Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/18/2022 10:27:56 AM EDT
In another part of the forum I asked about the USMC and their use of the KAC VFG on their M-4’s.
Old Devildog myself but the M-4 was after my time. I know the USMC had a reason for everything (and sometimes even a good reason!) but what is the advantage of a VFG versus a rifle without it?
Link Posted: 4/18/2022 10:38:21 AM EDT
[#1]
I like a shorter VFG to use more as a hand stop to make a hybrid angled/C-clamp type grip.  I find it's a more comfortable hand position for me than the flat horizontal grip, and it serves as a reference point for a good repeatable grip position on the rail for muscle memory in activating light/laser buttons.  Then in some cases the VFG can also be used as a bracing tool against a barricade of edge of a wall for added stability if you need it.

I almost never use one in the classic "joystick" hold, but historically that was common more on shorter guns that might not have enough length up front for a traditional grip.  Eventually some people decided it felt more comfortable (less twisting the wrist) and started putting them on all sorts of long guns.
Link Posted: 4/18/2022 10:40:53 AM EDT
[#2]
Seemed easier to manipulate the rifle with a VFG when loaded up and wearing a plate carrier with a bunch of stuff hanging on it. Probably a high speed tactical reason, but I was a HM and likely missed that lesson.

Link Posted: 4/18/2022 10:42:49 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I like a shorter VFG to use more as a hand stop to make a hybrid angled/C-clamp type grip.  I find it's a more comfortable hand position for me than the flat horizontal grip, and it serves as a reference point for a good repeatable grip position on the rail for muscle memory in activating light/laser buttons.  Then in some cases the VFG can also be used as a bracing tool against a barricade of edge of a wall for added stability if you need it.

I almost never use one in the classic "joystick" hold, but historically that was common more on shorter guns that might not have enough length up front for a traditional grip.  Eventually some people decided it felt more comfortable (less twisting the wrist) and started putting them on all sorts of long guns.
View Quote

That's my use on a couple rifles.

I always understood that, and you can see it, 14.5" mil rifles get crowded on the handguard pretty quick with PEQ's, lights, and all that stuff.  VFG is the best way to get a hold of her.
Link Posted: 4/18/2022 10:47:49 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I always understood that, and you can see it, 14.5" mil rifles get crowded on the handguard pretty quick with PEQ's, lights, and all that stuff.  VFG is the best way to get a hold of her.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It also keeps your hand a bit further away from a hot barrel/handguard when things start heating up.
Link Posted: 4/18/2022 10:48:56 AM EDT
[#5]
Agree wholeheartedly with the short VFG concept. It can be clamped comfortably and effectively, be used as a brace or rest, and if you have a hell of a long range trip you can actually use it as a VFG if you get fatigued or the rifle gets too hot.
Link Posted: 4/18/2022 12:16:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Agree wholeheartedly with the short VFG concept. It can be clamped comfortably and effectively, be used as a brace or rest, and if you have a hell of a long range trip you can actually use it as a VFG if you get fatigued or the rifle gets too hot.
View Quote

This
Link Posted: 4/18/2022 12:37:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Besides everything listed above, it makes toting the weapon easier, you can rest the VFG in your support hand with less effort than a curled finger grip on the handguard.  Not a big deal for a range toy, but a really big deal if you're walking or standing around all day with the rifle slung to the front.
Link Posted: 4/26/2022 9:23:50 PM EDT
[#8]
The popular one of my time was the grip pod thing. Still the A4 classic but everyone had to get a grip pod. The idea was to have a stabilizing rifle but reality is no one actually used it for its intended/perceived purpose.
Link Posted: 5/5/2022 1:28:31 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
In another part of the forum I asked about the USMC and their use of the KAC VFG on their M-4’s.
Old Devildog myself but the M-4 was after my time. I know the USMC had a reason for everything (and sometimes even a good reason!) but what is the advantage of a VFG versus a rifle without it?
View Quote
the broomstick VFG was from the early 2000’s when all the additional shit for a rifle was huge and you couldn’t grip the forearm well. The other option back then was to hold the mag well. Which also kinda sucks.

If you look at current operational setups, you’ll see that the old school VFG is very rarely used now. The stubby ones and angled ones are favored now since theirs mostly just a handstop to pull the rifle into your shoulder with and not a hold-onto point
Link Posted: 5/6/2022 5:40:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

I've always found that to be a bit uncomfortable.  Angled grips seemed like a better compromise.  Unfortunately, most of those aren't angled enough, which is also uncomfortable.  Possibly do to my long arms and big hands.

To solve the issue, I designed and started printing these out this week.  Took a few tries to get the right angle, but I really like it where it is now.

Very lightweight, fits my big hands, angled enough to be comfortable (can also be grabbed like you would a vertical grip), and the rubber ones are nice and grippy.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

The Shiny one is smoothed ASA.  Probably not gonna use it, it's awfully slick, and isn't as strong as the other two pictured.  They're printed out of TPU (really tough rubber), and are basically indestructible.  Could probably run them over with a tank without issue.  Right now, I've just done Keymod and M-Lok.  Might make a picatinny  version as well.
Link Posted: 5/6/2022 5:57:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Attachment Attached File

C grip works great for me.

I use a Lead Faucet Tactical stop on a couple guns.

Keeps muzzle down and comfortable.

Bigger than a handstop but smaller than a grip

Link Posted: 5/6/2022 6:10:24 PM EDT
[#12]
Some find it more comfortable to carry with one.
Link Posted: 5/6/2022 7:21:52 PM EDT
[#13]
The only grip I ever got comfortable with was the CQD (Dieter) Grip.
And just on SBRs, but I simply didn't get tired of gripping it.
Loved the profile/pressure pad pocket, and recesses for wire routing.

Link Posted: 5/7/2022 6:16:16 AM EDT
[#14]
I still think that someone should be doing this, with the "chopped AFG" portion an option sold separately by Magpul.

Link Posted: 5/7/2022 11:36:02 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I still think that someone should be doing this, with the "chopped AFG" portion an option sold separately by Magpul.

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8287/7579893420_dc82845ecb_b.jpg
View Quote

I really like that setup
Link Posted: 5/8/2022 12:43:33 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I really like that setup
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8287/7579893420_dc82845ecb_b.jpg

I really like that setup

I might try and get a local company to me (LRK Mechanical) to see what they can come up with. I'll probably haver to provide them with a bunch in case of any oops

I'm thinking old school AFG's chopped and mounted to an Mlok pic section and using the Magpul MVG. Thoughts?
Link Posted: 5/8/2022 1:20:14 AM EDT
[#17]
They are retarded. I have never seen the need and all they do is hang up over obstacles and gear.
Link Posted: 5/8/2022 3:22:18 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
They are retarded. I have never seen the need and all they do is hang up over obstacles and gear.
View Quote

Yeah..  And I'll bet that you're a bigger badass than Bobby Pruett.

Link Posted: 5/8/2022 6:07:47 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

You do you then.

It's been helpful for me to use them as a brace for either side against natural barriers by either clamping next to for a rock solid hold if bracing on the right, or the leaning into the forearm if bracing to the left.

There were zero hang ups on gear and also zero problems with either natural or manmade obstacles.
Link Posted: 5/8/2022 7:26:15 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote
fuckin' 08ers...

Old broomsticks are still kinda cool though.
Link Posted: 5/8/2022 7:57:29 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

This.  I hated them at first, now I have a dozen of them.  I prefer the TD shorty, but still have a few KAC sticks.  They are nice when a suppressed barrel and HG gets piping hot, too.
Link Posted: 5/8/2022 8:12:23 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 5/8/2022 7:19:52 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I might try and get a local company to me (LRK Mechanical) to see what they can come up with. I'll probably haver to provide them with a bunch in case of any oops

I'm thinking old school AFG's chopped and mounted to an Mlok pic section and using the Magpul MVG. Thoughts?
View Quote

Personally, I’m still running picatinny rails on 90% of my rifles.  However, if M-LOK is a way to bring the design to market, I’m all for it.
Link Posted: 5/8/2022 7:22:07 PM EDT
[#24]
Good to have when the barrel heats up.
Link Posted: 5/8/2022 7:51:41 PM EDT
[#25]
I have a grip pod on my 5.56 DMR.Works well for it being what it is. I run different styles on my rifles depending on use. My bullpups amd SBRs I run a short one on. My favorite rifle, I have the slanted Stark industries on it. It is a 14.5 pinned. Lightweight and accurate and comfortable.  I kinda use them like a hand stop not a full grip. I guess it all depends on your preference.  My SBR NPAP,. I had the full finger grip VFG. It was comfortable and worked well. I switched it out for one that folds so it fits in a case better..still getting used to it.
Link Posted: 5/8/2022 7:56:14 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 5/8/2022 8:15:48 PM EDT
[#27]
It's not a must but I have long arms, it helps keep my wrist less twisted and provides a bit more control/ stability, especially on SBR's and those 6 hour/ 1000 round sessions from multiple positions. I've tried a bunch but still like the $18 Magpul ones. Do whatever you feel comfortable with.

" />

Link Posted: 5/27/2022 10:44:45 AM EDT
[#28]
Vertical grips can also be useful when shooting in weird positions under and around stuff.
Link Posted: 5/29/2022 8:36:21 AM EDT
[#29]
Never used a vfg as a real grip… but rather like a handstop… always felt like the rifle were less stable otherwise..

I understand that they were more popular in early 2000 when accessories were big & heavy.
Link Posted: 5/30/2022 11:46:59 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
It's not a must but I have long arms, it helps keep my wrist less twisted and provides a bit more control/ stability, especially on SBR's and those 6 hour/ 1000 round sessions from multiple positions. I've tried a bunch but still like the $18 Magpul ones. Do whatever you feel comfortable with.

https://i.imgur.com/Zh9YorX.jpg" target="_blank">https://i.imgur.com/Zh9YorX.jpg

View Quote

Yes, the wrist pronation from no grip, hand stops, and stubby grips will fatigue you after long periods of shooting or carrying.  Having a strong purchase to pull the rifle into your shoulder is ideal.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/31/2022 4:08:34 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Yes, the wrist pronation from no grip, hand stops, and stubby grips will fatigue you after long periods of shooting or carrying.  Having a strong purchase to pull the rifle into your shoulder is ideal.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/183262/Screen_Shot_2021-10-10_at_3_40_45_PM_cop-2402802.JPG
View Quote

I've read from others on here in a light switch threat I think it might have been from, that they were saying that that a pressure pad especially in that 12 o'clock position would lose control

OMG, the ignorance of just saying that was hilarious to read.

Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top