Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/15/2024 11:49:06 AM EDT
The other thread about not being able to get the barrel in got me thinking.

Other than obvious ones like Colt and FN who makes high quality milspec uppers that are not thermofit?

In my experience some brands are off the spec - either too loose or too tight.
Link Posted: 2/15/2024 12:26:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TGWLDR] [#1]
For basic milspec/forged?

RRA
Alex Pro Fab
CMMG
DSArms
Anderson
Spikes Tactical
Link Posted: 2/15/2024 12:41:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Bebop_941] [#2]
I'll add to the list:

Del-ton
Aero Percision
Windham Weaponry
Unbranded AR Contract Uppers (no personal experience but I've heard good things)

I don't think there are many known brands of stripped uppers that have issues, besides the occasional one offs.  Especially in the milspec/forged arena.

Just out of curiosity, which brands have been too tight or too loose a fit for you in the past?
Link Posted: 2/15/2024 1:25:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By TGWLDR:

RRA
Alex Pro Fab
CMMG
DSArms
Anderson
Spikes Tactical
View Quote

The RRA A2 upper I have required me to heat it up to get a Windham Weaponry barrel to slip into it. It was a sample of one and it might have just been a fluke, but I don't have enough experience with RRA uppers to know for sure.
Link Posted: 2/15/2024 1:43:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By 556Cliff:

The RRA A2 upper I have required me to heat it up to get a Windham Weaponry barrel to slip into it. It was a sample of one and it might have just been a fluke, but I don't have enough experience with RRA uppers to know for sure.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

RRA
Alex Pro Fab
CMMG
DSArms
Anderson
Spikes Tactical

Interesting, I hadn't heard that about any of the A2s.

I only have experience with their flat top offerings.
Link Posted: 2/15/2024 2:02:55 PM EDT
[#5]
The last dozen or so Anderson uppers I have used over the last two years do not require heat to insert a barrel, but there is no room for a shim of any size and it takes some pressure to seat the barrel, a true friction but still a slip fit.  The barrel will not just drop in but you don't have to pound it in or heat it up with a torch/heat gun or any of that BS, but you will have to push it in firmly.
Link Posted: 2/15/2024 2:13:28 PM EDT
[#6]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

RRA
Alex Pro Fab
CMMG
DSArms
Anderson
Spikes Tactical

Me neither. I haven't heard about anyone else having the same experience with RRA's A2 uppers being thermal fit, or any other A2 uppers that have been made available more recently being thermal fit. I'm believing more and more that the one I have is a fluke, as it has some other odd issues.
Link Posted: 2/15/2024 2:15:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Any upper and barrel combination could potentially be a ridiculously tight fit if they are at opposite ends of the tolerance range but still technically within spec.
Link Posted: 2/15/2024 2:47:22 PM EDT
[#8]
I use mostly Anderson and Aero.  Both tend to be snug fits, depending on the barrel, but don't require heat.
Link Posted: 2/15/2024 3:21:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Bebop_941:
I'll add to the list:

Del-ton
Aero Percision
Windham Weaponry
Unbranded AR Contract Uppers (no personal experience but I've heard good things)

I don't think there are many known brands of stripped uppers that have issues, besides the occasional one offs.  Especially in the milspec/forged arena.

Just out of curiosity, which brands have been too tight or too loose a fit for you in the past?
View Quote

I am talking plain jain milspec forged. No billet or anything like that.

I have had problems with Aero Precision and Anderson. As others have said, they may have been one offs. My brother has said similar things about lowers as well.

BCM is well made but I really dislike the thermofit and I know my way around a torch (learned to use one when I was kid from my Dad). As I said I know the theory behind the thermofit but not sure I buy it.

One of the things that makes the AR platform wonderful is you dont stuff like a press to install a barrel (AKs and HK roller lock). Needing a torch to install/remove a barrel kind of ruins it IMHO.
Link Posted: 2/15/2024 4:17:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By mark9000:

I am talking plain jain milspec forged. No billet or anything like that.

I have had problems with Aero Precision and Anderson. As others have said, they may have been one offs. My brother has said similar things about lowers as well.

BCM is well made but I really dislike the thermofit and I know my way around a torch (learned to use one when I was kid from my Dad). As I said I know the theory behind the thermofit but not sure I buy it.

One of the things that makes the AR platform wonderful is you dont stuff like a press to install a barrel (AKs and HK roller lock). Needing a torch to install/remove a barrel kind of ruins it IMHO.
View Quote

Gotcha - I would agree that any issues with Anderson or Aero uppers would be a one off as they typically make in spec parts.  I also agree with you regarding your take on thermal fit uppers.
Link Posted: 2/15/2024 5:12:19 PM EDT
[#11]
My Midwest Industry Forged Upper, Complete and Wilson Combat Fluted 18" Recon Barrel went together without any strain.

I also used a Wilson Combat Low Pro Gas Block and Tube, and a Midwest Industries G4 15" M-Lok handguard.

No problems experienced and all went together easily, on a Ballistic Advantage Stripped Enhanced Lower (made by Aero and the same as their M4E1 except with the BA Logo)
Link Posted: 2/15/2024 7:18:27 PM EDT
[#12]
My multiple Geissele upper receivers have been nice. Standard mil spec and tabbed.
Link Posted: 2/16/2024 5:20:15 PM EDT
[#13]
If they really were "mil-spec", they wouldn't be "thermo-fit" . . .
Link Posted: 2/16/2024 8:51:01 PM EDT
[#14]
I typically use LMT forged uppers, but that's because I usually use MARS-L lowers
Link Posted: 2/17/2024 2:53:28 AM EDT
[#15]
Centurion
Link Posted: 2/17/2024 5:04:47 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By lysanderxiii:
View Quote

That was my first thought but I'm kind of an autist about that term.
Link Posted: 2/17/2024 10:44:33 AM EDT
[#17]
I don't shoot old refrigerators and appliances in the dump.
Give me a thermo fit any day.
Link Posted: 2/17/2024 11:08:52 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By IowaFox:
View Quote

Meh, once 50 ft lbs of torque is applied they are all tight

Link Posted: 2/17/2024 11:21:11 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By IowaFox:
View Quote

I did for many years.

Damn I miss those days!!!
Link Posted: 2/18/2024 2:56:28 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By lysanderxiii:
View Quote

You said it way better than I did!! Thermofit is NOT mil-spec.
Link Posted: 2/20/2024 6:47:09 PM EDT
[#21]
As much as I dislike thermofit uppers, I also do not see mil-spec as an end goal.  If anything, it’s a starting point, nothing more.
Link Posted: 2/20/2024 11:48:33 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By Bebop_941:
I'll add to the list:

Del-ton
Aero Percision
Windham Weaponry

View Quote

two Aero uppers I bought were tight enough I had to use a mallet to drive the barrel in.  

no go for my purposes - Dolos takedown kits kind of demand NON friction fit upper to barrel interface.  

so I threw together a cheapie Bushmaster pencil barrel upper on one for the KP-15.  if I can get to the range with it tomorrow and see how it groups at 100yds I might get another one of the Bushmaster barrels and put a free float hg on the other Aero upper for the second KP-15 I have.

Anderson uppers have always been zero slop but non friction fit for me - they are on the two Dolos uppers I have.
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 11:38:10 AM EDT
[#23]

I did for many years.

Damn I miss those days!!!
View Quote

Can't say I haven't done it 30 years ago and it was fun at the time but I've moved on to more fun.
Link Posted: 2/28/2024 6:47:05 PM EDT
[#24]
Forged- VLTOR MUR
CMMG
AERO
MIDWEST INDUSTRIES
BCM

Billet - ADM UIC (Just Bought Very Nice)
Radian
Battle Arms
NEMO
Link Posted: 2/28/2024 6:47:38 PM EDT
[#25]
Forged- VLTOR MUR
CMMG
AERO
MIDWEST INDUSTRIES

Billet - ADM UIC (Just Bought Very Nice)
Radian
Battle Arms
NEMO
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top