Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/11/2024 1:26:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: scottMO]
Over the years, I was a slow learner and parts would go flying in my work area and I’d have no idea where they went. Haven’t built an AR or swapped out a tube lately, so this is at least a year old. Was grabbing one of my longer screwdrivers that I had on a magnetic strip on the wall and lo and behold look what I found.  

I now do certain parts of my builds either in the bathtub with a shower curtain blocking flying parts, or in an upside down clear plastic tub with arm holes cut out (that looks like I’m I scientist working with infectious diseases, or like I’m touching a baby in an incubator, lol)

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/11/2024 1:37:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Bet ya can't do that again

Link Posted: 1/11/2024 2:26:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Bebop_941] [#2]
Originally Posted By scottMO:
I now do certain parts of my builds either in the bathtub with a shower curtain blocking flying parts
View Quote

Make sure you cover the drain😄
Link Posted: 1/11/2024 8:27:37 PM EDT
[#3]
I've heard of people making assembly boxes from Rubbermaid boxes resembling sand blasting booths.  The lid would have a plexiglas window, and you insert your hands through holes cut for them.  Any parts that decide to launch never leave the box.
Link Posted: 1/13/2024 7:28:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Large clear dry cleaning bags work well.   I have been using white lithium grease on AR detent springs and it does slow their travel across a workbench.
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 4:36:56 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Slingblade2006:
Large clear dry cleaning bags work well.   I have been using white lithium grease on AR detent springs and it does slow their travel across a workbench.
View Quote

Does white lithium grease slow down (or stop) an AR at 0ºF?
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 8:18:05 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By RareBear:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Slingblade2006:

I don't know.  It might.  I only put a dab of grease on one end of the spring.  Not cover the whole spring.  My thought is after a few hundred rounds and getting hot the grease will work itself out eventually.   After tearing a few builds apart, I have never found any grease remaining.  Maybe some slight oily residue.
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 11:47:43 AM EDT
[#7]

View Quote

Why would grease on a detent/spring stop a gun when it's cold?
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 7:53:35 PM EDT
[#8]
your screwdrive id broke
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 3:29:05 AM EDT
[Last Edit: RareBear] [#9]
Originally Posted By s4s4u:

Why would grease on a detent/spring stop a gun when it's cold?
View Quote

greases and oils do not move very well at such low temperatures.

apologies for derailing this thread.
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 9:28:17 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TGWLDR] [#10]

View Quote

Depends on which mfgr/blend. Some are rated down to 0*F, others -40* F.

Not sure it's a viable issue on things such as pins/detents/springs though.

I've always used oil so no firsthand experience.
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 10:25:22 AM EDT
[#11]

greases and oils do not move very well at such low temperatures.

apologies for derailing this thread.
View Quote

But, in what way are detents/springs involved in the "function" of the firearm?  They keep your takedown and pivot pins from falling out and that is about it.
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 10:41:07 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 1/19/2024 12:08:47 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Bebop_941:

Make sure you cover the drain😄
View Quote

Ummm...that's why I switched to a white garbage bag.
Link Posted: 1/20/2024 2:28:02 PM EDT
[#14]
I launched a HK MP5 F model firing pin spring, these are braided wire and pricey, across the garage. I saw the direction it flew but never found it. Fast forward 3 years and found the sucker in one of my boots.

Two weeks ago I was assembling a Radian Talon ambi selector and launched one of its retainer pins as I slid the lever onto the axle. Had to cannibalize a spare selector kit to finish. The very next day I tore apart the guide rod out of an AK and as I was reassembling the spring & guide rod I once again sent a part into orbit. This time it was the retainer that fits on the end of the recoil spring. So now I'm crawling around on my hands and knees searching for this damn retainer and I find the Radian pin from the day before, COOL, but I'm still looking for that damn AK spring retainer.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top