BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 8/1/2022 1:45:10 AM EDT
I have been out of the gun scene for over a decade now but am slowly getting the bug again so please bear with me.  The urge to start a build is becoming hard to resist.  So what have I missed in the last 12 years?  Back when I was heavily into guns the latest was LaRue came out with billet lowers most people liked them but some people here on ARFcom said that forged was better and stronger.  Back in my day it was mostly “pick whatever roll mark you like best” and you were gtg is this still the same?

The build I have in mind is a top tier SHTF / H.D. as light weight as possible so I will be using a “pencil” barrel 16” just to avoid any paperwork but I want to get ideas on which lower to start out with?  It’s been years since I’ve browsed the tech forums so let me know if there is anything to stay away from or look out for and if it’s still basically pick your favorite roll mark then who has the coolest roll mark nowadays?

Also
I came across Shield Arms and their folding lowers what does everybody think of them?  The idea seems pretty cool to have a folding AR but not if it adds significant weight or proprietary components.  How have these been received by the community?
Link Posted: 8/1/2022 1:53:57 AM EDT
[#1]
Those radian are pretty hot.
Link Posted: 8/1/2022 2:04:28 AM EDT
[#2]
knights ambi
Link Posted: 8/1/2022 2:10:21 AM EDT
[#3]
PWS MK1 MOD 2-M is very nice.
Link Posted: 8/1/2022 2:12:50 AM EDT
[#4]
Let me ad i dont need or want anything ambi im a righty and dislike anything ambi
Link Posted: 8/1/2022 3:30:15 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
The build I have in mind is a top tier SHTF / H.D. as light weight as possible
View Quote

https://www.vsevenweaponsystems.com/gun-parts/ar15-parts/ar15-lower-parts/
Link Posted: 8/1/2022 3:45:56 AM EDT
[#6]
AERO Precision
Link Posted: 8/1/2022 4:07:13 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Those radian are pretty hot.
View Quote

Yep
Link Posted: 8/1/2022 4:29:57 AM EDT
[#8]
Both Aero and Battle Arms Development have some good features.
Link Posted: 8/1/2022 4:36:30 AM EDT
[#9]
Radian
Link Posted: 8/1/2022 4:46:18 AM EDT
[#10]
seekins nx15 lowers look kinda cool but I have never had one. They were on Walking Dead if I am not mistaken a few years ago.

But they are billet as are most things that are unusual or really crisp edges or weird cuts like Spikes.

But all my lowers work about the same from garbage to higher tier.
YMMV

PS I really dont like Ambi either and have actually removed it at times with stock mil-spec.
Link Posted: 8/1/2022 5:26:42 AM EDT
[#11]
For my first ground up build from pins and springs which is still in the planning phase, this is my current front runner.

https://www.lantac-usa.com/product-page/lantac-la-n15-raven-lower-receiver
Link Posted: 8/1/2022 6:40:05 AM EDT
[#12]
I'm getting me one of those new Colt CM5's with ambi lower when they come out.
Link Posted: 8/1/2022 9:29:57 AM EDT
[#13]
those ones with the skull or helmets as the magwell are sweet. hAiL yEaH bRoThUL! LiT vAn hALeN MeLoN LaBeL
Link Posted: 8/1/2022 9:33:57 AM EDT
[#14]
LMT Mars L
Link Posted: 8/1/2022 9:54:49 AM EDT
[#15]
I hear you in regards to ambi, BUT, an ambi bolt lock/release is awesome. You can always change out the safety for a normal one (I can't stand the ambi safety)

I have two ADM lowers that are awesome.
Link Posted: 8/1/2022 10:01:01 AM EDT
[#16]
Personal preference and dependant on who one is looking impress.
Link Posted: 8/1/2022 10:10:48 AM EDT
[#17]
PSA GhostGun lower.
Link Posted: 8/1/2022 10:14:34 AM EDT
[#18]
I like the Sharps Bros crusader. Theres another company making one, but i can't remember the name.
Link Posted: 8/1/2022 10:27:56 AM EDT
[#19]
I would have said LMT MARS, which I happen to like because I shoot lefty.  But if you really don't care about ambidextrous features, no real reason to go this route.  I've had good luck with Aeroprecision and Battle Arms Development, which, depending on what you get, may come with features that make assembly a little easier.  And both sometimes have blems on sale, so you can save some money.  Honestly, I don't things have changed that much in the last ten years.  As long as it's in spec., one lower will generally work as well as another.
Link Posted: 8/1/2022 10:37:57 AM EDT
[#20]
Aero M4E1 Thunder Ranch looks like it would be pretty lightweight, and I like the M4E1 design improvements over a milspec lower.
Link Posted: 8/1/2022 10:47:47 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Let me ad i dont need or want anything ambi im a righty and dislike anything ambi
View Quote

Having a bolt catch and release on the right side of the gun as a righty makes sense.

No more finicking with moving your hands around a lot to lock the bolt back with a loaded mag or to clear a type 3.
Link Posted: 8/1/2022 10:54:01 AM EDT
[#22]
I'm a fan of Aero Precision, but I would not characterize them as top tier. They're more than good enough for most folks though.
(I will likely never afford a Noveske, KAC, Larue, LWRC or LMT.)

If you're really adamant about lightweight, you might want to take a look at a full polymer lower like the KE Arms KP-15. (Arf's parent co sells them) It seemed to do well in torture tests, and if you've been out of the scene for 10 years, you might not know these exist now.
If that's a "nah fam" and you go with a standard lower/upper, the CAR15 stock is about half the weight of the Magpul CTR.
Link Posted: 8/1/2022 10:58:19 AM EDT
[#23]
Transferable
Link Posted: 8/1/2022 12:39:46 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Transferable
View Quote

I like the cut of your jib.
Link Posted: 8/1/2022 12:50:00 PM EDT
[#25]
I don't get too spun up over lowers anymore. I have a LMT, several Aeros, and even a PSA. I just want them to be in spec without any cartoon logos like punisher skulls and other baffoonery.
Link Posted: 8/1/2022 1:08:43 PM EDT
[#26]
Buy the most expensive one and then show it off. When you start getting the "No one needs that and all they need is a..." or the "I can't buy that because of my low fixed income, so here's the cheapest one I would get that is just as cool or cooler because I saved muh monies..." comments, you'll find out that you really did buy the coolest one due to the hate you'll be receiving from the poors.

Get the Radian, it's not just because it's cool but it also has function.
Link Posted: 8/1/2022 1:13:16 PM EDT
[#27]
The cool ones have Form 1 engraving.  There are some even cooler than that...
Link Posted: 8/1/2022 1:42:41 PM EDT
[#28]
Aero M4E1 lower and upper set. They're super nice for the money
Link Posted: 8/1/2022 1:49:50 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Buy the most expensive one and then show it off. When you start getting the "No one needs that and all they need is a..." or the "I can't buy that because of my low fixed income, so here's the cheapest one I would get that is just as cool or cooler because I saved muh monies..." comments, you'll find out that you really did buy the coolest one due to the hate you'll be receiving from the poors.

View Quote

+1
Link Posted: 8/1/2022 1:54:50 PM EDT
[#30]
Radians look nice.  I like the LMT ones as well.
Link Posted: 8/1/2022 1:55:47 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

+1
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1

I should added the SOLGW FCD lower too. Put an SOLGW upper with a Wedgelock FF to index correctly using the uppers index hole, hot damn.
Link Posted: 8/1/2022 3:12:36 PM EDT
[#32]
There are a LOT of neat lowers and upper/lower combo's out there that are awesome...

but one thing that ive kinda decided on for my go to build is to get a good quality original milspec or as close as possible type lower and upper.. that way there will be as few issues as possible for anything i want to add on or use or use with my rifle compatibility wise.

That kinda falls back on get your favorite roll mark lol.

Here is my current build in process, just a mock up as barrel nut needs torqued, gas block re-installed, and muzzle device timed... and i still need a charging handle and LPVO scope.

Attachment Attached File

This one has interested me too for a weight standpoint.. its pretty much a milspec shaped lower but with some weight loss done to it.
https://www.2a-arms.com/product-p/2a-fl15-1-ps.htm
Link Posted: 8/1/2022 4:18:44 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote

There's a plan.
Link Posted: 8/1/2022 10:31:24 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
PSA GhostGun lower.
View Quote

this might be the winner the FUJB just puts it over the top
Link Posted: 8/1/2022 11:02:27 PM EDT
[#35]
Thanks for all the replies I got a lot to check out there are so many options I don’t know where to start lol.  

Couple of questions what does the designation “M4E1” mean?
How are Mega lowers thought of?  I kind of like their roll mark are they quality?

While we are at it what is considered the “best” lower parts kit?  Back in the day on previous builds I would use Colt small parts which cost way more but made me sleep well at night with one less thing to worry about.
Link Posted: 8/1/2022 11:09:18 PM EDT
[#36]
The noveske gen3 is nice with the flared magwell, but I would only suggest it if you’re going to do a matches upper and lower. But honestly a lower just holds your trigger. It doesn’t matter if it’s spikes, psa, or colt when talking about forged. As long as it’s in spec.
Link Posted: 8/1/2022 11:15:25 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Thanks for all the replies I got a lot to check out there are so many options I don’t know where to start lol.  

How are Mega lowers thought of?  I kind of like their roll mark are they quality?

While we are at it what is considered the “best” lower parts kit?  Back in the day on previous builds I would use Colt small parts which cost way more but made me sleep well at night with one less thing to worry about.
View Quote

Mega is good to go. Colt is still good to go on the LPK, Arms Unlimited has them in stock minus the FCG. Other good options would be SOLGW, Geissele, or Sionics.
Link Posted: 8/1/2022 11:16:00 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote

Shop at Larue or Geissele for a trigger. Larue MTS's are in stock as of right now and my order from yesterday for an ACOG mount and a trigger just today TODAY. Green is live inventory. The shop at Forward Controls Design for the rest of your lower needs. For Furniture, Magpul. Done.
Link Posted: 8/1/2022 11:29:07 PM EDT
[#39]
SLR Rifleworks has some unique receivers.

https://slrrifleworks.com/slr-b15-ambi-billet-receiver-set/
Link Posted: 8/2/2022 12:23:14 AM EDT
[#40]
A registered three pin

If you like ambi stuff LWRC, LMT, Radian, FCD/Sons are all pretty sweet.

The nicest "normal" lowers I've seen are V Seven, Mega, and Noveske G1. Flawless fit/finish.
Link Posted: 8/2/2022 1:00:37 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Mega is good to go. Colt is still good to go on the LPK, Arms Unlimited has them in stock minus the FCG. Other good options would be SOLGW, Geissele, or Sionics.
View Quote

Thanks for the tip I was planning on going with a Geissele trigger so a LPK without the FCG works perfect for me
Link Posted: 8/2/2022 8:12:47 AM EDT
[#42]
Any quality forged lower. SOLGW, BCM, Colt, Centurion, Aero, Spikes, etc.. I like low shelf myself. I think BCM lowers are really nice
Link Posted: 8/2/2022 10:37:59 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
The cool ones have Form 1 engraving.  There are some even cooler than that...
View Quote

This. All this.
Link Posted: 8/3/2022 10:22:49 AM EDT
[#44]

Link Posted: 8/3/2022 10:43:26 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 8/3/2022 10:55:57 AM EDT
[#46]
Noveske Gen II (in foliage gun kote )
LMT Mars and Defender complete lowers
KAC

ETA: The Geissele and Ripcord lowers have some neat color anodizing options.
Link Posted: 8/3/2022 11:44:13 AM EDT
[#47]
SLR..

Link Posted: 8/3/2022 12:28:52 PM EDT
[#48]
As long as it's a respected maker get which ever one appeals to you the most.
Link Posted: 8/3/2022 2:34:21 PM EDT
[#49]
Radian in OD green.

SOLGW Scalper

Geissele in DDC
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top