BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/23/2021 1:14:48 PM EDT
After two+ decades in the Corps all I used was good ol CLP! Now I have so many cleaning products that I try to pick a different one everytime I do a thorough cleaning. Since I've been running Amsoil in my Cummins Diesel for equally as long I thought I'd give their Cleaner & Lube a shot. As promised it works great! No doubt many of you live by the Motor Oil creed too!

We've all seen the commercials somewhere and I'm a bit surprised they don't use Amazon to help move their products. Can anyone here attest to their claims?

Name your Go-To Cleaning & Lubricants!

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/23/2021 2:32:56 PM EDT
[#1]
I like Slip2000 EWL and 725 cleaner. I'm sure the Amsoil is great, they make excellent engine oil
Link Posted: 9/23/2021 4:46:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Boretech eliminator and Royal Purple Straight 30 weight.  I'm open to try another combination as life is too short
Link Posted: 9/23/2021 8:17:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Boretech eliminator and Royal Purple Straight 30 weight.  I'm open to try another combination as life is too short
View Quote

That's cool as hell man! I used Royal Purple in my Lexus RCF for a few oil changes before going back to Mobil 1 Full Synthetic. To be honest, I've never given thought to using Motor Oil with all the options out there. CLP is always the fallback fluid in the end.
Link Posted: 9/23/2021 8:42:39 PM EDT
[#4]
I think I've finally standardized on Lucas Extreme Duty oil and Slip 2000 725 Cleaner and Degreaser

I'll always love Breakfree CLP though
Link Posted: 9/24/2021 7:32:12 AM EDT
[#5]
The power of Dawn and hot water.  

Lube now Nissan CVT trans fluid as that car is gone.
Link Posted: 9/24/2021 12:34:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
The power of Dawn and hot water.  
Lube now Nissan CVT trans fluid as that car is gone.
View Quote

WOW! Now that is OLD SCHOOL for sure! Actually, I recall our D.Is in Boot Camp having 55 gallon drums of boiling water over fires and they used to hang our Uppers in it off the Front Sight Post after cleaning them with CLP. I still use the hot water trick but never Dishwashing Soap!
Link Posted: 9/24/2021 3:56:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Hoppes #9, Cherrybalmz
Link Posted: 9/24/2021 4:19:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Hoppes #9, Cherrybalmz
View Quote

Keep reading about this Cherrybalmz stuff. Is THIS the Company you speak of?
Link Posted: 10/1/2021 11:57:33 PM EDT
[#9]
That is them, yes.

https://www.cherrybalmz.com/

You can get a bottle for $0.01 + shipping to try out.
Link Posted: 10/2/2021 6:03:01 AM EDT
[#10]
Used Hoppe#9 and 3n1 oil for 20 or 30 years.  Still use 3n1 oil sometimes.

Still use Hoppes#9 all the time.  If I think it needs "more" I use Bore Tech Eliminator on it and usually get "more" out of the barrel.

The lube I use most these days is Mobil 1 (the left overs from oil/filter changes on the vehicles.)  

After an oil change I set the 5 gt and 1 qt jugs up against the garage wall at an angle and let whatever is left in the jub accumulate in the front bottom corner for a few days.  Then I pick it up, remove the cap and pour into a 1 qt. jug that stores the Mobil 1 till I need to refill one of the little GI oil bottles that came in the GI cleaning kits.  At one time I had enough left over oil to supply the kids with it, too.  I'm down to two cars I change oil in now so I shouldn't have as much left overs as in the past.

No complaints about Mobil 1 (or 3n1 oil).
Link Posted: 10/2/2021 7:41:01 AM EDT
[#11]
-Boretech Cu++
-Royal purple gun oil (almost out. Have a can of CLP so may switch to that)
-Lubriplate white grease or Mobile One red grease on the cam pin and lugs

Link Posted: 10/2/2021 8:00:26 AM EDT
[#12]
Another vote for Motor Oil.. I really should've made this a Poll Question.
Link Posted: 10/2/2021 8:29:49 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 10/5/2021 8:07:51 PM EDT
[#14]
First I use Hoppe's #9, if that doesn't get it then Butch's Bore Shine. Last resort is Rem Bore Cleaner.

Butch's usually does the trick, but the smell is pretty strong inside.

I lube with CLP and Black Swan high temp plumbers grease.

Link Posted: 10/9/2021 8:17:03 AM EDT
[#15]
It's just Ballistol.
Link Posted: 10/9/2021 10:38:08 AM EDT
[#16]
I clean with Jet-A in the parts washer, hose out with brake cleaner, lube with Slip 2K.

Friends don’t let friends run Amsoil or Lucas.
Link Posted: 10/9/2021 1:25:25 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I clean with Jet-A in the parts washer, hose out with brake cleaner, lube with Slip 2K. Friends don’t let friends run Amsoil or Lucas.
View Quote

LMFAO! Does that mean we're not friends then?
Link Posted: 10/9/2021 4:25:44 PM EDT
[#18]
Slip 2000

Wilson Combat

And a CLP called Safari Charlie, made locally to me...

These three keeps my toys lubed and rolling

Link Posted: 10/9/2021 5:24:46 PM EDT
[#19]
Just and old Hoppes 9 fan for solvent and cleaning then Break free clp for lube. Lubed before use also.
Link Posted: 10/9/2021 7:29:44 PM EDT
[#20]
[Deleted]
Link Posted: 10/10/2021 7:33:30 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
No, but don’t buy into Amsoil or Lucas marketing.
View Quote

Listen, I've been using Amsoil in my Cummins for DECADES and have not had any issues on parts which are treated by Amsoil products. I attribute this to the scientific data behind their oils and fluids. As an Amsoil Preferred Member my purchases are greatly discounted and I snagged a BOGO on their gun stuff.

Call it drinking the Kool Aid, Snake Oil or hyped marketing but unless you've experienced major damage due to their products there is no reason to advise anyone what NOT to use. As you can see, we all use whatever works best for us. Appreciate the thought..
Link Posted: 10/10/2021 11:30:15 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

No, but don’t buy into Amsoil or Lucas marketing.
View Quote

The Lucas gun oil works very well.
Link Posted: 10/10/2021 11:43:28 AM EDT
[#23]
[Deleted]
Link Posted: 10/10/2021 12:06:05 PM EDT
[#24]
Never liked Lucas shit myself either. Here I thought we were discussing "Gun Maintenance" products and not Engine Oil? I think this topic is a closed book now, ok Sam?
Link Posted: 10/10/2021 2:06:45 PM EDT
[#25]
[Deleted]
Link Posted: 10/12/2021 6:13:25 AM EDT
[#26]
SMH....
Link Posted: 10/12/2021 7:44:36 PM EDT
[#27]
I like the idea of diesel detergent additives in full synthetic motor oil in certain engines - turbo diesels and high horsepower turbo gas engines.  These are rich running direct injection applications with internal rotating parts and bearing surfaces exposed to high heat.  The additives help prevent carbon build-up.

For that reason such oils work well on our dirty running high carbon direct impingement ARs.  Shell Rotella T6 is my choice for lube.  One quart may last me a lifetime.

For cleaning in general CLP continues to serve well.

For bore cleaning its Butch's Bore Shine and for copper removal, Barnes CR10.  These products are often recommended by precision/match barrel makers and work well for rack grade barrels as well.
Link Posted: 10/15/2021 10:17:50 PM EDT
[#28]
I have good luck with BreakFree CLP for breaking up the buildup, or cleaning up the chamber and barrel. After that I use oil in some areas, and TW25B in others.
Link Posted: 10/16/2021 4:08:08 AM EDT
[#29]
Corrosion-X is the best CLP I have ever tried.

Weaponshield is quite good too and is probably my second choice.

Bore-tech eliminator for bore cleaning.
Link Posted: 10/16/2021 7:34:50 AM EDT
[#30]
Maltby's Penatrent Oil
Superlube
Superlube + Moly
Link Posted: 10/24/2021 12:36:36 AM EDT
[#31]
Clenzoil great stuff.
https://clenzoil.com/
Link Posted: 10/24/2021 4:23:01 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Clenzoil great stuff.
https://clenzoil.com/
View Quote

Interesting. Seems to be a well reviewed brand and they're Veteran owned as well. Thinking I may give this a shot. Thanks Hardcore! You happen to be an 0321?
Link Posted: 10/24/2021 9:28:40 AM EDT
[#33]
Nope. Was ARMY 82nd ABN INF.
Link Posted: 10/24/2021 11:03:01 AM EDT
[#34]
Mobil 1 full synthetic love it.
Link Posted: 10/24/2021 1:57:54 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Nope. Was ARMY 82nd ABN INF.
View Quote

"Beat your boots!!" right? ....
Link Posted: 10/24/2021 4:52:16 PM EDT
[#36]
You got it!
Link Posted: 10/30/2021 1:24:52 AM EDT
[#37]
CLP for cleaning and Mobil 1 synthetic wheel bearing grease for lubrication.
Link Posted: 10/30/2021 2:25:37 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 10/30/2021 12:28:59 PM EDT
[#39]
Hoppes #9, Mobile 1

Sometimes carb cleaner spray on gunky stuff.
Link Posted: 10/30/2021 10:49:48 PM EDT
[#40]
Ed’s Red for cleaning and Mobil 1 synthetic for lube.

When I need to get the copper our or a real deep cleaning it’s Wipe Out followed by Mobil 1 synthetic for lube.
Link Posted: 10/30/2021 10:52:20 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Ed’s Red for cleaning and Mobil 1 synthetic for lube.
When I need to get the copper our or a real deep cleaning it’s Wipe Out followed by Mobil 1 synthetic for lube.
View Quote

Another Mobil 1 fan. Nice. Need to see some of this "Wipe Out" now!
Link Posted: 10/31/2021 9:19:08 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 10/31/2021 9:35:20 AM EDT
[#43]
Awhile back I posted a thread on the "Natural" product Frog Lube and how brutally it gummed up members weapons with its wax like properties. Sure it smells good but why would anyone want to use such nonsense on something you really must have in a fully operational status?

Edit: Figured I'd give Shooters Lube a shot since they have Free Shipping now and and a small kit is only $17. Like my Cryptic Coating BCG I thought I'd see what all the hype is about. They sure do push alot of "one time" offer bundles before even processing payment!
Attachment Attached File
c
Link Posted: 10/31/2021 8:28:59 PM EDT
[#44]
I've been using M-PRO7 for years.  I like it, works well for me.
Link Posted: 11/1/2021 11:56:08 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I've been using M-PRO7 for years.  I like it, works well for me.
View Quote

I actually keep a bottle of their oil in my range bag. It has a nice tight sealing top on it with precision dispenser.
Link Posted: 11/3/2021 8:51:04 AM EDT
[#46]
Here is the short list since around 2010. Slip2000 (and the EWL). Cherry balmz (black rifle balm and field balm). Springco machine gunners lube. And as of yesterday, Lucas gun lube.

I am already a little iffy about the Lucas lube. I used it to lube my staccato P. It leaks out of everywhere. I mean it, everywhere. It doesn't seem to stay in place as well as others. Will test further this week.

Sprinco MGL is awesome so far. I have been using it on my staccato until the Lucas experiment. I will most likely go back. For handguns, the springco lube is my favorite so far.

Cherry Balmz is ONLY used on my suppressed rifles. No motor oil, no typical lubes, etc. This shit is magic for suppressed shooting.

Slip2000 was used for everything of mine from 2010 until about 2ish years ago. It's great. I do not like using it to oil parkarized barrels and guns. It dries under air and turns orange like rust. It wipes off, but it makes me paranoid. I may clean a barrel or two this afternoon and try the Lucas oil because it I want to see if it can fill the pores and help fight the humidity of Ohio. A lot of companies claim 'nano technology to get in every corner', the Lucas oil actually makes me believe that claim(even though that is an initial impression).

To add while typing this. I ran upstairs to grab the staccato. Just pulled the slide back a couple times. Still smooth, but there is some metal on metal noise. (taking it apart as I type this) Just as I thought. It is not dry, but a ton of it is missing from the rails where I liberally applied it. I love the Lucas brass cleaner for reloading, but the lube is far too thin for tight tolerances.Not the right way to word it. It is very viscous, and will seep out of any crack. I just wiped the Staccato down and put the Springco lube back on. I like testing stuff, but so far, the Springco stuff is great.
Link Posted: 11/9/2021 3:50:44 PM EDT
[#47]
They do a decent job of packaging the Shooters Lube with signed card and all. Broke out 2 dirty ass weapons and put it to the test. Cleaner worked ok I guess and the oil is just that....oil.

What totally blew my mind was that just one drop of it on my new Cryptic Coating BCG literally made it fly out of my hand!
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/9/2021 9:06:20 PM EDT
[#48]
Note: Absolutely had to drop a pin.
Link Posted: 11/12/2021 2:51:35 AM EDT
[#49]
Mpro-7 for cleaning. Hoppes when it's something really crusty an I'm being lazy so I just toss the part in a jar of Hoppes and leave it for a few hours or the next day. Hoppes #9 (orange label) also removes some light copper fouling. For heavy copper I use Sweets 7.62.
I used to use Break Free Foaming Bore Cleaner for the bore but since it's been discontinued I go to Mpro-7 for most cleaning.

I've started using Breakthrough's Battle Born HP Pro oil and grease. I was using Tetra for years, but if it sits too long it seems to thicken or the grease dries out.
Link Posted: 11/13/2021 12:29:30 AM EDT
[#50]
Milcomm mc2500 has been great for me so far. Does not burn off easily and slick as hell on all my guns.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top