Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 4
Link Posted: 2/25/2010 11:57:47 AM EDT
[#1]
Very cool test.  Thanks for taking the time and effort.  Just out of curiosity, what did you clean the sheet with before you applied the lubes?  Only reason I ask is that the control looks to be beading more than clean steel normally does.   I'm wondering if the factory treat was cleaned off completely before application.
Link Posted: 2/25/2010 12:09:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Mobil 1
Link Posted: 2/25/2010 12:29:20 PM EDT
[#3]
This is a great thread.  Nice work.  I think what this shows more than anything is how gravity affects the oil.  Back when I ran a gunshop, I noticed that when I removed the buttstock off an old shotgun, the stock was always darker where it met the receiver.  If you give it a sniff, the odor of oil was very strong.  

I think that most of the oil we apply simply flows down the weapon over time.  Some more than others.  

Taking oil to the range and starting with a wet weapon and keeping it that way is a good thing.

Wiping a preservative on it before storage is also good.  

I think putting a good grease in the hard working spots like the hammer & trigger engagement, around the cam pin, in the bolt and BC and on the BC rails.
Link Posted: 2/25/2010 1:07:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: vicious_cb] [#4]
Nice work!

Too bad BF CLP sucks ass as a lube.
Link Posted: 2/25/2010 1:19:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By UncivilEngineer:
Interesting results. My personal experience has been the lubrication qualities of BF CLP wear off much faster than Slip 2000. Somewhat odd that the corrosion resistant qualities don't correlate.

Slip 2000 is water based... shouldn't be surprising at all.

I use Slip as a lube, but I use CLP as a preservative on my swords.
Link Posted: 2/25/2010 1:30:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Strongbow:
Interesting results. My personal experience has been the lubrication qualities of BF CLP wear off much faster than Slip 2000. Somewhat odd that the corrosion resistant qualities don't correlate.

I don't think SLIP is water based.  IIRC it is a synthetic hydrocarbon made from plant oils or something.  

Link Posted: 2/25/2010 1:57:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Stupid question... what about a mix of lubes?

[flame shield on ]
Link Posted: 2/25/2010 2:03:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BamaInArk] [#8]
Interesting enough I found a link on the Slip2000 web site with a link to a download PDF file of a 2006 corrosion study performed by Superior Graphite Company.  The link is a direct download to the study results in a PDF file.  The test is from 2006 with BF CLP rated much lower on the list.

Here is the link to the Slip2000 page that includes the link:  http://www.slip2000.com/gunlube_info.html
Here is the link to retrieve the PDF itself:  Corrosion Analysis
Link Posted: 2/25/2010 2:14:27 PM EDT
[#9]
I like CLP

But,

+1 Would like to see Mobil Syn Oil

&

Mobil Syn Grease (Red) as comparison.

Link Posted: 2/25/2010 2:16:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Strongbow:

Their degreaser is water based, which is why they recomend to apply their lube after its use.
Link Posted: 2/25/2010 2:23:21 PM EDT
[#11]
motor oil?  cool test, thanx!
Link Posted: 2/25/2010 2:23:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Awesome thread. Makes me even happier I've been using CLP.
Link Posted: 2/25/2010 2:35:10 PM EDT
[#13]
Good work. I'm interested to see some more.

BTW, has anyone ever used Alum-a-Lub on their firearms?

MF
Link Posted: 2/25/2010 2:36:29 PM EDT
[#14]
It looks like most of the lubes ran off from gravity taking over I would lay the steel plate flat and do it again.CLP is excellent for rust prevention but I prefer slip 2000 for lubing.What I do is i wipe down with break free and lube with slip.Is breakfree the only lube out of all those tested thats petroleum based maybe thats a factor in rust prevention.
Link Posted: 2/25/2010 2:40:10 PM EDT
[#15]
The test is interesting, however, it won't have any effect on what I use to LUBE my weapons.  As noted by previous comments- while CLP might perform well in the unfired rust protection category of a sheet of steel, my use of it has shown it to be less reliable as a lubricant.  It dissipates easily and quickly.  Heat is another part of the equation not yet addressed.  The burn off rate with CLP is very high compared to MGL or Slip2000.  If I lube my weapon with MGL, I know that if I take it out a week later, hell even a month later, and head straight for the range, it will still be lubricated.  In fact, I know that I can shoot it without reapplying lube, store it for another month without touching it, and shoot it again without lubing it.  I have also found that my AR runs much dirtier with CLP than MGL.  It is actually a bit shocking how clean it was after about 800 rounds without cleaning, and only adding MGL once in a while.  

As for rust prevention, my locale is dry, and I tend to not leave my weapons on the lawn in the rain.  Usually.

A little info on an actual comparison of weapons that have been fired: http://www.slip2000.com/patrogersreview.html
Link Posted: 2/25/2010 3:05:19 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By ChromeLined:
It looks like most of the lubes ran off from gravity taking over I would lay the steel plate flat and do it again.

Ditto this... and it also looks like rust from the untreated portion above each lube my have run down onto the treated portion.  
Link Posted: 2/25/2010 3:15:20 PM EDT
[#17]
If anyone outside of the ARFCOM community saw this thread title they would be so confused.... try some KY
Link Posted: 2/25/2010 4:11:44 PM EDT
[#18]
wait..

Soo people really use mobil 1 full syth on their AR's for lube??

just as if u were going to put it away for storage or before shooting lube??

like the lube that you would put on the BCG??
Link Posted: 2/25/2010 4:12:36 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 2/25/2010 4:50:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: GetSome45] [#20]
Originally Posted By MPD444:
I wonder how Weapon Shield CLP would hold up.

http://www.steelshieldtech.com/mainpage/retail-product-weapon-shield.html]http://www.steelshieldtech.com/mainpage/retail-product-weapon-shield.html

I was thinking the same thing.  I've been using it on my handgun and really like it.  Smells good too.    Haven't completed my AR yet, so nothing to say in that regard.  

Link Posted: 2/25/2010 6:11:36 PM EDT
[#21]
Works great in all my ARs.  BGGs stay wet for a long time while in the safe, and after a lot of rounds down range.
Link Posted: 2/25/2010 8:53:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SoCalTrojanSoldier] [#22]
Thanks everyone for your comments. With this test I was only testing the protective factor of the lube with two concerns. Firstly, I wanted to know how well the products protected the firearms in the safe in a "wet environment" so I chose to do the test outside in an "extreme" environment. With this in mind, I wanted to extrapolate how long the lube stayed on the weapons in a "wet environment". I must admit that once I clean my weapons and place them in the safe, I don't relube prior to firing.

I am aware that this does not effectively show the lubricating properties of the products. I would love to figure out a way to determine the coefficient of friction with each of these products and try to determine if there is any change over time.

To answer some questions:

1 - I used my finger to rub in the lube and then wiped it down with a new clean surgical sponge per column. There was no run off.

2 - I was concerned about factory treatment on the steel and thus chose what is supposed to be untreated material. On the next run, with more products, I will sand or steel wool the surface first. I did consider using raw black steel and still might. I wanted cheap steel that would rust easily. Barrel grade would be expensive.

3 - I also thought it odd that some areas which were treated rusted the same as the untreated.

Again this is a backyard unscientific study to settle my own curiosity and to save me some short term and long term money. Oh and to decrease clutter, I tend to be a hoarder.
Link Posted: 2/25/2010 9:36:17 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By SoCalTrojanSoldier:
Thanks everyone for your comments. With this test I was only testing the protective factor of the lube with two concerns. Firstly, I wanted to know how well the products protected the firearms in the safe in a "wet environment" so I chose to do the test outside in an "extreme" environment. With this in mind, I wanted to extrapolate how long the lube stayed on the weapons in a "wet environment". I must admit that once I clean my weapons and place them in the safe, I don't relube prior to firing.

I am aware that this does not effectively show the lubricating properties of the products. I would love to figure out a way to determine the coefficient of friction with each of these products and try to determine if there is any change over time.

To answer some questions:
1 - I used my finger to rub in the lube and then wiped it down with a new clean surgical sponge per column. There was no run off.
2 - I was concerned about factory treatment on the steel and thus chose what is supposed to be untreated material. On the next run, with more products, I will sand or steel wool the surface first. I did consider using raw black steel and still might. I wanted cheap steel that would rust easily. Barrel grade would be expensive.
3 - I also thought it odd that some areas which were treated rusted the same as the untreated.

Again this is a backyard unscientific study to settle my own curiosity and to save me some short term and long term money. Oh and to decrease clutter, I tend to be a hoarder.

I would NOT use my finger to run in the oils. Your skin has secretions that can actually help metal rust.
Link Posted: 2/25/2010 9:52:13 PM EDT
[#24]

Originally Posted By vicious_cb:

I would NOT use my finger to run in the oils. Your skin has secretions that can actually help metal rust.

That is very true.  It is just what I do when I clean my rifles.
Link Posted: 2/25/2010 9:53:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: USMC223] [#25]
While in the Corps serving as an Armorer 90% of the time our small arms were protected by CLP. We had gallons of the stuff, literally. Battle tested and time proven. Hate all you want it is good stuff.
I do love the Birchwood Casey Sheath for certain apps.

To the OP, cool test.
Link Posted: 2/25/2010 9:56:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SemperGumbi] [#26]
Bravo CLP!  I thought many times about trying some of these newfangled lubes and now... Not so much.

Break Free CLP and Hoppes #9 for me!

And before somebody calls me an idiot - the #9 is only used in the barrel and is always followed by CLP.

Page 4 is Mine!!!!!
Link Posted: 2/25/2010 10:01:30 PM EDT
[#27]
I'm also very curious about Eezox

It's supposed to be outstanding at rust prevention...but I don't know how good it is as a lube.
Link Posted: 2/25/2010 10:19:02 PM EDT
[#28]

Originally Posted By Xskier45:

I'm also very curious about Eezox

It's supposed to be outstanding at rust prevention...but I don't know how good it is as a lube.

Supposed to be an excellent lube.

I would like to see how Eezox performs in your test.

Link Posted: 2/25/2010 10:23:55 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 2/25/2010 10:31:06 PM EDT
[#30]
CLP runs off my BCG's.. Machine gunners lube does not. When I run CLP I have to keep applying it ever 300 rounds or so to guarantee reliability. With Machine gunners lube i make it to 500 rounds plus. Simply stated CLP is a better all purpose  Cleaner Lubricant Protectant but MGL is a better lubricant. I rarely use CLP any more as there are better cleaners and better lubes, but again as a in the feild do it all its hard to beat CLP.
Link Posted: 2/25/2010 10:47:39 PM EDT
[#31]
Hell LSA stays on better than breakfree.
Link Posted: 2/25/2010 10:50:12 PM EDT
[#32]
Tag. Thanks for doing this.
Link Posted: 2/25/2010 11:25:22 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 2/25/2010 11:35:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: vicious_cb] [#34]
Originally Posted By Unicorn:
There are a number of people saying that this test doesn't mean much because it only shows how well it preserves, but not how well it actually lubes, which is supposedly different. Blah blah blah.  Many of those "lubes" claim to prevent rust.    So shouldn't ALL their claims be tested?

Well maybe they should read the title of the thread then.

Its well known that CLP is poor lube, at least now people can find an alternative use for it.

Also, I would like to see FP-10 tested
Link Posted: 2/26/2010 8:44:40 AM EDT
[#35]
I'm curious how G96 products would fair...that is what I use.  I may have to try this test myself....great write up SoCalTrojanSoldier!
Link Posted: 2/26/2010 9:47:59 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TurboniumOxide] [#36]
I would like to see a test of Militec-1. I use CLP on my guns while in storage (Even patch the bore with it), but Militec-1 sparingly for lube when I prepare for a range trip.

Excellent info OP, thanks!

Link Posted: 2/28/2010 12:21:16 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ucrt] [#37]
I think this is the test that a couple of people were refering to earlier.

The Gun Zone - "Rust Preventatives for Firearms"

I think all of the products tested claim to "protect from rust".

In all actuality, I don't won't a rusty well-lubed gun! Heck, if the parts that need to be lubricated become rusty, how well wil they continue to function??

Thanks for doing your test. We need all the info we can to make good decisions.

Wonder is some true-blue ARF.com'r would try running some of these lubes in their lawnmowers to see which ones held up longest??? I'll do my part and try the Mobil 1. Anyone up for the WD40 or 3in1 or CLP in the lawnmowers?

Link Posted: 2/28/2010 12:53:16 AM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By TurboniumOxide:
I would like to see a test of Militec-1. I use CLP on my guns while in storage (Even patch the bore with it), but Militec-1 sparingly for lube when I prepare for a range trip.

Excellent info OP, thanks!  

My former agency issued Militec.  As advertised and from experience, it's a good lube, but not much of a rust preventative.

The OP's results don't surprise me at all.  Good work.

Link Posted: 2/28/2010 1:35:57 AM EDT
[#39]
Glad I lucked up and bought a big bottle of the stuff that worked the best!  Great idea and nice test.  Thanks for your efforts.
Link Posted: 2/28/2010 3:20:29 AM EDT
[#40]
High temp wheel bearing grease is the best gun lube. CLP is great for protecting your bore though.
Link Posted: 2/28/2010 3:27:11 AM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By artsohc:
I'd tag it.

do those black wheels on your mustang make it run better or look cooler? sorry couldnt resist with what your signature says :D

oh and tag...
Link Posted: 2/28/2010 6:50:41 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Triumph675] [#42]
Originally Posted By USMC223:
While in the Corps serving as an Armorer 90% of the time our small arms were protected by CLP. We had gallons of the stuff, literally. Battle tested and time proven. Hate all you want it is good stuff.
I do love the Birchwood Casey Sheath for certain apps.

To the OP, cool test.

Exactly this. I was taught to use BF CLP way way back when I was on the NROTC shooting team in college. We practiced at the local Marine Corps Reserve base and they used only BF CLP and I have also ever since then.
If it's good enough for the USMC it's good enough for me.
Link Posted: 2/28/2010 8:01:02 AM EDT
[#43]
CLP FTW!!!!
Link Posted: 2/28/2010 8:37:30 AM EDT
[#44]
I don't know if its already been Sid but you should try the original slip 2000 instead of that EWL stuff. I tried it and it didn't seem as good a product as the original.
Link Posted: 2/28/2010 8:50:19 AM EDT
[#45]
Great test - Thanks !
Link Posted: 2/28/2010 10:30:10 AM EDT
[#46]
Great test.   Weird how BF CLP acts different from a different dispencer!?

But you forgot the best of all!   Corrosion X.

-Masta
Link Posted: 2/28/2010 12:52:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: LFR787] [#47]
This might help a little too

http://www.6mmbr.com/corrosiontest.html
Link Posted: 2/28/2010 2:05:37 PM EDT
[#48]
Been using BF for about 10 years on the advice of my first CHL instructor. Nice to see it is what he said it was. Based on some replies I may try the tandem CLP and Slip to get the most outta my guns. Gonna keep an eye on this thread. Hats off to the OP.
Link Posted: 2/28/2010 3:02:55 PM EDT
[#49]
Tag for further testing...
Link Posted: 2/28/2010 4:23:15 PM EDT
[#50]
Thanks for taking the time for this. Good stuff!
Page / 4
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top