Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/2/2024 4:20:26 PM EDT
Shooting a 18" 223 Wylde barrel with 1/7.5 twist. AR/SPR platform, not bolt action. Using Magpul 20rnd Pmags . . .

I've shot Hornady 73gr ELD Match reliably in the past. These rounds seems hard to come by, however. So I was looking at the Hornady 75gr HPBT Match. Yes, I've been searching but most seem to reload these rounds and can make modifications, so I'm confused with what fits and what does not. What is the overall length of these two rounds? Will the 75gr fit the AR mag and chamber reliably?

Thank you.

73gr: https://www.ableammo.com/catalog/hornady-match-rifle-ammunition-80269-remington-match-2790-rdbx-p-151040.html
75gr: https://www.luckygunner.com/223-rem-75-gr-hpbt-hornady-match-8026-20-rounds
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 4:25:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Funny… I’m on the other side of the world and just bought a couple of boxes each to try

I’ll post the OAL asap
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 4:44:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Molon] [#2]
Both can be loaded to magazine length and it's not the bullet's length that determines that.  It's the length of the ogive.

Link Posted: 3/2/2024 11:26:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the pic. Where did you find that? I ended up buying a couple boxes of the 75 grain to test out. I really like the 73 grains, but I'm not a reloader and they're becoming scarce at the moment, so if the 75 can perform just as well or better then awesome -- I was shooting "clover" groups sub-MOA with the 73 grains, so we'll see.

Thanks again!
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 7:42:32 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Frens] [#4]
Due to the bullet construction the 75 is shorter even if it’s heavier.
I’ve shot plenty of the 75bthp without any issue out of Lancers and Pmags.

The ELD seems to fit tighter.. did they work ok for you OP?

Hornady Black 75 bthp

Hornady Match ELD 73 gr

Link Posted: 3/3/2024 3:49:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Molon] [#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By glassman87:

I ended up buying a couple boxes of the 75 grain to test out. I really like the 73 grains, but I'm not a reloader and they're becoming scarce at the moment, so if the 75 can perform just as well or better then awesome -- I was shooting "clover" groups sub-MOA with the 73 grains, so we'll see.
View Quote

Both bullets are solid sub-MOA performers when hand-loaded and fired from an AR-15.  My barrels showed a preference for the 75 grain bullet.  The 10-shot group pictured below was fired using a hand-load of 75 grain bullet fired from a distance of 100 yards.  It has an extreme spread of 0.55”.

The Hornady factory loaded 75 grain Match ammunition had an extreme spread of 0.89” for a 10-shot group fired at 100 yards.

A hand-load with a minimal work-up for the 73 grain bullet had a 10-shot group extreme spread of 0.82” at 100 yards.

The Hornady factory load using the 73 grain ELD match had an extreme spread of 1.2" for a 10-shot group at 100 yards.

For comparison, a 10-shot group of the Hornady 73 grain Critical Defense factory load fired from the same barrel had an extreme spread of 0.74” at 100 yards.

…….
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 5:05:04 PM EDT
[#6]
I ordered the couple boxes of 75gr online, so they won't arrive until mid this coming week; hoping to get to the range in a weekend from now, so results will have to wait. I would've bought locally, but a lot of people in AZ like to shoot, so the good stuff tends to sell out quick around my parts.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top