Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/30/2022 7:09:08 PM EDT
I have a braced pistol, which has an AR style buffer tube with brace, and a castle nut holding things in place.

I put it on, loc tighted it, and now want to get it off.  But it's tight, and I can't remember which direction to rotate the nut.

I know clockwise to tighten, CC to loosen - but that depends on which way you are looking at it.  The castle nut goes onto the buffer tube looking at the end of the tube, while when it's on, you're looking the other way.

So, with the stock on my shoulder, do I rotate the castle nut clockwise or CC?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 6/30/2022 7:11:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Looking down the barrel from the rear...rotate Counterclockwise to loosen.
Link Posted: 6/30/2022 7:18:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Looking down the barrel from the rear...rotate Counterclockwise to loosen.
View Quote

This. Think of it as if you were behind the gun, holding it. Turn the castle nut to the left.
Link Posted: 6/30/2022 7:21:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

This. Think of it as if you were behind the gun, holding it. Turn the castle nut to the left.
View Quote

Thanks.  That what I thought, and tried getting it out but it doesn't want to budge so far, and wanted confirmation before I put more force on it.  Most likely will have my smith work his magic on it.
Link Posted: 6/30/2022 7:25:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Has it been staked?
Link Posted: 6/30/2022 7:36:11 PM EDT
[#5]
If you used thread locker you'll need it secured. It's likely going to take some heat and some ass behind the wrench

RRA uses blue Loctite and it's a bitch to remove them.
Link Posted: 6/30/2022 7:47:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 6/30/2022 8:09:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Good info from all, thanks.
Link Posted: 6/30/2022 10:42:05 PM EDT
[#8]
What loctite did you use? Not that it helps now, but going forward, staking is a better idea. Still. Securely clamping the reciever and heating the castle nut well should bust it loose with a little effort.
Link Posted: 7/1/2022 12:37:04 AM EDT
[#9]
Clamp the extension rail in a vice (pad the jaws), take the grip off and back up the lower with a big adjustable wrench on the flat that the grip slides onto.

You’re gonna need some power to break the locktite on that size of threads.
Link Posted: 10/19/2022 9:40:31 PM EDT
[#10]
If it's still stuck break out the breaker bar and rotate counter clockwise
Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top