Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/22/2020 9:49:41 PM EDT
Brand new 6.5 tactical hunter. I've had it to the range twice for a total of about 225 rounds. I just can't get this thing to work properly. The first thing I noticed is that the brass doesn't eject very far. It just kind of falls out of the port. In fact often it doesn't even come out it gets stuck between the bolt and the upper and now the upper is all marred to hell. The bolt also gets stuck in the feed ramp.

I've tried adjusting the gas block every which way. I've built several ARs. This was my first time buying one that someone else built and I went all out had the damn thing just won't work.

I've run it mostly with an Omega but as far as I can tell the issues are not suppressor related.
I've cleaned it head to toe once and cleaned the bolt twice today while on the bench with no luck.

Super unhappy that the upper is now messed up. Even if I can get this thing figured out I'm stuck with a scratched to hell upper on an almost new very pricey rifle

Any suggestions?

Link Posted: 5/22/2020 10:03:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 10:18:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Call wilson combat. Their customer service is a1. They will do what they can to help.
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 1:43:56 AM EDT
[#3]
seems under gassed or over gassed? maybe change the buffer lighter and check if the extractor is rounded and not sharp points on it.

Loading 6.5 Grendel - ep 3 - Modifying my extractor
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 9:35:27 AM EDT
[#4]
does it have an adjustable gas block?  if so try closing it all the way, open one full turn, then start single-loading the mag and firing.  If it doesn't lock back on the empty mag, slowly open the gas block up firing a single round each time until it does.

If it doesn't have adjustable gas, your best bet is to call wilson combat.  Is there excessive gas leakage around the block?  I wouldn't *THINK* WC would use the wrong size roll pin but lots of other very popular name builders who are site sponsors tend to do exactly that, so.....anything's possible i suppose.  Should be a 5/64" diameter pin, not the more common 1/16" a lot of people end up using.
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 11:11:07 AM EDT
[#5]
Have you tried changing carriers? Take the 6.5G bolt out and put it in a different carrier. If it cycles reliably, then it could be an issue with the carrier, such as over torqued/broken gas key screws that is causing gas leakage, or a gas key that’s not properly sealed.

If it still doesn’t work, inspect your gas rings. Then call WC first thing Monday morning and tell them what you’ve found and they’ll take care of you. I wouldn’t make any permanent changes or taking things off just in case it voids your warranty.

Remember that these guns are built by humans and even top tier companies let a turd slip out on rare occasions. It’s not a big deal as long as the customer service takes care of you, and WC is known for having great CS.
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 11:39:34 AM EDT
[#6]
Will the bolt lock to the rear on an empty mag?  What procedure did you use to tune the gas block?
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 12:25:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Brand new 6.5 tactical hunter. I've had it to the range twice for a total of about 225 rounds. I just can't get this thing to work properly. The first thing I noticed is that the brass doesn't eject very far. It just kind of falls out of the port. In fact often it doesn't even come out it gets stuck between the bolt and the upper and now the upper is all marred to hell. The bolt also gets stuck in the feed ramp.

I've tried adjusting the gas block every which way. I've built several ARs. This was my first time buying one that someone else built and I went all out had the damn thing just won't work.

I've run it mostly with an Omega but as far as I can tell the issues are not suppressor related.
I've cleaned it head to toe once and cleaned the bolt twice today while on the bench with no luck.

Super unhappy that the upper is now messed up. Even if I can get this thing figured out I'm stuck with a scratched to hell upper on an almost new very pricey rifle

Any suggestions?

https://ibb.co/Pzx0qy5
https://ibb.co/tqLfyjw
View Quote

I feel you brother, interested in hearing your outcome! Just built a 6.8 SPC Wilson Combat 11.3 Stainless Steel Barrel using the Superlative Arms Retro Piston Kit, and was having a lot of trouble running it out the gate with similar problems, brass not ejecting properly, getting caught between the bolt and upper, and still having issues. I took it to get built by someone else, and I'm 100% sure he did not assemble it correctly, as all I really needed him to do was put on the Barrel Nut. I'm not running it suppressed. I'm almost positive it has something to do with the Gas Port, and the Piston system I'm running. I've looked some information up, and have read that Wilson Combat's gas ports are a little bit undersized, and need to be drilled out. My Gas Block was literally unseated when trying to adjust it to the right Gas Setting by trial when firing it, but I'm trying to do it with a piston, not standard D.I. Would be very interested to see how you get this handled, and the issues you find to get it resolved.
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 12:31:26 PM EDT
[#8]
I'd probably just send it back to Wilson to fix it. They have good customer service. But yeah otherwise inspect everything closely. Try different mags and ammo. Clean and lube everything.
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 1:01:32 PM EDT
[#9]
+1 to send it back and let them fix it. You spent the extra money for something that was already built, they'll make it work right.
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 1:54:46 PM EDT
[#10]
VERY sorry for the problem.

Send it back attn Brandon Collier and we'll sort it out ASAP and get it right back to you. Be sure an include a note telling him what ammo your using.
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 3:27:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
seems under gassed or over gassed? maybe change the buffer lighter and check if the extractor is rounded and not sharp points on it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMrMUyyWV0k
View Quote

Quoted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMrMUyyWV0k
View Quote

Quoted:
Have you tried changing carriers? Take the 6.5G bolt out and put it in a different carrier. If it cycles reliably, then it could be an issue with the carrier, such as over torqued/broken gas key screws that is causing gas leakage, or a gas key that’s not properly sealed.

If it still doesn’t work, inspect your gas rings. Then call WC first thing Monday morning and tell them what you’ve found and they’ll take care of you. I wouldn’t make any permanent changes or taking things off just in case it voids your warranty.

Remember that these guns are built by humans and even top tier companies let a turd slip out on rare occasions. It’s not a big deal as long as the customer service takes care of you, and WC is known for having great CS.
View Quote

Guys, if you look at the pics, you'll see that this is a large frame 6.5 Creedmoor, not a Grendel.

The length of the case in the pics is a dead giveaway.
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 3:38:07 PM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Guys, if you look at the pics, you'll see that this is a large frame 6.5 Creedmoor, not a Grendel.

The length of the case in the pics is a dead giveaway.
View Quote

Ah. The pictures weren’t showing up in the original post and I just saw someone else posted the links. So scratch everything I just said.
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 5:30:12 PM EDT
[#13]
Thanks for all the awesome replies, everyone.  

Yes this is a 6.5 Creedmore sorry I wasn't specific. Ammo was Hornady 140 match and some Federal Non Typical 140.

I'm fairly certain I've got an extractor issue of some sort. Perhaps a bad/missing spring.

I have the gas tuned in such a way that the bolt does lock back on an empty mag. I don't believe the gas system is the issue although I'm not ruling anything out.

The shells eject at a different angle with almost every shot and more often than not the shell doesn't really eject at all it just sort of flops out on the bench OR worst of all doesn't eject at all and gets stuck between the bolt and the upper.... thus causing my marred upper and a major disappointment. It's ruining my weekend to tell the truth.

As of right now I've decided to wait until Tuesday and call Wilson. I'm quite certain they will take care of it. I just hope they make good on the chewed upper although I'm not sure how they can since the camo flows to the lower. it was certainly coated while put together. For 4 grand it would be nice if they just shipped me a new one for my trouble.

The guy in the bay next to me at the range asked me if I "traded a car for that thing." He was running a much less expensive AR with an omega and his shells landed in the exact same spot every single round while mine each landed in a different zip code.

I will say it's got the best damn BCG I've ever seen. It just doesn't function.

Huge Wilson fan, in fact, I think I've got more Wilsons than any other maker. I'm confident that won't change.
Link Posted: 5/24/2020 12:19:32 PM EDT
[#14]
Ejector and or ejector spring. Have you looked at them. Wilson will take care of you.
Link Posted: 6/27/2020 4:47:59 PM EDT
[#15]
UPDATE!

Called Wilson. They had me ship this back. That was over 3 weeks ago. Still no update. I email them from time to time and they just keep telling me they don't have any news.

Super disappointing to buy a $4,000 rifle that doesn't cycle and to deal with this. Yet, I'm still shopping for more Wilson's as we speak.
Link Posted: 6/27/2020 11:48:59 PM EDT
[#16]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
UPDATE!

Called Wilson. They had me ship this back. That was over 3 weeks ago. Still no update. I email them from time to time and they just keep telling me they don't have any news.

Super disappointing to buy a $4,000 rifle that doesn't cycle and to deal with this. Yet, I'm still shopping for more Wilson's as we speak.
View Quote

Not trying to hijack your thread but had a similar experience, which I related above, and I am definitely looking forward to your experience, which thanks for sharing it!

I've heard a bunch of similar problems with Wilson Combat, and the bolt not locking to the rear. The most complaints I had seen were in response to the Gas Port being drilled to undersized proportions or specifically for their Gas Block, and or for suppressed use. Pretty sure that is your barrel that is having issues, but not sure, had a similar issue myself.

I tried posting in the forum no response though. Probably give them a call myself soon. Had a similar issue with my 11.3 6.8 SPC Barrel, would not lock to the rear, and I used both a Piston, and DI gas system. Had better luck with the Piston system but it would not lock to the rear. Was trying to build a 6.8 Piston setup, thinking that Wilson Combat was the way to go, they really do make awesome products, but the Barrel I got had a really undersized gas port, which I believe they made solely to be suppressed. But I want to run it unsuppressed first, before dropping money on a Suppressor. Going to give them a call after I pick up my new Virtus next month to hold me over on my desire for a piston rifle, and see what they can do, just wish Sig would do a 6.8 SPC.

Hoping within that time, they will respond to my Post in their industry forum. By no means am I knocking them, I think they make great products, and own a bunch myself. Not a big deal, not even asking them to replace the barrel, just wondering how easy it would be to open up the hole, and to what size, if that is the issue. Anyways good luck, hope everything works out, let me know how your experience goes. I keep hearing their customer service is awesome, so have a little faith. Also It may take awhile with everything going on which is kind of understandable. Good Luck Brother!
Link Posted: 6/28/2020 9:41:54 AM EDT
[#17]
VERY sorry, I'm on it !!!

Like everyone in the firearms industry right now we're SWAMPED, but that is no excuse for taking this long to handle a customer service issue.
Link Posted: 6/29/2020 7:11:57 AM EDT
[#18]
I think OP's rifle is about to get some attention.
Link Posted: 6/29/2020 9:00:58 AM EDT
[#19]
Everyone including my CFO/COO at the company knows this is a priority today, I would expect the gun to ship today or tomorrow at the latest. Again very sorry for the problem and taking too long to resolve it.
Link Posted: 6/29/2020 3:36:43 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 7/1/2020 7:18:02 AM EDT
[#21]
I had an 18" 6.5 Grendel barrel from them that had cycling issues and wouldn't lock the bolt back.  After disassembling and going over the entire gas system several times, I finally had the gas port reamed from the factory 0.088" size, to 0.093", and finally to 0.098" until it cycked correctly and locked the bolt back.  Mostly sub-MOA barrel, though (5-shot groups).
Link Posted: 7/9/2020 3:51:37 PM EDT
[#22]
Glad to see wilson taking care of ya. I called them a couple of weeks ago regarding a product on the site and they were super helpful.  Not rushing to get me off the phone, etc.

Good customer service is hard to find these days.
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top