Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/5/2022 5:12:16 PM EDT
I was just talking to a friend of mine today and he told me he wanted to get an A.R. 15 preferably something like a police trade in carbine size with a heavy barrel. We live in Maryland so we have to have a heavy barrel. Does anyone know any place that might sell something like this? And preferably a decent brand like an older bushmaster or Colt, etc, something like that. Thanks a lot for any help
Link Posted: 8/5/2022 6:08:23 PM EDT
[#1]
I think, given the media's obsession with AR15s, no agency is going to risk the potential PR armageddon of a former LE rifle being used in a mass (or any) shooting.
Link Posted: 8/5/2022 6:14:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Several outlets.

Google PD trade in guns.
Link Posted: 8/5/2022 6:17:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I think, given the media's obsession with AR15s, no agency is going to risk the potential PR armageddon of a former LE rifle being used in a mass (or any) shooting.
View Quote

This is probably true and while I'm not well versed in police carbines, it seems like it would be difficult to find one with a heavy barrel. Not really necessary for their intended use. On a side note - who comes up with these dumbass laws? You can only have an AR15 if it has a heavy barrel? WTF difference does that make? I don't agree with most gun laws, but at least come up with something that has some sort of illusion of keeping people safe. I dont think "If he had a heavy barrel he'd be too lazy to drag it up on that bell tower" is a reasonable argument ?????
Edit: If cost saving is the intent, I'd just but a PSA CHF upper and one of their lowers and pin them together. Done
Crap. Somewhere between complaining about the heavy barrel and typing PSA I forgot about the heavy barrel. It's been a long day in the sun.
Link Posted: 8/5/2022 6:25:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Gunbroker has a few here and there.

I would just do a Windham Weaponry HBAR carbine.

Atlantic Firearms WW HBAR out of stock right now but you can sign up for in stock notifications.
Link Posted: 8/5/2022 6:43:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Ive seen better deals fairly recent but this is the most recent ones that popped up

https://northeastmunitions.com/product/colt-ar-15a3-rifle-556mm-used-13
Link Posted: 8/5/2022 7:28:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Recoil has some sometimes

SOLGW has some police trade ins as we’ll occasionally
Link Posted: 8/5/2022 7:30:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Why not just buy a bushmaster xm15 heavy barrel rifle?  .
Link Posted: 8/5/2022 8:01:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Recoil gun werks gets batches of PD 6920s. You can buy a new Colt for same price usually. The Colt SOCOM comes with a heavy barrel. They are $1500, and you get a lot of gun and accessories for the price
Link Posted: 8/5/2022 8:40:57 PM EDT
[#9]
https://www.bluemountainsupplyllc.com/

Arfcom dealer, keep an eye on their page.
Link Posted: 8/8/2022 7:35:13 AM EDT
[#10]
GT Distributors

Kings guns

Recoil Gunworks
Link Posted: 8/8/2022 12:33:44 PM EDT
[#11]
Check AIM Surplus and Sportsman's Outdoor Superstore
Link Posted: 8/8/2022 3:14:40 PM EDT
[#12]
I know Botach gets kits in every so often. They have a shotty reputation as a company especially from arfcom members.

As people have mentioned before, Blue mountain always seems to get kits as well.
Link Posted: 8/8/2022 3:23:37 PM EDT
[#13]
GT's always has some flavor of AR coming in, try there.
Link Posted: 8/8/2022 6:38:02 PM EDT
[#14]
Colt 6721 is HB 1:9.

Aim
Botach
GT
Link Posted: 8/9/2022 11:51:40 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Aim
Botach
GT
View Quote

Yep, AKA the AR-15A3 Carbine for the uninitiated. PD trade-ins are around.
Link Posted: 8/9/2022 9:32:57 PM EDT
[#16]
GT Distributors near Austin gets them in sometimes. Last time I was in there (yesterday) they had some original Bushmasters, but I don't think any of them had HBs. A couple of them had the old-school Surefire lights/mounts on the forearms.

A couple of years ago I picked an LE Only-marked Colt 6520 from them. $600 OTD.
Link Posted: 8/9/2022 10:07:06 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Aim
Botach
GT

I had one of these back in the day, foolishly traded it toward a "better" AR.  It was one of the most accurate AR's I've ever shot, still to this day.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top