Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/12/2021 11:21:44 AM EDT
I’m not saying anything about the product itself; I’ve owned two and they’re awesome.  

However, a year or two ago you couldn’t get anyone to bite in one for more than $200.  But now demand has resale prices over the MSRP.

What gives?  Why the sudden high demand?  What did I miss?
Link Posted: 2/9/2021 5:10:43 PM EDT
[#1]
5 million new shooters in the past year, all reading the same good stuff about the Law Tactical Folder, might just have something to do with it......
Link Posted: 2/9/2021 5:14:00 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm guessing it's the mainstream acceptance of them.  The Springfield EVAC uses one and I have seen a lot more in magazines like Recoil.  I guess folks are thinking about hiding their stuff?

I have owned all three gens of them and while they are cool, I usually take them off and install a LWRC ultra compact setup.

Link Posted: 2/9/2021 5:18:55 PM EDT
[#3]
It's funny I would think the MCX/BRN180/Bren designs would have made them obsolete at their price point, but apparently people would rather spend $250 to poorly adapt a milspec AR then buy something actually designed to work the way they want.
Link Posted: 2/9/2021 5:20:04 PM EDT
[#4]
mask -check
back pack -check
AR that fits in the back pack -check
Link Posted: 2/9/2021 5:23:20 PM EDT
[#5]
I have LAW’s on rifles and pistols. I find them very useful.
IMHO, to answer your question, people that like portable AR pistols are getting all paranoid about them getting banned (I personally, am not)
so they want to make a “regular” size carbine fit into a smaller space.
Link Posted: 2/9/2021 5:53:03 PM EDT
[#6]
I've been seeing them on rifles on Instagram a lot, even on rifles where it seems stupid to include them. So I think they've become a Gucci thing now. I've always wanted to try one out, but never could bring myself to drop the cash on one. Guess it can keep on waiting if they are going for above MSRP used.
Link Posted: 2/9/2021 6:03:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Barbie always wants the newest and best accessories.
Link Posted: 2/9/2021 6:29:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
mask -check
back pack -check
AR that fits in the back pack -check
View Quote

youknowthedealbrother.gif
Link Posted: 2/9/2021 6:32:10 PM EDT
[#9]
It all started when I put one on a braced pistol and dropped it into a day-pack and people said “Can you do that?” and I just looked at them like an annoyed Tommy Lee Jones.

After that everybody had to have one.  

Link Posted: 2/9/2021 6:39:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 2/9/2021 10:25:41 PM EDT
[#11]
It's a killer product.  I bought mine about a year ago and even then I had a hard time finding one.  Expensive little thing, but if you want to put an AR in a backpack, without taking it apart, it's the best option.
Link Posted: 2/9/2021 10:32:08 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I’m not saying anything about the product itself; I’ve owned two and they’re awesome.  

However, a year or two ago you couldn’t get anyone to bite in one for more than $200.  But now demand has resale prices over the MSRP.

What gives?  Why the sudden high demand?  What did I miss?
View Quote

Higher demand coupled with reduced supply.

LAW is a small company with limited production capability.  They got a large .MIL/.GOV contract which is getting most of their production.

Same as the recent issues with availability of magpul PRO BUIS.  Apparently magpul got a large foreign .MIL order for them.
Link Posted: 2/9/2021 11:05:08 PM EDT
[#13]
While they are expensive and heavy, they do allow one to slip a nice, short barreled .300blk pistol in a backpack.   I only have one, but that is what I used it for.
Link Posted: 2/10/2021 6:55:14 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
It's funny I would think the MCX/BRN180/Bren designs would have made them obsolete at their price point, but apparently people would rather spend $250 to poorly adapt a milspec AR then buy something actually designed to work the way they want.
View Quote

Right?
Link Posted: 2/10/2021 7:41:09 AM EDT
[#15]
Everyone is tricking out their guns because they cant afford to shoot them.

Wait until they actually shoot the gun with folder on it.
Link Posted: 2/10/2021 8:40:53 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 2/10/2021 9:00:17 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

Ok, I'll bite.  What's supposed to happen when they shoot their gun with the folder on it?
Link Posted: 2/10/2021 9:32:37 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Barbie always wants the newest and best accessories.
View Quote

A bit of this. Plus it’s just cool in general. Plus wet dreams about having to quickly whip a backpack around your chest to deploy an AR pistol.
Link Posted: 2/10/2021 9:43:06 AM EDT
[#19]
New shooters that are looking to do something with their new stuff because they can't shoot them is probably about right.  It's definitely become a Gucci must have IG thing.

We are in a new age where info is at our fingertips and this stuff is getting mainstream.
Link Posted: 2/10/2021 10:08:58 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Ok, I'll bite.  What's supposed to happen when they shoot their gun with the folder on it?
View Quote
Ummmm you notice there is a little more rearward weight?
Link Posted: 2/10/2021 10:17:23 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 2/10/2021 11:04:30 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Ummmm you notice there is a little more rearward weight?
View Quote

It does  add a BCG spacer that weighs a couple ounces but the pistol I have it installed on makes has no significant difference in recoil.  You make it sound like it hits like 12 gauge shotgun.
Link Posted: 2/10/2021 11:37:16 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

It does  add a BCG spacer that weighs a couple ounces but the pistol I have it installed on makes has no significant difference in recoil.  You make it sound like it hits like 12 gauge shotgun.
View Quote

You may take it that way but it was not implied. I have owned more than I can count. I was being facetious.
Link Posted: 2/11/2021 12:39:38 AM EDT
[#24]
For some it's actually useful. For the rest, it's as trendy as any other AR accessory we've seen over the past coupla decades.
Link Posted: 2/11/2021 2:13:59 AM EDT
[#25]
Works as designed, built like a tank. It simply works. Great solution for those wanting a better way to store in limited areas.

But I took mine off because that added weight got really old. Then I put an ad in the EE to trade for. Hopefully I can get a Surefire Scout out of it.
Link Posted: 2/11/2021 2:27:25 AM EDT
[#26]
I’ve tried a couple folders. Ditched them. I don’t like the added weight and length, and most importantly, how the stock flops around when folded. I have come to prefer the BAD PDW stock when going for ultra-compact... plus it can fire when collapsed... repeatably.
Link Posted: 2/11/2021 7:33:53 AM EDT
[#27]
On a 10.5 with suppressor the weight helps with balance.

Sure lighter is nice but the "extra weight" is not a hindrance when using the gun.

Not sure I would pay MSRP.  Bought mine four years ago...they were almost giving them away then.
Link Posted: 2/11/2021 10:48:40 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

I would agree that has definitely helped increase sales of more expensive accessories, especially things like higher end optics.  Trijicon ACOGs are a prime example of this, used prices on the secondary market have skyrocketed and they've even been out of stock at a lot of retailers this year.

A year ago if you had an extra $500 you could turn it into a complete PSA AR15 with a Primary Arms red dot.  Or two 1,000rd cases of 5.56 ammo.  Or a Glock 19 with a holster and a couple extra mags.

But now that guns & ammo are either sold out or retard expensive, more people are using that $500 to upgrade their Primary Arms red dot to an Aimpoint.  Or upgrade components like triggers, selectors, handguards and stocks that they cheaped out on the first time around.

I've spent more on knives this year than ever before in my life.  Last year I couldn't see spending $200 on a knife when I could buy a complete PSA AR15 for $399.  But now that "cheap" AR15s are $1,000 and a case of ammo is $1,000 - a $200 knife doesn't seem expensive at all.
Link Posted: 2/11/2021 1:09:05 PM EDT
[#29]
I bought one secondary market for well over retail. Got it, was like MEH and sold it for a loss. Then I found one pretty cheap and bought it. For a cheap price I'll keep it and use it. I won't overpay for another one though.
Link Posted: 2/11/2021 2:20:10 PM EDT
[#30]
I used one for a few months on my sbr to make it easier to tote around. With all the craziness that was/is going on in the country I felt better with a rifle close by.

I have since removed the folder and sold it though, I find my AKSU a little more practical for that role.
Link Posted: 2/11/2021 3:19:06 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Sure lighter is nice but the "extra weight" is not a hindrance when using the gun.

View Quote
It's more than half a pound of "not a hindrance" though.
Link Posted: 2/12/2021 11:21:44 AM EDT
[#32]
Topic Moved
Link Posted: 2/12/2021 9:13:19 PM EDT
[#33]
I had one on my 300 blk SBR.  It was cool for taking pictures and pulling it out at the range ("ooo it folds" looks).  Other than that they're useless 99.7% of the time.  Ended up selling it as all they do is add a significant amount of weight.
Link Posted: 2/12/2021 9:54:39 PM EDT
[#34]
I had absolutely 0 interest in them.  Then 2020 happened and the roving mobs of Biden voters blocking roads, and the fear of random mob violence, made me think you know what, 9mm really isn't gonna cut it.  
Makes a "concealable" AR a reality, and all of the sudden that's something that has become necessary.  2020's main lesson: 15 to 30 rounds of 9mm HST is no longer enough.
Link Posted: 2/14/2021 3:22:47 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

You may take it that way but it was not implied. I have owned more than I can count. I was being facetious.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Actually it does make a slight difference imo.

If you were using an H2 buffer before hand, you can probably go back to a carbine buffer with the law folder imo.

It doesn't make recoil worse or anything.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 2:27:30 PM EDT
[#36]
My question isn't related to the demand for this, but I'm just curious about how it affects the buffer system. I'd like to build a 9mm AR pistol and have the law tactical folding stock.. Would I just buy the same buffer I'd normally be buying for this pistol build, or does the addition of the bolt carrier extension change anything with the blowback system as far as cycling goes (buffer/spring weight, etc)?
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 3:44:49 PM EDT
[#37]
There is a buffer extension that tightens into the rear of the BC that essentially extends the BC thru the length of the folder allowing it to contact the buffer behind it.

This does add some weight to the system,  so you may or may not need to reduce your buffer weight.   It really depends on where your system is.... if your slightly over gassed,  odds are you will be fine.  But if you’re right on the edge of cycling reliability,  you may need to drop your buffer weight.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 4:53:01 PM EDT
[#38]
I have no idea why it's such a big thing. It adds significant weight + doesnt allow consequitive firing when folded.
Just take the upper off the lower, and it'll fit in a small bag.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 6:04:08 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I have no idea why it's such a big thing. It adds significant weight + doesnt allow consequitive firing when folded.
Just take the upper off the lower, and it'll fit in a small bag.
View Quote

You grab your bag and open it, how fast can you grab the 2 halves, assemble them and finally shoot the gun?

Can you assemble the halves in less than a second because thats about the time it takes to close the folder.

The PDW stocks will never collapse as short as the folded gun either so those are moot AFAIC
Fucking boomers and their nyet rifle is fine.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 9:43:18 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote

Big overlap between people who were late getting off their asses and buying guns until now, and those who are prone to just walk into a shop and buy whatever is on the wall because they're impulsive.

People are buying these because they want rifles that fit in small bags/vehicle interiors that are quick to deploy.
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 2:42:47 PM EDT
[#41]
KAK makes an aluminum buffer extension that will save a few ounces. Weight is definitely the biggest draw back for me. I wish LAW would either build a Ti version or license it to a shop that does Ti parts.

I have had a law folder since the Gen 3 came out. Makes an AR pistol much easier to travel with. I get the “split it in half” camp, but I don’t really want pieces of my life saving device separated like that. Shit happens and I want everything as together as possible. My current one rides on a 10.5” 300 BO build.

Seems LAW folders had been tough to get for a while, so I back ordered one from Brownells in December. It took about a month, but it showed up. I don’t have any particular plans for it, but it’s a nice part to have on hand.
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 6:53:25 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote

Agreed.  The MCX is actually designed to work with a folding stock, i.e. you can shoot it all day long with the stock folded.  Not sure this can be done with the Law Tactical Folder on a regular AR.  The MCX, which does away with the read buffer tube, spring and buffer, makes many more stock options possible than a regular AR.
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 7:18:47 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Agreed.  The MCX is actually designed to work with a folding stock, i.e. you can shoot it all day long with the stock folded.  Not sure this can be done with the Law Tactical Folder on a regular AR.  The MCX, which does away with the read buffer tube, spring and buffer, makes many more stock options possible than a regular AR.
View Quote

Law Tactical Gen 3 Folding Adaptor
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 6:58:23 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

You grab your bag and open it, how fast can you grab the 2 halves, assemble them and finally shoot the gun?

Can you assemble the halves in less than a second because thats about the time it takes to close the folder.

The PDW stocks will never collapse as short as the folded gun either so those are moot AFAIC
View Quote

I would just do it right from the first place with a brownells brn or comparable sig.
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 3:45:58 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
KAK makes an aluminum buffer extension that will save a few ounces. Weight is definitely the biggest draw back for me. I wish LAW would either build a Ti version or license it to a shop that does Ti parts.

I have had a law folder since the Gen 3 came out. Makes an AR pistol much easier to travel with. I get the “split it in half” camp, but I don’t really want pieces of my life saving device separated like that. Shit happens and I want everything as together as possible. My current one rides on a 10.5” 300 BO build.

Seems LAW folders had been tough to get for a while, so I back ordered one from Brownells in December. It took about a month, but it showed up. I don’t have any particular plans for it, but it’s a nice part to have on hand.
View Quote

I don't think every AR needs to have a law tactical folder, but one of them needs to have one.
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 3:54:51 PM EDT
[#46]
I'm interested but concerned how so much of the internals of the buffer system seems to be exposed to the elements.  If you had a folder out in the field in the dirt and the mud what is the chance it would have problems?
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 5:32:59 PM EDT
[#47]
For $30 more from Brownells you can get the 17 Design folding AR lower with the hinge mechanism integral to the lower. Sure, you lose the ability to switch it from gun to gun, but how many people are doing that? I also think I've the seen the 17 Design lower sold for a lower price other places.
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 5:38:30 PM EDT
[#48]
I wanted one a while ago and couldn't find one in stock. Now I just dont want to pay that much.
Link Posted: 3/4/2021 10:29:31 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I'm interested but concerned how so much of the internals of the buffer system seems to be exposed to the elements.  If you had a folder out in the field in the dirt and the mud what is the chance it would have problems?
View Quote

When it's in the shooting position, everything is sealed up tight.  There's 0 gap in the hinge.  When folded, it would be stowed, likely in a backpack, so dust/debris won't be an issue.

Now if you're running around in the sand/mud with it folded I could pretty easily see getting crap in there but there's literally no reason I could that it would be in the folded position handing from a sling.
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 3/7/2021 1:55:19 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

I would just do it right from the first place with a brownells brn or comparable sig.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, but that wasn't what you were saying when you were called out on your "just take the upper off the lower, and it'll fit in a small bag."

The LAW works well for those who don't want to invest in a different platform to get a smaller package.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top