Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/30/2022 6:15:07 PM EDT
I am looking to change some things up on my rifles. Mainly my bullpup rifles. I want something that is rugged and will take a beating and keep on going. I am on a bit of a budget and my price range is $400 - $500. The two rifles that I am switching up are a Steyr Aug and a Tavor Sar. The Aug has a Holosun HS515GM on it now (great optic but I'm moving that one to an AR) and my Tavor Sar has a Meprolight M21 (another great optic rugged optic). I am looking at not adding a lot of weight to my rifles. I had a stroke a few years ago that left me with muscle weakness that will not be returning. Its why I run bullpups. I don't get muscle fatigue like I do with other rifles.

What I have been looking at so far -

Trijicon MRO - Own one now for my x95. I really like this sight. The field of view is great. The only down side for me is my eyes. The dot is a big fuzzy due to my astigmatism.

Holosun AEMS - I really like this optic. Seems like it would have a great field of view.

Aimpoint Duty - I know very little about this optic. The videos that I've watched, some reviewers are not that impressed. I'm kind of leaning to the not impressed. Give me your thoughts on this optic.

EoTech XSP2 - This one is on sale with a code that I can squeeze into my budget. I know very little about it and I am doing some video research now.

Primary Arms GLx 2X - Great sight. My eyes work well with it. I am very tempted to get more but I have not used the sight enough to know weather or not I would like it long term.

With everything that I have posted above, I am open to suggestions. Or tell me what one from my list would you pick. I would like an optic with the best battery life that I can get too. Thanks everyone.

Link Posted: 6/30/2022 7:11:44 PM EDT
[#1]
The duty is really nice for the $ but if the mro is blurry for you I think you will have the same problem. Have you looked at the PA micro prisms? I have a 3x and I like it a lot. They also do a 1x and you can get a 3x micro magnifier. Eye relief on the 3x is kinda short and I don't know how that plays with a bullpup. I like my eotech but if you don't shoot at night I don't think the juice is worth the squeeze.
Link Posted: 6/30/2022 7:40:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The duty is really nice for the $ but if the mro is blurry for you I think you will have the same problem. Have you looked at the PA micro prisms? I have a 3x and I like it a lot. They also do a 1x and you can get a 3x micro magnifier. Eye relief on the 3x is kinda short and I don't know how that plays with a bullpup. I like my eotech but if you don't shoot at night I don't think the juice is worth the squeeze.
View Quote

I have been looking at the PA 1x and 3x. I really like the GLx 2x but I need more time with it. The MRO, it’s funny, at times is fuzzy and other times it’s not. Holosun dots seem to be crisp with astigmatism. I also have the starting of cataracts now too. So not sure if some of it is due to that.

I do not shoot at night. No night vision.

The Duty I was excited about but then the reviews just made me not excited about it. Buying two optics with a budget for each optic makes it tough. I’ll look at the PA optics a bit more.

Bullpups to me are like the AR when you set an optic on it. Basically around the same area is where you’ll place them.  
Link Posted: 6/30/2022 8:59:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I have been looking at the PA 1x and 3x. I really like the GLx 2x but I need more time with it. The MRO, it’s funny, at times is fuzzy and other times it’s not. Holosun dots seem to be crisp with astigmatism. I also have the starting of cataracts now too. So not sure if some of it is due to that.

The Duty I was excited about but then the reviews just made me not excited about it. Buying two optics with a budget for each optic makes it tough. I’ll look at the PA optics a bit more.

Bullpups to me are like the AR when you set an optic on it. Basically around the same area is where you’ll place them.  
View Quote

I don't follow reviews much  so I don't know what people are saying about the duty. I have a duty and a t2 and consider them interchangeable. The duty might even be more durable due to not having the illumination knob. Haven't tried it at night but that's not a factor for you. It's a high quality optic right up there with a t2/acog/rmr.

I've been impressed with the PA micro 3x. Seems like a very simple durable design and it's so tiny and light it's ridiculous. Illumination isn't quite aimpoint
bright but I'd put it at daylight visible+. Bright enough that it makes both eyes open shooting easy in most conditions. The glass is good enough for what it is. The illumination knob sucks and there's no off between settings but it's a 300$ optic so you can't have everything. I'm trying to convince myself it's durable enough to be a primary optic.

Basically duty if you don't need magnification. I got mine at europtic for 480 with free shipping and there's been better deals out there. Comes with a 1.5" mount and if you want it taller just throw a cheap riser under it.
Link Posted: 6/30/2022 9:23:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I don't follow reviews much  so I don't know what people are saying about the duty. I have a duty and a t2 and consider them interchangeable. The duty might even be more durable due to not having the illumination knob. Haven't tried it at night but that's not a factor for you. It's a high quality optic right up there with a t2/acog/rmr.

I've been impressed with the PA micro 3x. Seems like a very simple durable design and it's so tiny and light it's ridiculous. Illumination isn't quite aimpoint
bright but I'd put it at daylight visible+. Bright enough that it makes both eyes open shooting easy in most conditions. The glass is good enough for what it is. The illumination knob sucks and there's no off between settings but it's a 300$ optic so you can't have everything. I'm trying to convince myself it's durable enough to be a primary optic.

Basically duty if you don't need magnification. I got mine at europtic for 480 with free shipping and there's been better deals out there. Comes with a 1.5" mount and if you want it taller just throw a cheap riser under it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

We are in the same boat when it comes to durability of the PA optics. I keep trying to tell myself that the GLx 2x will be a tough rugged optic that will survive the abuse. Not that I'm abusing my stuff, but you just never know what might happen. I also want to eventually take some classes that will abuse my stuff.

I will dig deeper into the Duty. I think I'm running optics at lower 1/3 on my bullpups. Its been so long since I bought a mount that I can't remember. The GLx 2x comes with spacers/risers that I need to bump up a bit higher than the one that comes on it. Its geared to go onto an AR I believe.
Link Posted: 7/1/2022 8:08:44 AM EDT
[#5]
I have only used a couple of Sig red dots, a Leupold CQT,, and an EoTech.  With my minor astigmatism, the EoTech is the clearest.
Link Posted: 7/1/2022 9:43:52 AM EDT
[#6]
I just picked up a Vortex UH-1 gen 2 - it seems well built. It was $509 otd so pretty close to your budget too.

https://vortexoptics.com/vortex-amg-uh1-gen2-holographic-sight.html

Link Posted: 7/1/2022 10:55:48 AM EDT
[#7]
AimPoint or bust.  I have an astigmatism and see a slight starburst, but still choose the AimPoint because it's bulletproof and has excellent battery life.  I tried EOTech, but quickly grew tired of changing batteries. I have some Holosuns that are fine back up sights, but I don't trust them as a primary optic. Skip the MRO, it has way too much parallax error to be trustworthy in a serious role.

I'd go AimPoint for anything I plan to trust my life to, especially if ruggedness is top priority.
Link Posted: 7/1/2022 11:07:00 AM EDT
[#8]
EXPS3-0

Recently went back to EOTech from Aimpoint due to astigmatism. To me the benefits outweigh the battery life issue.
Dot is much crisper for me and 1moa so also more accurate.
Clearer glass, no parallax. Also prefer the larger window compared to my T2 even with both eyes open.
I change the battery first of the month. Not really an issue for me.
Link Posted: 7/1/2022 1:20:04 PM EDT
[#9]

I have been looking at this optic since it was released a few years ago. I love the look. How is the battery life?

I kept looking at this one and Holosun 510c and 512c.
Link Posted: 7/1/2022 1:21:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I have only used a couple of Sig red dots, a Leupold CQT,, and an EoTech.  With my minor astigmatism, the EoTech is the clearest.
View Quote

That’s what I’ve been told. Eotech is clear with astigmatism. I wish battery life was better. I’m not sure if battery life is my insecurity or a valid worry.
Link Posted: 7/1/2022 1:23:10 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
AimPoint or bust.  I have an astigmatism and see a slight starburst, but still choose the AimPoint because it's bulletproof and has excellent battery life.  I tried EOTech, but quickly grew tired of changing batteries. I have some Holosuns that are fine back up sights, but I don't trust them as a primary optic. Skip the MRO, it has way too much parallax error to be trustworthy in a serious role.

I'd go AimPoint for anything I plan to trust my life to, especially if ruggedness is top priority.
View Quote

I do like the Aimpoint Duty over the Pro. I can’t remember how much weight difference there is between them. I’m still doing some research on the Duty. I do like my Trijicon MRO but I get what you’re saying.
Link Posted: 7/1/2022 1:25:26 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
EXPS3-0

Recently went back to EOTech from Aimpoint due to astigmatism. To me the benefits outweigh the battery life issue.
Clearer glass, no parallax. Also prefer the larger window compared to my T2 even with both eyes open.
View Quote

I too like the big window. It’s the reason I am looking at Holosun AEMS. I like Eotech just not the battery life. Maybe I just need to overcome that and just remember to check the battery and change it. Another problem after the stroke. Memory loss.
Link Posted: 7/1/2022 2:18:08 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I too like the big window. It’s the reason I am looking at Holosun AEMS. I like Eotech just not the battery life. Maybe I just need to overcome that and just remember to check the battery and change it. Another problem after the stroke. Memory loss.
View Quote

I have an exps3 and haven't found battery life an issue. I just turn it off when not using it. Tapping either up or down on illumination turns it on. It has auto off after 4 or 8 hours or whatever. I change the battery every once in awhile and have never had it go dead. It's quite a bit heavier than an aimpoint and I'd think just by the nature of the design not as durable.

It's a good optic it just has its strengths and weaknesses. For specific uses like shooting at night or with a magnifier it's the best thing going. Also supposedly isn't effected by astigmatism but I can't confirm that personally.
Link Posted: 7/1/2022 3:30:22 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Also supposedly isn't effected by astigmatism but I can't confirm that personally.
View Quote

My astigmatism makes the AimPoint look a little like a starburst - but it's very usable - maybe it looks like 3-4 MOA instead of 2 MOA.  But the EOTech definitely was much more crisp to my eyes.  Still, I prefer the AimPoint for its always on, "ready to go" capability.  Since I'm not using this sight for precision, I'm ok with the starburst.  For others that might be trying to shoot more precisely, the 1 MOA EOTech may have some benefits.

For what it's worth, every person's eyes are different, and no two eyes (or astigmatisms) will see the dots the same way.  Best to view them first hand and decide what works best.
Link Posted: 7/1/2022 6:54:28 PM EDT
[#15]
Thanks everyone. I'm still doing research and the two optics I keep going back to are the Trijicon MRO and Holosun AEMS, but the Aimpoint Duty, Eotech XPS2 and the Vortex UH-1 are kind of pushing those two optics out of the way. It also made me think about the Holosun 510c and 512c. The only reason I went back to the MRO is because I know the dot and I like it and I know its a love or hate it RDS. Its a fuzzy sight for me but my eyes pick it up quick. I would kind of like to go to a holographic sight. I'm just not sure I can afford what I want, at least not right now. I just sold a Sig Romeo 5 and if I can sell my Meprolight M21 I may have a better budget. Its a big hit buying two RDS at once. Maybe I'll buy one and then wait a few months until Christmas and see what turns up.

Please keep the feedback and suggestions coming.

One more thing, what about the Meprolight V2 Pro?
Link Posted: 7/1/2022 9:30:53 PM EDT
[#16]
Considering the price range you're in, maybe the Sig Romeo4T should also be considered.  It's not like the other Romeos.  The 4T is assmebled in the USA, the housing AND mount are 7075 T6, the mounting screw holes in the body have steel inserts and it has an IPX8 water resistance rating.  I bought mine shortly after the FBI (I think) adopted them and mine has seen many thousands of rounds and I've never had a problem with it.  In fact, I don't think I've ever even changed the battery in it.

Before I bought it, I compared it to the MRO and sent the MRO back.  What I really like about the 4T is that two of the reticles have hold overs for use with a magnifier.  The bottom hold over is perfect as an aiming point for height over bore compensation for up close stuff.  I've seen them going in the $400 to $500 range.  It also came with solid and see through flip ups, a bikini cover and kill flash.
Link Posted: 7/2/2022 2:42:53 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Considering the price range you're in, maybe the Sig Romeo4T should also be considered.  It's not like the other Romeos.  The 4T is assmebled in the USA, the housing AND mount are 7075 T6, the mounting screw holes in the body have steel inserts and it has an IPX8 water resistance rating.  I bought mine shortly after the FBI (I think) adopted them and mine has seen many thousands of rounds and I've never had a problem with it.  In fact, I don't think I've ever even changed the battery in it.

Before I bought it, I compared it to the MRO and sent the MRO back.  What I really like about the 4T is that two of the reticles have hold overs for use with a magnifier.  The bottom hold over is perfect as an aiming point for height over bore compensation for up close stuff.  I've seen them going in the $400 to $500 range.  It also came with solid and see through flip ups, a bikini cover and kill flash.
View Quote

I have looked at the 4T before. Its a really nice optic. I did not know the FBI adopted it.

Isn’t there a 4 and 4T? What are the differences of them?
Link Posted: 7/29/2022 10:48:44 AM EDT
[#18]
Check out the Primary Arms SLX Cyclops Gen 2.  They’re outstanding.
Link Posted: 7/29/2022 10:54:06 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Check out the Primary Arms SLX Cyclops Gen 2.  They’re outstanding.
View Quote

They are nice. I’ve got a GLx 2x and I’m having trouble with magnification since my stroke a few years ago. My eyes don’t want to adjust to them.
Link Posted: 7/29/2022 11:32:40 AM EDT
[#20]
I went GLX 2x on my AUG and I really like it.  I did seriously consider the AEMS though. I like the GLX 2x over a red dot for anything beyond CQB distances.  I do still prefer a red dot over anything for that.

Athough it isn't new tech, I really like my Aimpoint PROs.  I have two of them and they are just solid.  I prefer them over the micro dots really.

Link Posted: 7/29/2022 1:12:26 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I went GLX 2x on my AUG and I really like it.  I did seriously consider the AEMS though. I like the GLX 2x over a red dot for anything beyond CQB distances.  I do still prefer a red dot over anything for that.

Athough it isn't new tech, I really like my Aimpoint PROs.  I have two of them and they are just solid.  I prefer them over the micro dots really.

https://i.imgur.com/Ydewfe6.jpg
View Quote

That is what I have on my Aug. Since the stroke I had a couple of years ago my eyes don't seem to adjust to magnification. I have been shouldering my Aug with this optic and my eye is starting to pick it up. Maybe I just need to keep doing that until my eyes adjust to it. It is a great optic. Its built like a tank.
Link Posted: 7/29/2022 6:21:33 PM EDT
[#22]
I just picked up a Meprolight Mepro RDS Pro V2 with the green bullseye at Botach. It was on sale for $399.99 plus tax and free shipping. It came to $421.18. Optics Planet wouldn't match the price. I came close to ordering an Eotech EXPS3-0 and passed on it and its now out of stock. I also came close to ordering the EXPS2-0 but passed on it too. I think the features and optics and battery life of the Mepro RDS Pro V2 is the better deal. I'm happy with this purchase.
Link Posted: 7/30/2022 5:28:16 PM EDT
[#23]
Just curious why would anyone pay 500 hundred for a holosun , vortex, etc when you can get a aimpoint, eotech……. For that money !!??
Link Posted: 7/30/2022 8:06:17 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Just curious why would anyone pay 500 hundred for a holosun , vortex, etc when you can get a aimpoint, eotech……. For that money !!??
View Quote

I have actually found the AEMS on sale for $346 plus shipping. I won't pay anymore than that for one. I like Holosun but when you get to that price range of $499 I think there are better options . . . Maybe. It just depends on needs I guess. I do like the big open box of it.
Link Posted: 7/31/2022 10:21:45 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Just curious why would anyone pay 500 hundred for a holosun , vortex, etc when you can get a aimpoint, eotech  . For that money !!??
View Quote
What does the eotech have going for it that the Vortex does not?
Link Posted: 7/31/2022 11:28:43 PM EDT
[#26]
these seem interesting but just too expensive for a holosun. for $50 more or less you can get a clean used eotech EXPS-3 or could easily get a EXPS2 for the same or less.
Link Posted: 8/1/2022 1:49:01 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
these seem interesting but just too expensive for a holosun. for $50 more or less you can get a clean used eotech EXPS-3 or could easily get a EXPS2 for the same or less.
View Quote

PSA has the EXPS3-0 for $499 right now

PSA EXPS3-0
Link Posted: 8/1/2022 10:30:14 PM EDT
[#28]
OP, if you have the opportunity to look through some of these before buying one, I’d strongly encourage it. I used to make fun of some optics manufacturers, until I was able to look through some and not need glasses to see an actual reticle instead of a grape cluster, comet, or blob.
Link Posted: 8/1/2022 10:34:28 PM EDT
[#29]
The EoTech for your astigmatism
Link Posted: 8/2/2022 12:45:57 AM EDT
[#30]
Thanks everyone. I passed up on getting an Eotech EXPS3-0 and the XPS2 (I think I’ve got the number right) and went with a Meprolight RDS Pro V2. I got the bullseye version with a green reticle. I think I’m going to be very happy with it. I still may pick up an Eotech. That PA sale is really good. They’re sold out again but I’m sure they’ll get more in. I will keep everyone posted.

Oh, someone said go to a local shop to test them out, none of my shops keep high end optics on hand. It’s sad. I asked why and most said they can’t sit on the inventory like that.
Link Posted: 8/2/2022 12:18:50 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
EXPS3-0

View Quote

All excellent points. My XPS2 was definitely more clear than the AimPoint in regards to my astigmatism, and the parallax free view through that big window was awesome.

My life is pretty hectic as a new parent and I don't have as much time as I'd like to train & check batteries, so the worry free operation of the AimPoint appealed to me.  I change batteries once a year and am good to go.  The EOTech optics are fantastic choices for those who are more diligent than I am.  I hope to get another one day, but for now the AimPoint gets the job done.
Link Posted: 8/2/2022 3:11:59 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

All excellent points. My XPS2 was definitely more clear than the AimPoint in regards to my astigmatism, and the parallax free view through that big window was awesome.

My life is pretty hectic as a new parent and I don't have as much time as I'd like to train & check batteries, so the worry free operation of the AimPoint appealed to me.  I change batteries once a year and am good to go.  The EOTech optics are fantastic choices for those who are more diligent than I am.  I hope to get another one day, but for now the AimPoint gets the job done.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
EXPS3-0

I find Eotechs to be a pixelated mess. Unusable.

Eyes are strange.
Link Posted: 8/2/2022 4:10:46 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Eyes are strange.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
EXPS3-0

Eyes are strange.

I have read that a lot about their reticle and the responses are always the same. Both eyes open and look through and past it. I’m guessing it clears up then. I’ve never used an Eotech or holographic sight.
Link Posted: 8/2/2022 4:52:47 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

I have read that a lot about their reticle and the responses are always the same. Both eyes open and look through and past it. I’m guessing it clears up then. I’ve never used an Eotech or holographic sight.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
EXPS3-0

Eyes are strange.

My EoTech reticle would turn into a starburst without my glasses. I am switching to LPVO's because of this. My stiener dot is much crisper without my glasses. And the optic can be used with just the reticle
Link Posted: 8/2/2022 7:38:59 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote

That's pretty much where I'm at.
Link Posted: 8/3/2022 8:08:25 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote

I have a mild astigmatism.  Without glasses all Eotech type sights look like a exploded cluster of lights.  With my glasses on, the Eotech is still splotchy.  I just don’t like them at all.  Some sights from Holosun look great and the Meprolight RDS look fantastic.  I have one and it’s one of my favorite RDS sights.  Even without my glasses on, the Meprolight still looks mostly like a dot.  I think it is a very underrated RDS that does not get as much love as it should.  

I have moved over to more LPVO’s and they all look fantastic.
Link Posted: 8/3/2022 8:12:36 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
EXPS3-0

View Quote

I want to like Aimpoint but this is a big reason I still use Eotechs
Link Posted: 8/3/2022 1:16:46 PM EDT
[#38]
I have an astigmatism and the aimpoint dots are a little fuzzy but not bad, I think they are better than the MROs I was using. I finally got to look through an eotech a couple weeks ago and the reticle was really crisp. I'd still take the aimpoint over anything other electronic sight because they have such a good track record.

My opinion is to keep the better of the two optics you have and combine the budget for both into a T2 and a good mount then save for an identical one down the road. The H2 would be a great choice also if you don't plan on using night vision or diving with it and you'd save some money over the T2. I have both and they are great.
Link Posted: 8/3/2022 7:53:33 PM EDT
[#39]
I went with a Meprolight RDS PRO V2. It should be in this Friday. I went with the green reticle and I'm excited to get it in and see what it is like. I will keep everyone posted. I may sell my MRO and get another Pro V2.
Link Posted: 8/5/2022 9:24:29 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
EXPS3-0

Eyes are strange.

Sure, but the pixelation also makes it very light. The red dot of an Aimpoint is still a rich red making the superimposition of the dot to target easier. A pixelated, light orange/red circle dot is overly busy and not usable to me.
Link Posted: 8/5/2022 7:27:27 PM EDT
[#41]
I just got the Mepro RDS Pro V2 in and man, I love it so far. I am going to order a couple of more of these when I can. I am also going to put my MRO up for sale. The RDS Pro V2 green reticle is nice. Really nice. Its very crisp even with my astigmatism. Its like I don't have one.
Link Posted: 8/6/2022 11:26:12 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I just got the Mepro RDS Pro V2 in and man, I love it so far. I am going to order a couple of more of these when I can. I am also going to put my MRO up for sale. The RDS Pro V2 green reticle is nice. Really nice. Its very crisp even with my astigmatism. Its like I don't have one.
View Quote

Welcome fellow MRO seller.....
Link Posted: 8/6/2022 12:14:26 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I still like the MRO. Its an optic that I would run still. If it doesn't sell it will go over onto my Aug and my x95 will get another RDS Pro V2. I have optics lying around waiting to be mounted and sighted in. When Covid hit everything shut down here and I had no where to go and shoot. I thought about driving to some land my family owns in WVA but they keep getting Covid. So I think its best I stay away lol.
Link Posted: 8/7/2022 9:25:36 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

I have looked at the 4T before. Its a really nice optic. I did not know the FBI adopted it.

Isn’t there a 4 and 4T? What are the differences of them?
View Quote

Yes, the 4t is a completely different animal. To satisfy the origin of manufacture, the 4T is built in the US. It and its mount are constructed of 7075 t6 instead of 6061 and the scope body has steel threaded inserts for the mount screws. Its a pretty well built optic.  It also has 4 different reticle, including one that's eotechish and two that have bdc for use with a magnifier.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top