Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/1/2022 1:47:10 PM EDT
I bought this NIB in 2002 during the ban and paid a pretty penny.  Obviously the value dropped significantly after the ban ended, so I decided to try and modernize it a bit.  That was a few years ago, and pic rails aren't really a thing anymore,  And the fixed carry handle sort of limits what I can do with it as far as optics and such.  And being a pre-ban Colt, I don't want to mod it too much, or spend more money on it quite frankly.  Trying to decide if I should keep it, sell it, return it back to original configuration, etc.  I dunno, it just kind of sits these days.  What would you do?

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 1:49:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Fixed carry handle uppers of all varieties are enjoying a resurgence of popularity right now.
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 1:50:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Back to original please.
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 1:56:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Put it back the way it came.

Shoot PCC events with it
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 1:56:50 PM EDT
[#4]
That's the direction I've been leaning.  Would be kind of retro I suppose.  I have the original N/1 stock, though I did sell off the original 2 position tube.  I have the handguards and such, but can't seem to find the original charging handle

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Back to original please.
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/1/2022 1:57:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Needs a suppressor
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 1:57:57 PM EDT
[#6]
I thought about getting into some PCC, but I have three Glock mag 9mm rifles that I'd probably be more inclined to use.  

Quoted:
Put it back the way it came.

Shoot PCC events with it
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/1/2022 1:59:21 PM EDT
[#7]
You could sell that upper and buy a complete flat top upper.
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 2:06:42 PM EDT
[#8]
N1 stock & carbine HGs...
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 2:17:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 2:45:22 PM EDT
[#10]
I would enjoy that very much the way it is.
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 2:48:11 PM EDT
[#11]

+1 to this - I'd go DOE as this is the rarest most compact 9mm & perhaps fun variant.
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 3:25:10 PM EDT
[#12]
I went ahead and put most of the stock parts back on.  It has a few aftermarket items like the CH, buffer tube, buffer, and endplate, but looks stock from a distance.  I'll probably sell off the Omega X 12.0 FSP, might be worth something since they haven't been made for a while.  What do you think?

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 4:36:12 PM EDT
[#13]
My 17 yr old son has been begging for a "Vietnam era" ar-15 with the old school carry handle and smooth tri-side forearm.

I bought an LMT and offered to put a carry handle attachment. He said it's not the same.

Point is, take it back to original. It's cooler than you think.

Link Posted: 5/1/2022 4:52:05 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
My 17 yr old son has been begging for a "Vietnam era" ar-15 with the old school carry handle and smooth tri-side forearm.

I bought an LMT and offered to put a carry handle attachment. He said it's not the same.

Point is, take it back to original. It's cooler than you think.

View Quote
Absolutely.
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 5:17:07 PM EDT
[#15]

these are awesome. Maybe one day i will own one
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 5:55:17 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Back to original please.
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/1/2022 6:01:07 PM EDT
[#17]
I say it looks Much better Now!!??. I’ve owned a 6450 for 20 yrs …. LE marked restricted lower and A-3 over port…N1 stock. I ditched the clamshell and door for Retro look.   It has been a lot of fun. I’ve used it in local pcc matches The carrier is Not modified…I did put in a extended 8oz buffer and Damage Ind carbine spr…..Man just  Enjoy it

H
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 6:26:05 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I went ahead and put most of the stock parts back on.  It has a few aftermarket items like the CH, buffer tube, buffer, and endplate, but looks stock from a distance.  I'll probably sell off the Omega X 12.0 FSP, might be worth something since they haven't been made for a while.  What do you think?

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/20529/colt9mm2_jpg-2368619.JPG
View Quote

Much, Much nicer.

Link Posted: 5/1/2022 7:04:45 PM EDT
[#19]
Looks good, I'd personally sbr it and cut the barrel to the 10 ish inches the smgs were(or find a barrel). Make it a little more easy to move around and have fun with it.
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 7:08:56 PM EDT
[#20]
Put back to original

Sell on Gunbroker

Buy CMMG radial delayed blowback upper
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 11:41:55 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/20529/colt9mm2_jpg-2368619.JPG
View Quote

I like it with the stock parts.

Got my colt 9mm reciever set from a dealer posting in the EE. Guess they had a crate of mismatched hydrodipped receivers. Picked up my colt barrel, bolt and small parts from brownells. Had the magpul stuff sitting in a drawer already.

Attachment Attached File

I may put on factory furniture and a carry handle now.
Link Posted: 5/2/2022 8:30:04 AM EDT
[#22]
Looks much better back to the original setup. Other than replacing the M4 butt stock with a N1 carbine stock and butt pad, I've kept my LE Restricted 6450 configured as it came.

Link Posted: 5/18/2022 9:20:25 PM EDT
[#23]
If it is pre '94, the guys in Massachusetts could use it. To have the knotty features in MA, the lower must be pre '94. You could probably get enough for it in MA to get a CMMG RDB. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Scott
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top