Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/8/2018 10:39:16 AM EDT
I picked up a 1981 Colt SP1, and it had apparently been stored somewhere for a long time.  The furniture and internals are ok, but the upper and lower receiver have some spots of corrosion, where the original anodizing flaked off.  The barrel has speckles of tiny rust spots and pitting, not terrible but there.

Of course everyone keeps telling me to just have it carakoted and it will look "brand new"!

I am not a collector, but I am certain this is not what someone who values this rifle as a collectible would do.

I am not sure if I'll keep it or eventually trade it, but if I can improve it's condition without detracting from it's value I'm open for ideas.

Should I have the receiver re-anodized, or leave it as is? What about the rust on the barrel?

Thanks
Link Posted: 6/8/2018 10:45:50 AM EDT
[#1]
Clean it up and shoot the hell out of it  
Link Posted: 6/8/2018 10:49:21 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Clean it up and shoot the hell out of it  
View Quote
That's happening regardless!
Link Posted: 6/8/2018 11:21:10 AM EDT
[#3]
If its in other wise good shape, I'd have it reanodized. Will Colt do this?
Link Posted: 6/8/2018 11:29:31 AM EDT
[#4]
Looks perfect as is.  Refinishing will be expensive and it still won't look right no matter what you do.

Quoted:
I picked up a 1981 Colt SP1, and it had apparently been stored somewhere for a long time.  The furniture and internals are ok, but the upper and lower receiver have some spots of corrosion, where the original anodizing flaked off.  The barrel has speckles of tiny rust spots and pitting, not terrible but there.

Of course everyone keeps telling me to just have it carakoted and it will look "brand new"!

I am not a collector, but I am certain this is not what someone who values this rifle as a collectible would do.

I am not sure if I'll keep it or eventually trade it, but if I can improve it's condition without detracting from it's value I'm open for ideas.

Should I have the receiver re-anodized, or leave it as is? What about the rust on the barrel?

https://imghost.io/images/2018/06/08/IMG_0980.jpg
https://imghost.io/images/2018/06/08/IMG_0978.jpg
https://imghost.io/images/2018/06/08/IMG_0977.jpg
https://imghost.io/images/2018/06/08/IMG_0976.jpg
https://imghost.io/images/2018/06/08/IMG_0975.jpg

Thanks
View Quote
Link Posted: 6/8/2018 11:53:21 AM EDT
[#5]
Its battleworn.  Shit, some people pay extra for that.  Seriously, if it was mine, I would clean it up and shoot it.  I own a SP1 that I shoot, but I feel an obligation to take good care of it since it survived 41 years of life without any major damage.  However, if I owned your rifle it would be my new best friend.  I envy you.  I still need to find a good 20" barrel to complete my Bushmaster C7 beater with SP1 furniture.  If the rust pitting on the barrel bothers you as much as it would bother me then remove the barrel and use electrolysis to remove the rust, then maybe some fine steel wool and a good soaking in oil and she will look great.    You can use electrolysis to remove rust from any of the small parts and they will clean up nicely.  Just remove them from the rifle first.
Link Posted: 6/8/2018 12:32:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Its battleworn.  Shit, some people pay extra for that.  Seriously, if it was mine, I would clean it up and shoot it.  I own a SP1 that I shoot, but I feel an obligation to take good care of it since it survived 41 years of life without any major damage.  However, if I owned your rifle it would be my new best friend.  I envy you.  I still need to find a good 20" barrel to complete my Bushmaster C7 beater with SP1 furniture.  If the rust pitting on the barrel bothers you as much as it would bother me then remove the barrel and use electrolysis to remove the rust, then maybe some fine steel wool and a good soaking in oil and she will look great.    You can use electrolysis to remove rust from any of the small parts and they will clean up nicely.  Just remove them from the rifle first.
View Quote
JSE just got 20" pencil barrels in. Both 1/7 and 1/9 twist... $160
Link Posted: 6/8/2018 12:34:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Use some kroil oil on the barrel. Let it soak in the rust spots over night. Wipe off and repeat till no rust. Might take several days but it will remove the rust without damaging the finish.
Link Posted: 6/8/2018 11:09:15 PM EDT
[#8]
I would just try to clean up the rust spots.  Never tried kroil but that might be a good place to start.  Otherwise I wouldn't change a thing.  Any way you slice, it, I agree with you, collectors want original finish.  And I don't really get the whole, feel the need to have a perfect finish on a gun, line of thinking.  It's a tool.  It gets used.  Sometimes abused and neglected.  But clean it up and use it.  I mean I guess if it was just so yucky and pitted that it was nasty to touch. Or the stock was soaked in cat pee for 10 years and stinks like it.  Then yeah, I get that it would be better fixed up.

But what I'm seeing looks fine.   Like someone said, some people would even find it desirable.  Because to me the main thing is how does it run and shoot?
Link Posted: 6/8/2018 11:56:03 PM EDT
[#9]
I wouldn't even try to get the rust off but that's just my opinion.  I have a scratched up SP1 and love it just the way it is, the Palmetto with old USGI parts is one of my favorites too.

Link Posted: 6/9/2018 9:22:11 AM EDT
[#10]
I've used Corrosion Block on rust areas with great success.  Also have AeroKroil on hand, never thought to try it on rust, gonna give it a shot.
Link Posted: 6/9/2018 6:40:09 PM EDT
[#11]
Trade it to me.
Link Posted: 6/9/2018 9:19:41 PM EDT
[#12]
Personally, I'd leave it as is. Nothing wrong with some wear on rifle.
Link Posted: 6/12/2018 11:13:39 AM EDT
[#13]
kroil or any light oil and a brass or bronze brush

light oil and a very light application of 0000 wool will do too,

as far as the receivers,, wipe and leave them alone,,

and yes ,shoot and enjoy!
Link Posted: 6/12/2018 11:25:22 AM EDT
[#14]
Colt refinished a couple for me several years ago - looked new when came back!
Link Posted: 6/17/2018 6:10:20 PM EDT
[#15]
I read the beginning of the post and was scared to see some horrible surface of the moon looking SP1, but that's not bad at all. Just take some oil and 0000 steel wool to the barrel to knock down the active rust and love it or sell it if you want one in better shape. I'd love to snag one cheap in that shape.
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top