Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/15/2023 5:02:08 PM EDT
Hello all,

I have a rifle built around a 16" mid length gas, Larue Stealth barrel that will not lock back on last round with IMI M193(2009 prod) or Prvi Partizan M193 (2020 prod).

It will however lock back when shooting Norma .223  (brass case) or Wolf .223 steel case. 100% of the time. (over 500 rds tested between the wolf and norma)

It will lock back if I manually cycle the action with an empty mag.

It has a carbine buffer tube and an H buffer and a toolcraft milspec bcg.

Any thoughts?

Thank you for your time.

Link Posted: 1/15/2023 5:06:29 PM EDT
[#1]
It’s so overgassed that the buffer is bouncing off the end of the receiver extension so hard that bolt is closed before the mag follower has time to lift the bolt catch.
Link Posted: 1/15/2023 5:24:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It’s so overgassed that the buffer is bouncing off the end of the receiver extension so hard that bolt is closed before the mag follower has time to lift the bolt catch.
View Quote

From what I've read it does appear the Stealth barrel has a very large gas port.  Would a BRT gas tube be a smart test or a different buffer spring?

ETA: Just going to order a BRT gas tube.  

Link Posted: 1/15/2023 5:32:36 PM EDT
[#3]
BRT gas tubes are a great fix for overgassing.
They make the gun very pleasant to shoot.
Link Posted: 1/15/2023 6:19:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

From what I've read it does appear the Stealth barrel has a very large gas port.  Would a BRT gas tube be a smart test or a different buffer spring?

ETA: Just going to order a BRT gas tube.  

View Quote

The BRT tube is the best way to fix it IMO. I’m not big on adjustable blocks.
Link Posted: 1/20/2023 8:14:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Yeah, it sounds to me like it's severely over gassed. I'm not. Razor about adjustable gas blocks myself, but thought I'd try out the riflespeed.

It is very robust and doesn't appear to suffer from what others do, but it's around $200.
Link Posted: 1/20/2023 8:22:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Like others have said, slap a BRT tube on there.

Why Larue ports their barrels as huge as they do is a mystery to me. Maybe somebody should tell Mark people do other things than shoot unsuppressed hand loads from a bench with their rifle.
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top