would still be well worth it!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yeah,lets keep it kinda quiet and not post it in general discussion whoever posted it there last time
Link Posted: 9/20/2019 10:01:02 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Probably a pallet he was holding back.I doubt the new shipment already made it in if he went ahead and bought more at a higher price

Sam always does his inventory this way. 16 cases,4 get sold,18 cases,down to 2 cases,back to 12 cases
View Quote
He's stated a few times that the inventory tracker on the website is completely random as he doesn't want people to know his true stock count of items.

Also it's in stock here for $273 with shipping included..
62gr OTM
Link Posted: 9/20/2019 11:05:13 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
He's stated a few times that the inventory tracker on the website is completely random as he doesn't want people to know his true stock count of items.

62gr OTM
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

62gr OTM
I remember Sam saying that when he was here on the forums

Pretty sure ammoempire is Sam's sister site for bulk ammo sales.It comes out cheaper there (sister site)which is a plus
Link Posted: 9/22/2019 11:36:37 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote
QFT

My shipment should arrive tomorrow. Grabbed 9 boxes (1620 rounds).
Link Posted: 9/22/2019 2:20:39 PM EDT
[#30]
Would you guys say the win 62 ot is still a good value at 38 cents a round?
Link Posted: 9/22/2019 3:38:30 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote
Value?  Only if you are looking for something that has a little better accuracy potential than M193, and you need a hollow point/soft point bullet due to range requirements (like they require in DFW area), or you want a higher velocity bullet with decent terminal ballistics for low cost hunting and hunting practice ammo.

I'm certainly not a buyer at that price, when M193 is 28 cents delivered.  I'd rather spend a little more and buy Magtech CBC 77gr SMK for 55 cents.
Link Posted: 9/22/2019 3:41:48 PM EDT
[#32]
At .38 cents per round it is starting to compete with some of the heavier bullets such as the Hornady Frontier 68 grain match. No matter that this round is super accurate in barrels that like it, it is still only 62 grains, and lighter bullets don't do well at the longer ranges.
So, no, at least for me, that's too expensive.
Link Posted: 9/22/2019 4:10:19 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Value?  Only if you are looking for something that has a little better accuracy potential than M193, and you need a hollow point/soft point bullet due to range requirements (like they require in DFW area), or you want a higher velocity bullet with decent terminal ballistics for low cost hunting and hunting practice ammo.

I'm certainly not a buyer at that price, when M193 is 28 cents delivered.  I'd rather spend a little more and buy Magtech CBC 77gr SMK for 55 cents.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This all the way.

My cut off price point would be @$290-305 per 900 round case
Link Posted: 9/26/2019 6:00:29 PM EDT
[#34]
Looks like new inventory is on its way. The new, higher price is already showing
Link Posted: 9/26/2019 6:22:09 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Looks like new inventory is on its way. The new, higher price is already showing
View Quote
I knew it would be back.Was selling way too well not to bring it back.

The new price is right at the limit,probably wont sell as well but will stick around much longer

$309.50 - 34cpr on the 900 round case before shipping
Link Posted: 9/26/2019 9:16:03 PM EDT
[#36]
Glad I bought 4 cases several months back then. But still shows OOS though.
Link Posted: 9/27/2019 9:43:18 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Glad I bought 4 cases several months back then. But still shows OOS though.
View Quote
It most likely on its way to Sgammo.

Think of it as a saved space on the website so when it comes back in it gets listed quickly
Link Posted: 9/28/2019 5:48:59 PM EDT
[#38]
Glad it's back, also glad I got all I ever am going to need for the rest of my life. Still a decent price considering how good the ammo is.
Link Posted: 9/28/2019 6:14:11 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Glad it's back, also glad I got all I ever am going to need for the rest of my life. Still a decent price considering how good the ammo is.
View Quote
I think i am good as well for my use.

Stacking the Magtech 77 smk right now
Link Posted: 9/29/2019 12:52:17 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Who has the best price? SGAmmo?
Link Posted: 9/29/2019 12:59:02 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes,SGammo is the best deal out there
Link Posted: 10/22/2019 3:14:13 AM EDT
[#42]
LMT 16" MRP Piston upper.  
Primary Arms red dot MD-RB-AD
Aimpoint 3X magnifier
200 yards, left with Federal XM855, right with Winchester 62 gr OT
Steel plates are IPSC-D size

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/22/2019 7:41:44 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:  left with Federal XM855, right with Winchester 62 gr OT
View Quote
Lol, that's not even fair.   :)
Link Posted: 11/6/2019 9:22:08 PM EDT
[#44]
It's back. $279 isn't bad.
Link Posted: 11/6/2019 9:30:11 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
It's back. $279 isn't bad.
View Quote
+1

Sam's email said he bought what was left from the distributor.

So once its gone this time,its gone for good
Link Posted: 11/6/2019 9:32:17 PM EDT
[#46]
I saw the email about this. I read some of the thread but is the consensus that it’s good? Will it work well in a 1/7 BCM ELW?
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 4:26:51 PM EDT
[#47]
Shot some yesterday from Dads stash. Shot okay, very fast. About as fast as the 55s we had on hand. Didnt impress with groups from his barrel. Will try this Geisselle barrel maybe this afternoon.
Link Posted: 11/12/2019 5:38:30 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Shot some yesterday from Dads stash. Shot okay, very fast. About as fast as the 55s we had on hand. Didnt impress with groups from his barrel. Will try this Geisselle barrel maybe this afternoon.
View Quote
I have a healthy amount of 1x7 barreled uppers and experimented with different optics.  Most saw improvement in group sizes with this 62 gr OT compared to XM855.  Two saw little improvement.  For these, I relegate them with un-magnified RDS.  As long as they consistently ring the IPSC-D steel plate at 200 yards I'm okay feeding them with XM855.

If I had more disposable income, I'd buy lots of Magtech 77 gr OTM.  The groups are even better than the Swedish stuff.
Link Posted: 11/12/2019 6:51:36 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I have a healthy amount of 1x7 barreled uppers and experimented with different optics.  Most saw improvement in group sizes with this 62 gr OT compared to XM855.  Two saw little improvement.  For these, I relegate them with un-magnified RDS.  As long as they consistently ring the IPSC-D steel plate at 200 yards I'm okay feeding them with XM855.

If I had more disposable income, I'd buy lots of Magtech 77 gr OTM.  The groups are even better than the Swedish stuff.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Word from Sam at SGammo is that Magtech is going to be using a different bullet as expenses have went up.

Once the old stuff is gone everything changes with the Magtech round in 77gr
Link Posted: 11/12/2019 9:44:40 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Word from Sam at SGammo is that Magtech is going to be using a different bullet as expenses have went up.

Once the old stuff is gone everything changes with the Magtech round in 77gr
View Quote
The cost of Sierra SMKs has gone up? It seems strange that they would go with a different projectile since they use this load for military customers as well
Page / 9
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top