Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/10/2020 9:40:34 AM EDT

Is it made in-house?  I have one on one of their rifles.

I’m looking at all ambi safeties including the BAD-ASS and BAD-CASS.  

Any advice is appreciated.
Link Posted: 5/10/2020 10:20:19 AM EDT
[#1]
Not sure who the OEM is on them.

However, as someone who has about a dozen Battle Arms selectors, mainly the CASS ST type, I’d recommend looking at Radian. They’re significantly cheaper. They don’t use screws. Every selector has both the 90 and 45 degree option. They’re lighter weight. They offer several sizes of levers.
Link Posted: 5/10/2020 10:22:30 AM EDT
[#2]
I like the cheap ($15) ambi's from JoeBobs - short/scalloped on  "off side", can be set for a 60 or 90 degree throw.  

The aimsurplus ambi safety (cheap too at $20) is similar, but 45 or 90 degree throw.

Neither of these is like the colt, but they are available.  If you want to spend more on fancier, then go for it- I'd recommend one that can toggle between the standard 90 degrees and a lower amount - 45 or 60 seem to be the most common.

Link Posted: 5/10/2020 10:43:35 AM EDT
[#3]
Schmid Tool is one OEM, likely more than one.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/10/2020 11:27:49 AM EDT
[#4]
yup Schmid.

this is the bag mine came in.
too bad the short lever broke off the first range trip... put the KAC one back on immediately.

Link Posted: 5/10/2020 11:35:29 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Frens:
yup Schmid.

this is the bag mine came in. 
too bad the short lever broke off the first range trip... put the KAC one back on immediately.

https://i.postimg.cc/vZWT53PY/IMG-1556.png
View Quote

Damn shame.

And replacement lever is only ~$40 .
Link Posted: 5/10/2020 12:52:01 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm reading all the responses even if I don't comment.  I'm not married to the Colt ambi, and I welcome any suggestions.  They would be going on a couple of Aero M4E1 lowers.
Link Posted: 5/10/2020 5:17:29 PM EDT
[#7]
The Colt part adds two pieces and is fully functional if all the ambi stuff falls off.

The BAD levers are a bunch of pieces basically held together with Locktite.

Use the Colt one.
Link Posted: 5/10/2020 5:46:09 PM EDT
[#8]
There are several different companies that sale the same Schmid ambi under their name (BCM, SOLGW, Spikes, etc). Just google ambi ar safety, and if it looks mil spec and has the S stamp, it’s Schmid. They are all I use other than the KAC ambi that I have on one of my rifles.
Link Posted: 5/10/2020 5:59:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Crogers23:
There are several companies that sale the Schmid ambis under their names (BCM, SOLGW, Spikes, etc). Just google ambi ar safety, and if it looks mil spec and has the S stamp, it’s Schmid. They are all I use other than the KAC ambi that I have on one of my rifles.
View Quote

Non .mil Schmid ambi is long lever both sides, Colt is long/short.

Non.mil Schmid:

Attachment Attached File

Also the length of fixed lever is shorter on FA selector than SA version.
Link Posted: 5/10/2020 6:01:46 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Tigwelder1971:

Non .mil Schmid ambi is long lever both sides, Colt is long/short.

Non.mil Schmid:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/416992/Screenshot_20200502-213355_Gallery_jpg-1-1410154.JPG

Also the length of fixed lever is shorter on FA selector than SA version.
View Quote

Right, sorry should have clarified. I just mean the long lever Schmid could be an option for OP and can be bought under several different brand names. I’ve also heard the slot that the ambi lever goes into is wider with the Colt ambi.
Link Posted: 5/10/2020 6:41:13 PM EDT
[#11]

Right, sorry should have clarified. I just mean the long lever Schmid could be an option for OP and can be bought under several different brand names. I’ve also heard the slot that the ambi lever goes into is wider with the Colt ambi.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Non .mil Schmid ambi is long lever both sides, Colt is long/short.

Non.mil Schmid:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/416992/Screenshot_20200502-213355_Gallery_jpg-1-1410154.JPG

Also the length of fixed lever is shorter on FA selector than SA version.

Right, sorry should have clarified. I just mean the long lever Schmid could be an option for OP and can be bought under several different brand names. I’ve also heard the slot that the ambi lever goes into is wider with the Colt ambi.

Can't recall honestly. One way/other,  right side levers are not interchangeable.
Link Posted: 5/10/2020 7:08:43 PM EDT
[#12]
I've used the Colt, LMT, KAC, and a bunch of others.

Get the Geissele Posi-Lock. It's the best of the bunch by far.
Link Posted: 5/10/2020 7:30:19 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I like the cheap ($15) ambi's from JoeBobs - short/scalloped on  "off side", can be set for a 60 or 90 degree throw.  

The aimsurplus ambi safety (cheap too at $20) is similar, but 45 or 90 degree throw.

Neither of these is like the colt, but they are available.  If you want to spend more on fancier, then go for it- I'd recommend one that can toggle between the standard 90 degrees and a lower amount - 45 or 60 seem to be the most common.

View Quote
This.
Link Posted: 5/10/2020 7:44:08 PM EDT
[#14]
The other nice thing about the Colt version is that it is reversible so that the short and long levers can be on either side.  It’s nice as a lefty to be able to flip it and have the short lever on the left side of the receiver.
Link Posted: 5/11/2020 12:18:03 AM EDT
[#15]
I run Colt ambi safeties on all my ARs. I couldn't find one in stock for my most recent build so I gave the Geissele Posi-Snap ambi safety a shot and love it. It's an extremely positive switch, almost hydraulic feeling if that makes sense. Ordered it directly from Geissele for $45 and had it 3 days later (this was in April). I'll probably never use anything else now considering the Colt costs just as much and isnt as nice as the Geissele.
Link Posted: 5/11/2020 12:19:30 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By Number0neGun:
I've used the Colt, LMT, KAC, and a bunch of others. 

Get the Geissele Posi-Lock. It's the best of the bunch by far.
View Quote

It's the Posi-Snap but yeah, I completely agree, the Geissele is by far the best.
Link Posted: 5/12/2020 10:25:44 AM EDT
[#17]
Thanks guys.  Still reading.  I like what I'm seeing about the Geissele.
Link Posted: 5/12/2020 12:53:48 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By C-4:

Thanks guys.  Still reading.  I like what I'm seeing about the Geissele.
View Quote

I was just comparing the KAC to the Colt ambi (made by Schmid) last night because of this thread. Usually I wouldn’t care to compare because Schmid and KAC are great either way lol but I have to say, the KAC is better. As the Geissele was described above, the KAC feels hydraulic. I love the Schmid safeties and have them in all but one of my AR’s, but there’s no denying the KAC is slightly better.
Link Posted: 5/12/2020 2:11:56 PM EDT
[#19]

I was just comparing the KAC to the Colt ambi (made by Schmid) last night because of this thread. Usually I wouldn’t care to compare because Schmid and KAC are great either way lol but I have to say, the KAC is better. As the Geissele was described above, the KAC feels hydraulic. I love the Schmid safeties and have them in all but one of my AR’s, but there’s no denying the KAC is slightly better.
View Quote

Until the go like this.....

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/12/2020 2:29:28 PM EDT
[#20]

Until the go like this.....

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/416992/A71-F10-B3-FD8-A-40-DC-88-D1-ED5960787-E-1412644.JPG
View Quote

I know little about this KAC selectors other than the one I have, but is it possible that one is a fake, or were there other variations? This is the stamping on mine?

ETA: never mind. I’m seeing a few different variations when doing a search.

Link Posted: 5/12/2020 3:35:43 PM EDT
[#21]

I know little about this KAC selectors other than the one I have, but is it possible that one is a fake, or were there other variations? This is the stamping on mine?

ETA: never mind. I’m seeing a few different variations when doing a search.

https://i.imgur.com/a6HW2dN.jpg
View Quote

Known issue with KAC MIM selectors.
Link Posted: 5/12/2020 4:42:13 PM EDT
[#22]

Known issue with KAC MIM selectors.
View Quote

That sucks. Any type of warranty?
Link Posted: 5/12/2020 5:09:29 PM EDT
[#23]

That sucks. Any type of warranty?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Known issue with KAC MIM selectors.

That sucks. Any type of warranty?

I'm fairly certain that Jack L would stand behind it. The biggest issue with MIM is that you do not know whether there is an issue until there is.

IIRC, KAC is working on a new gen selector, but I'm not certain on the details.
Link Posted: 5/17/2020 5:30:39 PM EDT
[#24]
I posted this in a thread about LMT and MIM parts. This happened to my KAC selector when I apparently set something on top of it on the workbench. I had finished assembling the lower, but it hadn't left the bench yet. I had it wrapped in an old T-shirt that I use as a cleaning rag to keep it from getting scratched up, and I guess I set something down on it without thinking. I noticed a few days later that the lever had snapped off. KAC sent me a replacement lever immediately after I contacted them, but it didn't make me very confident about the durability of the part.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 10:16:27 PM EDT
[#25]
Sionics is the only other company that I've seen offer a Schmid ambi with the short lever, similar to the Colt. With that said, only the Colt is reversible.
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 7:03:54 PM EDT
[#26]
Sons of liberty also have what appears to be a clone of a Colt Ambi-safety device.

With S cartouche. $29

https://sonsoflibertygw.com/ambi-safety-selector-kit/
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 7:25:03 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By alexA2:
Sons of liberty also have what appears to be a clone of a Colt Ambi-safety device. 

With S cartouche. $29

https://sonsoflibertygw.com/ambi-safety-selector-kit/
View Quote

Long lever both sides, Colt has a long/short.
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 7:28:22 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By infectedorganism:
Sionics is the only other company that I've seen offer a Schmid ambi with the short lever, similar to the Colt. With that said, only the Colt is reversible.
View Quote

That Sionics offering appears to have had detachable lever modded. The "S" marking is partially removed. Chopped/refinished.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 9:22:03 PM EDT
[#29]

That Sionics offering appears to have had detachable lever modded. The "S" marking is partially removed. Chopped/refinished. 

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/416992/SWS-ASS-S_01_jpg-1425554.JPG
View Quote

Yeah, I noticed that.

I'm confident it's a factory offering and not something Sionics does after the fact.

Outside of the bolt catch (that I've noticed), every major lower component Schmid provides Colt is slightly different than every other manufacturer.

If you compare pictures of the two, you can spot subtle differences. So to me, this is just another component that is made slightly different than the Colt part.

** There may be subtle differences in bolt catches, I have just never done any comparisons between a Colt bolt catch and one Schmid provides everyone else. Cage code bolt catches have been spotted, so maybe.
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 9:59:22 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By infectedorganism:

Yeah, I noticed that.

I'm confident it's a factory offering and not something Sionics does after the fact.

View Quote

Possibly.
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 11:53:24 AM EDT
[#31]
Wow, do any of you guys Forward Controls Design or Badger Ordnance?

Link Posted: 5/25/2020 5:16:43 PM EDT
[#32]
Mostly just speculation on my part, but I suspect the Colt ambi selector is protected by the M4 TDP or some patent/trademark/trade dress as is the four-position lower receiver extension. If I'm correct, Schmid Tool is only manufacturing them as directed by Colt.

Schmid tool is apparently manufacturing lower receiver extensions for someone else as well:  http://www.schmidtool.com/cnc-machining-aluminum-tube-fire-arms-industry.html
Link Posted: 6/2/2020 9:46:10 AM EDT
[#33]
Anyone try the Stagarms ambi selector?  Just curious to see what the experience is.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top