Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/30/2018 9:54:51 PM EDT
I'm looking to build a 9mm AR, and I'm trying to decide which type of lower I should go with, i.e., Glock, Colt, Mp5. Does anyone know all the pros and cons of each?

From what I've been able to gather thus far is that the only pros for Glock are cheap, easy to find mags. The cons are that they are ugly, more difficult to insert into he receiver, have issues with LRBHO, and are dedicated.

Colt have LRBHO, look a little better, and I heard chatter that the receivers were more versatile as in can be converted for use with other calibers? The only cons I know of are the mags are more expensive.

All I really know about the MP5 receivers is that they look the best, but the mags cost the most...

I'm leaning towards Colt or MP5, but need more info.
Link Posted: 5/30/2018 10:12:01 PM EDT
[#1]
I had a Colt mag Colt 9mm.
I didn't like it, the mag was awkward.
I gave it to my BIL.

I prefer my Glock mag 9mms, especially because the mag doesn't get in my way compared to the way the Colt mag always felt.

I have a 9mm Tavor that I wish had a Glock mag option.
The 5.56 Tavor is handier than the 9mm Colt mag version.

It helps that I think the Glock mag versions look better, but I'm more interested in my ergonomics than whether I look like a fashion model on the range, or not.
Besides, I shoot in my back yard, so there's nobody to 'ooooh/aaaaah' at me anyway.
Link Posted: 5/31/2018 12:19:09 AM EDT
[#2]
Interesting. Out of all the reviews and info I read this far, to he consensus was that the Glock mags had to be inserted at a weird angle that was more difficult to do compared to the Colt mags. That plus all most of the reviews I read all mentioned that they had to make alterations to get the LRBHO to work reliably.

Who manufactures  the  lower lower you went with?
Link Posted: 5/31/2018 1:54:13 AM EDT
[#3]
It's not so much of a 'weird angle' that the mags insert at - it basically parallels the angle of the pistol grip.

I have a Spikes lower with built in LRBHO, and a New Frontier from JoeBob's Outfitters.
The side-charger upper from JoeBob has LRBHO built into it.
Link Posted: 5/31/2018 1:42:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Colt mag for the win!

I actually own two Glock and one Colt pattern AR-9, all in SBR configuration, so I’m not biased. I’ve got more trigger time on my Glock pattern AR-9’s, and I can tell you with certainty that the Colt pattern is a much more reliable and solid platform. Hell, the Colt mags are even more aesthetically pleasing over the Glock mag platform.
Link Posted: 6/1/2018 11:18:06 AM EDT
[#5]
Real happy wiht my Glock mag lower...

My only consideration would be if you plan to SBR the receiver.  If that is the case, get a standard AR receiver and use a drop in block.

Of course, there are drop in blocks for the colt or glock mag, so you are back to the same question again :)
Link Posted: 6/1/2018 11:22:28 AM EDT
[#6]
I find it much easier to insert a mag into my Glock NFA lower than I do my SBR with a Colt mag and mag block... the Glock follows the angle of the front of the mag well, and you visually guide it in... mine is used in USPSA competition, so I usually stick a 40 round extended mag in anyway...

if you want a WWII sub gun look, then go with the Colt... my LRBHO broke on the SBR the second time it locked back, don't have a use for one on the competition carbine
Link Posted: 6/1/2018 9:26:22 PM EDT
[#7]
so standard lower or bazooka bro lower if you are wanting to shoot multiple calibers on the same lower, like sbring a single lower.

bazooka if you want to shoot everything as it does grease gun mags for 45, 223 with the adapter removed, you could then put in the adapter for glock or colt mags and shoot 9mm. or 40.

standard lower, again if you are willing to run adapters for the regular 9mm or 223.

then dedicated full size mag well for colt but will only take colt mags.

or the dedicated half magwell size for the colt or glock mags only.
Link Posted: 6/1/2018 10:01:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Only have experience with the colt pattern but after polishing feed ramps and the barrel extension she runs like a top.  It was having FTF issues that was not ammo or mag related.
Link Posted: 6/2/2018 1:02:57 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I'm looking to build a 9mm AR, and I'm trying to decide which type of lower I should go with, i.e., Glock, Colt, Mp5. Does anyone know all the pros and cons of each?

I'm leaning towards Colt or MP5, but need more info.
View Quote
All this stuff has been discussed in quite a few threads over the past few months..

I would suggest you read those threads, and make the best use of the information contained in those threads.

Then you need to decide for yourself which platform you want to build.

_
Link Posted: 6/10/2018 12:11:59 AM EDT
[#10]
Personal preference
I prefer the Colt pattern while the Glock seemed awkward to insert for me,but I have multiple 9mm Glock handguns so building another with a Glock lower might be in my future.
Link Posted: 6/10/2018 12:38:46 AM EDT
[#11]
There are AR lowers that take MP5 mags?  First I’ve never heard of that.  MP5 mags aren’t that pricey.  The factory HK ones are, but the MKE ones from Turkey are much cheaper and run fine in my experience.

I went with Colt pattern mags on my 9mm AR.  I had a 9mm Colt Sporter Lightweight long ago, so I already had a number of Colt branded mags.  I got rid of the gun, but kept the mags, and later replaced the gun with a RRA LAR-9.  Another advantage is that my 9mm Tavor uses the same mags.  Also, there’s the functioning BHO, plus the fact the mags were specifically designed to be used in a 9mm AR as opposed to being just real long pistol mags.
Link Posted: 6/10/2018 10:52:29 AM EDT
[#12]
MP5 mags have the same issue as Glock mags, but worse.  At least with Glock mags if a Glock 9mm is your side arm you have mag interchange.  Also, if you don't have a stack of MP5 mags already, they may be a tad pricey.

Think about what you want to do wtih it.  If you are going to SBR it, using a mag block (for either glock or colt style mags) lets you do multiple different caliber uppers - you aren't stuck with a one trick pony.

But you still have to decide Glock vs Colt mag.  The Uppers for Glock mags from NFA that have the LRBHO doohickey are good and reliable.  And you can get them in side charging versions, but there is a higher cost.

So...

If LRBHO is a deal breaker for you, and you are on a restricted budget, go wtih Colt mag style.

If you just want LRBHO, or are willing to afford the extra cost of the special  upper, go with Glock style.

If you have a Glock pistol and want to maintain mag compatibility, go with Glock style.
Link Posted: 6/10/2018 11:20:13 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 6/11/2018 4:20:26 PM EDT
[#14]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It's not so much of a 'weird angle' that the mags insert at - it basically parallels the angle of the pistol grip.

I have a Spikes lower with built in LRBHO, and a New Frontier from JoeBob's Outfitters.
The side-charger upper from JoeBob has LRBHO built into it.
View Quote
Based on photos I've seen, some have a more severe rake than others.  It's the same mag.  So functionally, I don't understand making it so slanted if more vertical works just as well.  Could someone mechanically-inclined explain why some manufacturers do this?
Link Posted: 6/11/2018 11:36:59 PM EDT
[#15]
the Colt style magazines feed from both sides of the magazine, and need a feed ramp in front of the actual chamber mouth to guide the cartridges into the chamber... the double stack Glock magazines converge to a single feed lip to feed a pistol, and when used in an AR9 feed directly into the chamber without an additional feed ramp... the angle facilitates this direct feed... Glock based PCCs need narrow bolt bottom to strip cartridges from the center of the magazine and needs to be narrow enough not to strike the sides of the Glock magazine
Link Posted: 6/12/2018 8:26:47 AM EDT
[#16]
Another positive for the Glock lower is you can easily change calibers and have reliable mags. With the Glock small frame lower you can do 9mm, 40 S&W, 45 Gap and 357 Sig easily with no mods to the mags (depending on the upper used) same goes for the large frame Glock lowers there are a bunch of caliber options available. Where this comes in handy is if you love to shoot many different calibers and want 1 platform you just ad uppers which are cheaper most of the time then a complete gun OR if you plan to SBR the lower, with one stamp you can add other short barrel uppers/calibers.
Link Posted: 6/12/2018 3:00:22 PM EDT
[#17]
I have a factory Rock River carbine with a removable block for Colt type magazines; I use that block in my SBR lower with both the 16" Rock River upper and my 10" upper.  I also have one of the first QC10 GSF lowers, SBRd, and it runs great with both of my 9mm uppers as well.

I have a bunch of Colt-type magazines, and now that I'm building a Glock collection I'm also collecting Glock magazines.  The only limitation I've found is that the QC10 lower's magazine catch won't catch "Asian military" manufactured Glock magazines, though it will work with Magpul's Glock mags.

If you're buying MP5 magazines JUST for a 9mm AR carbine, I'm not sure what advice to give.  H&K MP5 magazines "just work," but they cost at least $60 each.  There are a number of other manufacturers that produce MP5 magazines, but you may or may not have a good experience.  I'm saving my lunch money for a few each POF and KCI (Korean) MP5 mags for my MP5 clone, but I'm not interested in yet another AR lower (and the SBR stamp for it) just so I can run MP5 magazines in it.
Link Posted: 6/12/2018 3:29:29 PM EDT
[#18]
If you want FAST reloads, buy a Glock lower and stick a magwell on it.  I have the taccom magwell on mine, it is lightening fast.  Like <1 second fast.

ETA if you think you may ever want to try your hand at competition then Glock is the way to go.  The Glock system has a ton more options for mag extensions, standard sizes, mag carriers, etc.
Link Posted: 6/18/2018 8:03:44 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 6/18/2018 8:20:57 PM EDT
[#20]
I have had both Glock and Colt Magazine AR9's, I liked Both and never had a problem with either. I started out with a Glock mag AR9 then decided to build a Colt Mag AR9, Sold the Glock, Then decided to build another Glock Mag, Decided the Glock Mag AR9 was the one I wanted and Sold the Colt mag AR9. So basically I went with the Glock over the Colt. One reason was Magazine availability, I can use any Mag from a G26 through the G18 Mags, another reason is if the Zombie Apocalypse Comes, more of the Zombies will probably be using Glocks than Pistols using Colt double stack Magazines. The Glock just feels better to me.

PSA Lower
Spartan LRBHO Upper
KAK Barrel
Blade w/ Tube
Umbrella Grip
SIG Romeo 5 Red Dot

Link Posted: 6/18/2018 8:39:28 PM EDT
[#21]
I have two dedicated, both Colt style, one pistol 7 1/2" DDLES lower and rifle 16" Bear Creek lower
Both run flawless, the pistol I've probably run 6000 plus rounds, maybe 2000 on the rifle

I own a ton of mag's C products, RR and Metalform all work great
Link Posted: 6/21/2018 2:51:12 PM EDT
[#22]
I've had both, A RRA colt pattern w/Hahn adaptor in a multical lower and a PSA non-LRHO 9mm dedicated Glock mag lower w/pistol upper.
Both were reliable, no malfunctions.
While the LRHO was nice on the Colt pattern, it was needed. Inserting a full 30 round mag on a closed bolt was iffy, sometimes the mag catch wouldn't engage without a good hard slap. On an open bolt no problem.
Inserting Glocks on a closed bolt was never an issue. My el cheapo Asian drum ran fine too, but needed a little filing where it hit the mag stop to fit.

I stayed with the colt pattern, I liked the old school straight steel mags and already had plenty of metalforms. And mine has feed ramps so it's never had any issues with hollow points or truncated bullets.
Link Posted: 7/14/2018 11:55:03 AM EDT
[#23]
I agree that the dedicated Colt lower looks better and the LRBHO is simpler and the same as the AR-15.

Jim Skeel

Here is my PSA Colt lower:

Here is the PSA Glock lower:
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top