Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/5/2021 11:35:14 AM EDT
Edit: Went with a Vortex flash hider.  Thanks guys!

This gun is fairly heavy and is mainly shot from the bench or prone.  18" White Oak Armament SPR barrel, Viper 5-25x. I'm looking at removing my Odinworks comp and going with more of a brake-style muzzle device.  Looking around the $75 mark.

So far considering the Fortis RED ($65), VG6 Epsilon ($65), Midwest Industries ($30).  Kind of leaning towards the Fortis.

Link Posted: 5/5/2021 11:44:30 AM EDT
[#1]
Honestly, I don't use a brake on my 223 heavy ARs.  I just don't have any issues losing sight picture after the shot and I don't have to deal with the concussion.  I use a Vortex flash hider.

Larger calibers? Precision Armament works well, but I shoot those suppressed nowadays.
Link Posted: 5/5/2021 11:57:10 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Honestly, I don't use a brake on my 223 heavy ARs.  I just don't have any issues losing sight picture after the shot and I don't have to deal with the concussion.  I use a Vortex flash hider.

Larger calibers? Precision Armament works well, but I shoot those suppressed nowadays.
View Quote

Yeah it's a pretty smooth shooting rifle with the rifle-length gas and weight, and I had considered a flash hider as well. I want to use the Odinworks comp on a different gun.

Why do some muzzle devices use shims instead of a crush washer?  I like the simplicity of the crush washer and would like to stick with that.
Link Posted: 5/5/2021 11:59:22 AM EDT
[#3]
VG6 Epsilon is my go-to brake on 5.56 AR's.  It's an excellent brake.  
And yes, get the Epsilon rather than the Gamma.  I've got both and the Epsilon has less jump.  

I've got a different Fortis brake (not their RED version) on another AR and it does OK, too.  

FWIW - Don't know anything about the Midwest Industries brake, but if all of the side ports are the same size and there's no top ports, I can't imagine it would be as good as the Fortis or the VG6.
Link Posted: 5/5/2021 12:20:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote

I dont either, I find a 556 brake is more noise than any benefits....with a rifle that heavy, what little recoil the 556 has will be negated by the rifle weight.

I would put a FH on instead,  Smith Vortex makes a great FH
Link Posted: 5/5/2021 12:50:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Shims are for suppressor adapters, to keep them aligned with the muzzle.
Link Posted: 5/5/2021 2:01:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Do you guys know what the difference is between the Vortex A2 and A3 other than the smooth surface or why one is better than the other? I think I like the look of the smooth one more.

Also, opinions on this? I think the longer length would look better.
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1003366867?utm_medium=shopping&utm_source=connexity&utm_campaign=DeepLinks&utm_content=DeepLink&cnxclid=16202387050899217766210080301008005
Link Posted: 5/5/2021 3:08:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Not positive  but I believe it was changed  to accommodate  their silencer from sticking. I use the smith  vortex on that same barrel , works well.
Link Posted: 5/5/2021 3:20:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Yeah it's a pretty smooth shooting rifle with the rifle-length gas and weight, and I had considered a flash hider as well. I want to use the Odinworks comp on a different gun.

Why do some muzzle devices use shims instead of a crush washer?  I like the simplicity of the crush washer and would like to stick with that.
View Quote
So some in the precision shooting community believe (and it's entirely possible) that a crush washer imparts tension at the muzzle which could negatively affect accuracy.  I know from experience that a muzzle devise that is too tight can negatively affect accuracy...but that's a sample of one and not to be considered gospel.

Shims, you simply select the correct shims to time the brake and torque down hand-tight with some blue loctite.

A Vortex doesn't require any timing.  One of the biggest reasons I selected them over others.
Link Posted: 5/5/2021 3:22:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Do you guys know what the difference is between the Vortex A2 and A3 other than the smooth surface or why one is better than the other? I think I like the look of the smooth one more.

https://static.larue.com/media/prodthumbs/9a/4f/9a4f22513f8de4e414e1e96a7ede4d81.jpg
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/e3/Vortex_Flash_Hider_made_by_Smith_Enterprise.jpg

Also, opinions on this? I think the longer length would look better.
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1003366867?utm_medium=shopping&utm_source=connexity&utm_campaign=DeepLinks&utm_content=DeepLink&cnxclid=16202387050899217766210080301008005
View Quote
I don't know honestly.  The last Vortex I ordered had grooved tines.  All of the others I own (and I use the Vortex almost exclusively) are smooth.
Link Posted: 5/5/2021 3:39:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Good point that the Vortex doesn't require timing.  Definitely a plus.  So do you even use a crush washer? I think it would annoy my OCD if the grooves for the wrench weren't perpendicular or parallel to the ground.

Can loctite handle the heat of the barrel?
Link Posted: 5/5/2021 3:56:34 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Good point that the Vortex doesn't require timing.  Definitely a plus.  So do you even use a crush washer? I think it would annoy my OCD if the grooves for the wrench weren't perpendicular or parallel to the ground.

Can loctite handle the heat of the barrel?
View Quote
No crushwasher.  No need to.  It essentially self-tightens.

I can't help you with OCD.  I don't pay attention to the flats, they just end up where they end up.

I use blue loctite on barrel extensions for bedding, under gas blocks to make a better seal on the journal, and on muzzle devices.  It remains solid up to 300 degrees.  If you're getting your barrel up to 300 degrees, you're killing it anyways.

Even on "blaster" ARs, I've never had a muzzle device come loose when using blue loctite.  That said, if I want to take things apart I can heat it with a propane torch.
Link Posted: 5/5/2021 4:56:15 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

No crushwasher.  No need to.  It essentially self-tightens.

I can't help you with OCD.  I don't pay attention to the flats, they just end up where they end up.

I use blue loctite on barrel extensions for bedding, under gas blocks to make a better seal on the journal, and on muzzle devices.  It remains solid up to 300 degrees.  If you're getting your barrel up to 300 degrees, you're killing it anyways.

Even on "blaster" ARs, I've never had a muzzle device come loose when using blue loctite.  That said, if I want to take things apart I can heat it with a propane torch.

View Quote

Gotcha.  Good to know.

I actually just found a new Vortex with the ribs (A3) on the EE so that's that!
Link Posted: 5/5/2021 5:32:51 PM EDT
[#13]
OP,

Glad you found yourself something in the EE.

FWIW, I use a Miculek comp on my SPR. It is a clone (or vice versa) of the comp at the bottom of your OP. It is loud. I wouldn't want to stand close to it at discharge. I wear ear plugs and muffs when I shoot, so it doesn't bother me sitting behind the rifle.
Link Posted: 5/5/2021 7:52:33 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
OP,

Glad you found yourself something in the EE.

FWIW, I use a Miculek comp on my SPR. It is a clone (or vice versa) of the comp at the bottom of your OP. It is loud. I wouldn't want to stand close to it at discharge. I wear ear plugs and muffs when I shoot, so it doesn't bother me sitting behind the rifle.
View Quote

I had actually looked at those Miculek comps in the past for a different rifle but just never ended up getting one.  They don't look too friendly, like the MI haha
Link Posted: 5/5/2021 8:47:02 PM EDT
[#15]
Precision Armament AFAB. I am also partial to Warcomps.
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 10:13:44 PM EDT
[#16]
smith for me
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top