Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/18/2018 8:48:39 PM EDT
A heads up Guns Magazine - March  1968   ( ISSUE 155)   has finally been added and has "Will NATO Kill the M16" on the cover.  I'm downloading it now and will add screen posts of the article later on after reading, screen capping and uploading to hosting. But figured people could read it now and start a discussion, direct link for download and viewing https://gunsmagazine.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/G0368.pdf

https://gunsmagazine.com/guns-magazine-1968-classic-editions/ Has the entire year of 1968 so far, usually an issue is added each month roughly, they will catch up by posting two issues if late.   So Guns Magazine April 1968  Issue 156 has also been made available.

if you aren't' aware Guns Magazine has their old issues from January 1955 issue 001 up to currently latest added from April 1968  the 156th issue.  http://gunsmagazine.com/classic-guns-magazine-editions/  just click on the year and grab the 12 issues. With each month a new old issue is added chronologically.  The advertisements, political articles are very educational. You'll really see why 2018  feels like 1968 in so many ways.

I have prior Guns article posts here but Arfcom's search  & google is hating on me right now.  If anyone can  link the older issue threads (1 or 2 at most iirc) which are archived by now from the earlier issues, I would highly appreciate.They would/should have the article and images of the pages. Better copy than the America Rifleman article I tried capturing  that is at "https://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_123/724949_The-M16-is-A-good-Rifle-Says-veteran-Of-82-Patrols-By-Capt-Smith-American-Rifleman-01-1969.html" "The M16 is A good Rifle, Says veteran Of 82 Patrols By Capt. Smith American Rifleman January 01 -1969" *plus that will help check those articles because my image hosting tweaked some images and I have reuplaoded replacements in larger sizes for direct linking . I'm not sure if I've found/fixed them all. Luckily it was mainly limited to a gallery but still bad for keeping old posts readable and resourceful. So any second set of eyes for checking against caching issues is also appreciated.

I've been reading and trying to post heads up here when the "new" old articles in the issues come out about the M16 and  soon more on the AR-15 which are brand new and controversial for the late 1960's and coming early 1970's. Hopefully the coming issues will yield us plenty of new articles and advertisements not already in the common collection postings.

*Edited title for Pics of article in thread, some grammar, spell wrecker damage etc.
Link Posted: 4/18/2018 8:52:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Thanks!
Link Posted: 4/19/2018 3:12:10 AM EDT
[#2]
Pages of note  from Guns Magazine - March 1968 ( ISSUE 155)  . There were no  Armalite and/or Colt advertisements on subject in this issue, for this forum

Page 7 from the
"Crossfire" aka letters from readers to editors...

As titled on the pages of article, different from the March 1968  Cover title used in forum  thread and shown above.

Kill the M16?

If NATO doesn't adopt the 5.56 mm cartridge

the U.S. may have to shelve the M-16

By Carl Wolff  

Start of article is  on page 21  of Guns Magazine   March 1968   ISSUE 155

1st of the  4 pages

Page 22 2 of 4 pages Guns Magazine - March 1968 ( ISSUE 155)

Page 23 3 of 4 Guns Magazine - March 1968

Page 63 4 of 4 pages  Guns Magazine - March 1968   Left 2/3rds of the page for columns

Now let  the letter to editor from one  Cpl. D. T. Martin    stationed at Camp Lejeune, N.C.  come under fire for the discussion of both the article and his opinion & experiences.

And  a  big sad to  the freedom our service members (and all workers for that matter) have lost for the ability to write in(post online equivalent options today)  and use your name without fear of reprimand, reprisal and/or dismal.

***EDITED for question**  By chance can AR15's military Gurus and hivemind's ability  actually locate one Cpl. D. T. Martin  stationed at Camp Lejeune, N.C. Around  Late 1967 early 1968?  Give out any history we may know for time of service like highest rank, hopefully he is still alive.

One wonders if he is on the boards somewhere else, with some weird sort of a N.O.S. Personality disorder  for hating  on the his modern/our retro loved rifles? Maybe he converted and is here but is from being doxxed.   In seriousness , his letter does show the real effect and frustration  of the lives affected during the bugs being worked out phase. Military politics have been played and paid for with human lives, for far too long and no end in sight.
Link Posted: 4/19/2018 8:45:42 AM EDT
[#3]
Tag for later

CD
Link Posted: 4/19/2018 3:37:46 PM EDT
[#4]
The Army did try their level best to kill the M16.
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top