Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/26/2020 10:02:17 PM EDT
go out of business?

As you can see, I live in a restricted state and couldn't find an answer to this.

Are they really a pre ban magazine?

Any documentation to prove so?

Thanks
Link Posted: 9/27/2020 9:19:22 AM EDT
[#1]
Issues with weak springs and the black followers lead to inconsistent performance. Better springs and green followers seem to correct those issues according to ARFCOM.

I had some that seemed out of spec for the curve but could have been a tight mag well. I have one Colt that only uses USGI. Had one Oly that hated them all.

Made after Nam. Early 1980’s to early 1990’s. Often dated coded on the inside.

I think Cooper mags were said to be the worst - all were returned.

Lots of preban mags on the EE.
Link Posted: 10/4/2020 7:17:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/18/2020 12:05:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Issues with weak springs and the black followers lead to inconsistent performance. Better springs and green followers seem to correct those issues according to ARFCOM.

I had some that seemed out of spec for the curve but could have been a tight mag well. I have one Colt that only uses USGI. Had one Oly that hated them all.

Made after Nam. Early 1980’s to early 1990’s. Often dated coded on the inside.

I think Cooper mags were said to be the worst - all were returned.

Lots of preban mags on the EE.
View Quote

I have some Coopers and I was never aware they were problematic. With Magpul Gen 3 followers they have been 100% reliable. If they are verified pre-ban I would sell them to someone in a ban state. There are no date codes on them.
Link Posted: 10/23/2020 11:53:07 AM EDT
[#4]
I recently came into some Sanchez mags. No dates/codes inside or out, green followers/SS springs.

Being in a free state I've never paid much mind to preban / postban details.

If no dates/markings are they just assumed preban? Are they gtg for ban states?
Link Posted: 10/24/2020 8:20:54 AM EDT
[#5]
They were standard issue until 1993/4.  They went out of business at that time as well because they lost the USGI contract after finding out it was the black follower and they are the reason for the green follower.  If you have a green follower rock on or grab a magpul follower.  They a good to go and I had a few of them in the Arms room in 2002/2003 that were still going strong and technically brand new with black followers that were okay in semi auto form but three round burst became an issue.

This is only from a Army Officer persepctive so I am not a technical guy.  At the time I was a .308 fan with my M14 and I liked my M9.  It was not until after Ranger school and deploying to sandy places did I fund out that I really enjoy my M4.
Link Posted: 10/24/2020 4:46:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
They were standard issue until 1993/4.  They went out of business at that time as well because they lost the USGI contract after finding out it was the black follower and they are the reason for the green follower.  If you have a green follower rock on or grab a magpul follower.  They a good to go and I had a few of them in the Arms room in 2002/2003 that were still going strong and technically brand new with black followers that were okay in semi auto form but three round burst became an issue.

This is only from a Army Officer persepctive so I am not a technical guy.  At the time I was a .308 fan with my M14 and I liked my M9.  It was not until after Ranger school and deploying to sandy places did I fund out that I really enjoy my M4.
View Quote

I knew about the follower part. But thanks for the other info.
I can't really track down anything on the company itself
Link Posted: 10/28/2020 11:39:48 AM EDT
[#7]
I found one in my mag stash with no date code so it has to be pre 1993/4.  You should be good to go since they lost the contract in 1993 or 1994 to supply magazines to the US government.
Link Posted: 11/1/2020 1:17:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Can MA residents still buy pre-94 standard capacity mags?
Link Posted: 11/1/2020 5:35:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Can MA residents still buy pre-94 standard capacity mags?
View Quote

Currently yes.
I'm trying to scoop up as many dated ones as I financially can
Link Posted: 11/1/2020 5:41:42 PM EDT
[#10]
Problem is, I financially and internally cry at the prices of them most of the time.
While everyone else is getting 30 round pmags for like $13 , I need to find prebans that are $30-$60 a piece and then follow up with finding magpul anti tilt followers and then finding magazine springs.
So the price goes up again.

I've been lucky to find some for $30.
Because $40-$60 is ridiculous to me. I understand the supply and demand mentality behind it.

But one would think, for one of the most popular guns on the planet, dated prebans would number in the near millions, but are so hard to come by.
Link Posted: 11/1/2020 8:12:02 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Problem is, I financially and internally cry at the prices of them most of the time.
While everyone else is getting 30 round pmags for like $13 , I need to find prebans that are $30-$60 a piece and then follow up with finding magpul anti tilt followers and then finding magazine springs.

Because $40-$60 is ridiculous to me. I understand the supply and demand mentality behind it.

But one would think, for one of the most popular guns on the planet, dated prebans would number in the near millions, but are so hard to come by.
View Quote

Interesting. I dropped you an email through the forum.
Link Posted: 11/2/2020 1:42:49 PM EDT
[#12]
The issue is you are looking for dated, that was not a requirement for the Military until after the 94 AWB.  Most contracts but one I think did not put dates on them.
Link Posted: 11/3/2020 1:22:00 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

I did a mag inventory over the weekend to see if I needed to top up anything and found I’ve got 9 pre-ban black follower mags, I’ll PM you.
Link Posted: 11/4/2020 10:34:40 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
The issue is you are looking for dated, that was not a requirement for the Military until after the 94 AWB.  Most contracts but one I think did not put dates on them.
View Quote

Even non dated ones, are around $30.
Maybe thats because of the current situation we are in right now.
Also maybe because it was new old stock still in the bag, that is technically supposed to be preban are going for that.

Being in the state I live in, with an pain in the ass attorney general that made an announcement for prosecution of such things makes so many people hesitant to even own an AR.

It also drives up prices insanely on them even though its not official law.
Example ARs that are pre 2016 going for $2000+, lower receivers along going for $1000+
Link Posted: 11/4/2020 11:05:17 AM EDT
[#15]
So, can MA residents own 30 rd mags with no date codes?  Are they considered/assumed preban by state government?

This communist shit is confusing.
Link Posted: 11/4/2020 11:11:23 AM EDT
[#16]
Technically no.

But there has been no prosecuted cases on magazines alone yet.

So its a risk assessment for everyone.
But we can't walk around with pmags like the rest of 90% of the country.

The safest way is dated only.
But some follow the follower color rule,some follow the company that manufactured them rule.
Link Posted: 11/4/2020 11:15:11 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Technically no.

But there has been no prosecuted cases on magazines alone yet.

So its a risk assessment for everyone.
But we can't walk around with pmags like the rest of 90% of the country.

The safest way is dated only.
But some follow the follower color rule,some follow the company that manufactured them rule.
View Quote

Well that's confusing as all hell.

Link Posted: 11/4/2020 11:20:46 AM EDT
[#18]
To expand on the AR thing,
I'm not talking about Gucci'd out AR's.
I'm talking about bone stock palmettos that are sub $600 going for $2000 with proof of receipt of purchase pre 2016.

Same with lower relievers like noveski or others going for $800+

The real only way to not fear potential prosecution is dated and receipt pre 2016.
True 1986 pre ban
Build an 80% lower.

Some retailers give zero fucks and don't pay attention to her 2016 announcement (not law) and sell stripped lowers, but those start at $250-$300.

She's bullied ffls into not even selling AR's unless its pre 1986 or consignment.
Most won't sell lowers, most won't sell 80% lowers.

I just started Nd got my permit this year. Finding out about these asinine laws and not knowing the real answers because of lawyer speak is insanity.
Link Posted: 11/12/2020 9:47:51 PM EDT
[#19]
I just wanna say thanks to the people that reached out to me after seeing the contents of this thread.

You've made my first ar ownership easier by offering up your pre bans.
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top