AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 7/17/2021 1:06:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

There are a ton of US Made Handguard Options out there.

Another one I was looking at were handguards from Grendel Hunter.

U.S. Made, Anti Rotation/Anti Slip Design, Maybe about $100 shipped for a 13" Rail. I was going to grab one of those before Primary Arms marked down the DB Rail at 50% off. I figure I'll give the DB a look over in person, and if I don't care for it Ill send it back.

I did speak with the owner on the phone he seemed pretty knowledgeable and helpful. I sorta feel bad I didn't pull the trigger on it.
https://www.grendelhunter.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/09/12-inch-Black-1.jpg
https://www.grendelhunter.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/06/IMG_0243.jpg

The anti slip is built into the lock nut and interfaces with grooves on the barrel nut. Cerakote is also avail for $10-15 more.

If the DB doesn't work out, I'll be getting one of these. I'm for sure grabbing one for my next build.
View Quote

https://www.byoar.com, made those hand guards for them I think. They also made the ones I posted in this thread.  
Link Posted: 7/18/2021 11:13:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Unknown no-name from someone in the EE for super cheap. Works fine for a handguard substitute and to hold a weapon light.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/18/2021 11:33:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Unknown no-name from someone in the EE for super cheap. Works fine for a handguard substitute and to hold a weapon light.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/2980/817B2B08-9955-4DDF-B54D-9887027CF73A_jpe-2018979.JPG
View Quote

Noveske NSR style handguards are honestly fine. Installing with shims is a PITA for some is all.
Link Posted: 7/18/2021 11:46:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 7/18/2021 11:49:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Damn...that is a deal.......and those are rock solid.....
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
LaRue Tactical Lok Picatinny (LAT) Handguards or LaRue Tactical Slick Picatinny (SAT) Handguards  $10/inch are a good deal.
https://www.larue.com/category/parts-accessories/handguards/handguards-ar15/

Damn...that is a deal.......and those are rock solid.....

My only complaint is some arent actually in stock. Great option if you dont mind waiting for them.

Made to order, etc
Link Posted: 7/19/2021 12:19:40 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

My only complaint is some arent actually in stock. Great option if you dont mind waiting for them.

Made to order, etc
View Quote

I just ordered the SAT. For a GWOT inspired build. Hopefully I can get a shop to mill out a couple of Mlok slots on the bottom and sides. I won't mind the wait, I have other rifles as is.
Link Posted: 7/19/2021 4:02:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
If free float is not a requirement my cheapest is Magpul. I don't care for clam shells but they work.
View Quote

This, particularly since OP states his is a 9mm. Why bother with a $450 free float hand guard on a short range weapon?

I suppose some folks out there chase group size with their 9mm AR's, but I'm not one of them.
Link Posted: 7/19/2021 4:26:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

This, particularly since OP states his is a 9mm. Why bother with a $450 free float hand guard on a short range weapon?

I suppose some folks out there chase group size with their 9mm AR's, but I'm not one of them.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
If free float is not a requirement my cheapest is Magpul. I don't care for clam shells but they work.

It depends if his barrel is already set up with a delta ring/etc. Otherwise it's quicker just to torque on a barrel nut and slide on a free float.

Magpul is an awesome choice for the money. Realistically it's the best bag for your buck if you want to add a VFG/Light/QD Sling Mount
Link Posted: 7/19/2021 5:19:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

It depends if his barrel is already set up with a delta ring/etc. Otherwise it's quicker just to torque on a barrel nut and slide on a free float.

Magpul is an awesome choice for the money. Realistically it's the best bag for your buck if you want to add a VFG/Light/QD Sling Mount
View Quote

Good point about the Delta ring. Hadn't thought of that.
Link Posted: 7/19/2021 5:28:13 PM EDT
[#10]
I got ~100 ARs, with everything from exotic monolithics to cheap .mil handguards.

I always want free floats for my rifle caliber ARs for improved accuracy, but on a 9mm it does nothing for you.  Clamp on FFs HGs only contribute as a failure point here.

Honestly, a cheap Chinese 2 piece quad rail HG would be perfectly fine here.  They are dirt cheap and more durable than any $$$$ FF HG.  The Gucci brigade will shit on this comment but they are overcompensators with no engineering knowledge.
Link Posted: 7/19/2021 5:40:59 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
The Ohhunt $40 mlok handguards have been great on several budget builds.
View Quote

Buddy got these they are Rock solid and came with barrel nut.
Link Posted: 7/19/2021 5:59:11 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The Ohhunt $40 mlok handguards have been great on several budget builds.

Crazy, anti rotation and anti slip for $40. Looks just like the Aim Sports.
Link Posted: 7/19/2021 7:37:49 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I got ~100 ARs, with everything from exotic monolithics to cheap .mil handguards.

I always want free floats for my rifle caliber ARs for improved accuracy, but on a 9mm it does nothing for you.  Clamp on FFs HGs only contribute as a failure point here.

Honestly, a cheap Chinese 2 piece quad rail HG would be perfectly fine here.  They are dirt cheap and more durable than any $$$$ FF HG.  The Gucci brigade will shit on this comment but they are overcompensators with no engineering knowledge.
View Quote

How are Daniel Defense Omega two piece free floats, made by people that know more about engineering than you, are a failure point? Of all the things that have failed on my rifles, that was never one of them.

You can have all of the Chinese garbage, which is fine for you you but not for me. If paying a few extra dollars that I already have keeps an American employed, I'm going to do it. There's nothing overcompensating about it either. That's just a false dichotomy, which is a fact.

You do you. My guns are for me, therefore they will be kitted out how I want them to satisfy me and not you. The OP asked, so we answered. If you're not okay with the answers, then the problem is not us or about handguards anymore. Kapeesh?
Link Posted: 7/19/2021 8:12:39 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

How are Daniel Defense Omega two piece free floats, made by people that know more about engineering than you, are a failure point? Of all the things that have failed on my rifles, that was never one of them.

You can have all of the Chinese garbage, which is fine for you you but not for me. If paying a few extra dollars that I already have keeps an American employed, I'm going to do it. There's nothing overcompensating about it either. That's just a false dichotomy, which is a fact.

You do you. My guns are for me, therefore they will be kitted out how I want them to satisfy me and not you. The OP asked, so we answered. If you're not okay with the answers, then the problem is not us or about handguards anymore. Kapeesh?
View Quote

LOL, the only person not okay with answers are you.  Sorry if you are butthurt.

As I said, I want only FF rails for my rifles. The pros from improved accuracy outweigh the con of lower durability.  With PCCs only effective out to a limited distance, there is no point.  FF rails create a large amount of torque and stress at the barrel nut. That can cause breakage or shifting if you fall on your rifle or apply a lot of force on the HG.  The military has documented this fairly well.  Like I said, the ignorant will

And who says kapeesh on forums?  Reads like some loser who watches too many movies and tries too hard to act tough.
Link Posted: 7/19/2021 8:19:20 PM EDT
[#15]
Lately I've been liking the Centurion Mlok rails.

Put a 15" on my newest SPR and a 10" on one of my M16 uppers.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 7/19/2021 8:36:06 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

As I said, I want only FF rails for my rifles. The pros from improved accuracy outweigh the con of lower durability.  With PCCs only effective out to a limited distance, there is no point.  FF rails create a large amount of torque and stress at the barrel nut. That can cause breakage or shifting if you fall on your rifle or apply a lot of force on the HG.  The military has documented this fairly well.  Like I said, the ignorant will

And who says kapeesh on forums?  Reads like some loser who watches too many movies and tries too hard to act tough.
View Quote

If you have to attack someone then again, the issue isn't the topic of handguards.

The OP asked us a question, we answered, IDGAF what you think we should do, that was never the question which is the whole point here.

And if these things are so problematic, then explain the URG and how it's the way forward. Every bit of your counter is a fallacy, the only ignorance here is your projections of it.
Link Posted: 7/19/2021 9:38:05 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 7/19/2021 9:52:23 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

If you have to attack someone then again, the issue isn't the topic of handguards.

The OP asked us a question, we answered, IDGAF what you think we should do, that was never the question which is the whole point here.

And if these things are so problematic, then explain the URG and how it's the way forward. Every bit of your counter is a fallacy, the only ignorance here is your projections of it.
View Quote

Buddy I think you may be emotionally overinvested into this thread.  You lash out like a petulant child with every recommendation you don't agree with and interpret every comment as being an attack on you.  Sounds a bit psychotic honestly. Please get help.
Link Posted: 7/19/2021 10:12:51 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Buddy I think you may be emotionally overinvested into this thread.  You lash out like a petulant child with every recommendation you don't agree with and interpret every comment as being an attack on you.  Sounds a bit psychotic honestly. Please get help.
View Quote

So you can't prove what you said and are projecting again?

Cheapest handguard I would use is a Midwest Industries, BCM, maybe even a CMT. They keep Americans employed and have qualities that I like because gosh, I buy my stuff for ME. Anyone that tries to to get triggered and mad because I don't want something else, has serious issues, fact. But you do you, I'll continue doing e and enjoying the things I paid for that won't break.
Link Posted: 7/19/2021 10:27:54 PM EDT
[#20]

Pot to kettle, majorly.

You were the one that had a meltdown when I recommended an MI tool.

Then you did the same thing in another thread where I suggested a Badger Ordinance scope leveling tool.

Both threads you were not the OP. In other threads continuing it you've gotten them to be locked for the personal attacks

So all of that is all of you projecting it into me. You're welcome for each and every time I've had to remind you of your hypocrisy. The very fact that you came back to this thread just to flame it on is telling.

I should have done this way earlier, you have nothing of value that I would ever want to hear and your petulance at others whose only "crimes" are suggesting things that pains you for no other reason, other than being an insufferable miser and vindictive post stalking's I shall suffer no more. Blocked both of you actually. And from this thread, because people are still going to buy what they want no matter how many times a few miserable persons act.

Link Posted: 7/20/2021 7:57:38 AM EDT
[#21]
I have a UTG PRO (made in Michigan) that was about $100 and it's served me well on a range toy/3-gun rifle. Absolute cheapest? Plastic clamshells.
Link Posted: 7/20/2021 10:52:41 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

U.S. Made, Anti Rotation/Anti Slip Design, Maybe about $100 shipped for a 13" Rail. I was going to grab one of those before Primary Arms marked down the DB Rail at 50% off. I figure I'll give the DB a look over in person, and if I don't care for it Ill send it back.

I did speak with the owner on the phone he seemed pretty knowledgeable and helpful. I sorta feel bad I didn't pull the trigger on it.

The anti slip is built into the lock nut and interfaces with grooves on the barrel nut. Cerakote is also avail for $10-15 more.

If the DB doesn't work out, I'll be getting one of these. I'm for sure grabbing one for my next build.
View Quote

I like the look and price of this.
I've been looking for a budget priced hand guard with the top smooth like this.
I wish it didn't have the dear roll mark, but it might not be a deal breaker.

Link Posted: 7/20/2021 5:33:23 PM EDT
[#23]

I ordered an HQ 10" from that first link of yours today.  I like the look of it, that it has the anti rotation tabs and that it's made in the USA.  My AR has a full length free float guard and I like the look of a shorter guard, plus this one has a different look.  

Link Posted: 7/20/2021 5:37:30 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Looks like HQ from sportsmanguide is the exact same rail on closer inspection.

Either are probably good.

Grendel will ship to me, sportsmans wont for some reason lmao. Pick whichever roll mark is less of an eyesore honestly.
Link Posted: 7/20/2021 6:31:23 PM EDT
[#25]
The ones for sale on SG  site are also made by byoar guys. You can’t be the price from SG if you’re a member.
ARchitect Foundation Series
Link Posted: 7/20/2021 6:47:33 PM EDT
[#26]
The MOE SL on my carbine was around $35
Link Posted: 7/20/2021 7:14:06 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
The MOE SL on my carbine was around $35
View Quote

True but keep in mind:

If you have a virgin/non pinned FSB barrel. Bare minimum is like:
Lowpro Gas Block (Drill and Tap for handguard retainer since no gas tube on a 9mm or chop a gas tube so it's just the nub) $25-35
Delta Ring/barrel Nut $20
Magpul Handguard $35

Already at $85 there.

Also to get a barrel nut wrench that doesn't suck for milspec nuts; you kinda need a PRI
Link Posted: 7/20/2021 7:43:11 PM EDT
[#28]
I have several Troy TRX and Alpha rails that work fine. A number of PSA take offs and a PA Radical as well. Functionally I haven’t found any difference, but I’m admittedly not a heavy user. My hardest use rifles have plastic hand guards.
Link Posted: 7/21/2021 1:48:52 PM EDT
[#29]
DB Handguard arrived today.

Machining looks excellent and it is very thin in the hand.

Unfortunately there is nothing that would prevent this from sliding forward besides clamping pressure from screws.

Gonna send this back, damn shame too. If a company is going to make a rigid rail, the least they can do is make it so it cant slide forward.
Link Posted: 7/21/2021 2:10:00 PM EDT
[#30]
One of my favorites is nbs mlok. It's cheap, slim, and light. And I've used quite a few at this point.

Still have 2 12inch handguards in use. 1 on a 12.5 upper and 1 on a 16inch upper.

They have been as solid for me as anything else. It isn't like I'm using aiming systemss mounted to them anyway save for the front buis.

Nbs has overall treated me well the slick side uppers tend to be a little tight for radian raptor charging handles but that is an easy fix.
Link Posted: 7/21/2021 2:23:30 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Grendel will ship to me, sportsmans wont for some reason lmao. Pick whichever roll mark is less of an eyesore honestly.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Thanks for the info!

Quoted:

Unfortunately there is nothing that would prevent this from sliding forward besides clamping pressure from screws.

Gonna send this back, damn shame too. If a company is going to make a rigid rail, the least they can do is make it so it cant slide forward.

Well, that stinks.
Link Posted: 7/21/2021 11:13:32 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote

It’s not going to slide off, look closer. Just snapped a few pics of the handguard I have, it’s secured on the steel barrel nut.

" />
Link Posted: 7/21/2021 11:41:21 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:

It’s not going to slide off, look closer. Just snapped a few pics of the handguard I have, it’s secured on the steel barrel nut.

https://i.ibb.co/NVSThVY/2-F61921-A-A5-AB-4-CDC-AEAB-3815-AAA92-ADA.jpg https://i.ibb.co/FbVvWQP/32-C34-B02-E213-406-A-AB5-C-727384-EE0-A4-E.jpg https://i.ibb.co/6YMtGQL/2-F4-E5-A6-F-62-D4-436-D-8-D1-C-83384896-F8-EA.jpg https://i.ibb.co/Sc600PV/3060-B0-EE-8-F4-A-422-E-B5-C6-6-CDF1-A897211.jpg" target="_blank">https://i.ibb.co/NVSThVY/2-F61921-A-A5-AB-4-CDC-AEAB-3815-AAA92-ADA.jpg https://i.ibb.co/FbVvWQP/32-C34-B02-E213-406-A-AB5-C-727384-EE0-A4-E.jpg https://i.ibb.co/6YMtGQL/2-F4-E5-A6-F-62-D4-436-D-8-D1-C-83384896-F8-EA.jpg https://i.ibb.co/Sc600PV/3060-B0-EE-8-F4-A-422-E-B5-C6-6-CDF1-A897211.jpg

DB Handguard = Diamond Back
Link Posted: 7/21/2021 11:44:44 PM EDT
[#34]
Lol my bad, yeah too many options mentioned in here.
Link Posted: 7/22/2021 9:31:28 AM EDT
[#35]
Shit.  I didn't see that the HQ had two tabs, and hoped it would fit on my SOLGW nut without having to change nuts.  I was trying to find an SOL 9.5-10" handguard to easily replace the long one it has so there'd be no need to change the nuts but no one has anything in stock.

I wish I had seen this before I ordered, and it's too late to cancel as it's already shipped.  I may send it back and just wait until I can get the SOLGW handguard.

Link Posted: 7/26/2021 12:15:50 PM EDT
[#36]
I'm sending the HQ guard back and waiting for the SOLGW ones to hopefully come back in to stock somewhere.
Link Posted: 7/26/2021 12:39:57 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I'm sending the HQ guard back and waiting for the SOLGW ones to hopefully come back in to stock somewhere.
View Quote

I think STNGR Oems for SOL

Barrel nut , mounting hardware and slip plate look very similar
Link Posted: 7/27/2021 12:22:17 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks, I'll check them out!
Link Posted: 8/5/2021 10:43:36 PM EDT
[#39]
I'd go something decent on sale or something used from the EE.

Just bought a used $70 Odin works Mlok 13" handguard from the EE couple weeks ago.
Noveske NSR N6 for $100 on sale last year/2yrs ago I think
AAC Squaredrop handguard for I think $80 on sale last year
ALG blem handguards ~$80-100 on sale that included an ALG SCB muzzlebrake during a Black Friday sale

Depends on how the handguard is mounted.  I bought a cheapo Guntec for I think 30-40 and I did not like it what so ever. It was heavy for keymod, the barrel nut didn't line up well.  There were lots of hardware to tighten down.

BCM is a standard go to for me since they are low profile, light and solid and typically sub 200.  I like the wedgelock system from other companies as well.
Link Posted: 10/4/2021 3:24:11 PM EDT
[#40]
Anyone ever heard of otsupplier?
They state "Made in USA" and prices in the $100-200 range.

I kind of like this one...

Link Posted: 10/6/2021 10:40:09 AM EDT
[#41]
So, I just spend as much as possible, so I can put cool stickers on my gun safe and name drop in my tag line.  LOL
Link Posted: 10/6/2021 12:38:03 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:What is the cheapest handguard you would actually pay money for and use?
View Quote

I planned to use DPMS tube on my AR9. It is on my build list, but now that I pulled the rifle out of he safe, it has an unnamed Keymod tube on it. It absolutely could not be more than $50. More likely $35. But I got what I paid for. This tube secures with a lock screw coming from the bottom and I had a hell of a time lining up the rails on the handguard and receiver. Even now they are a tiny bit mismatched. Just cold not do it. Fortunately I'm not using the handguard rail for anything.

DB is on my blacklist since DB380. I heard they're trying to make a comeback, but I don't trust them.

MI is trusted brand. I never had any issues with their products.
Link Posted: 10/11/2021 6:28:20 AM EDT
[#43]
I run this rail on my 16" OD green build

https://daytonatactical.com/products/15-inch-m-lok-free-float-rail-olive-drab-green

I would never buy from them again due to their piss poor service, but I like the rail. Put at 12" in black on the wife's build and she loves it.

I guess the point being inexpensive doesn't always mean "cheap". I've run some more expensive rails in the past and never found them to be anything special. That's not to say they were bad, just that they didn't bring anything to the table that appealed to me.
Link Posted: 10/14/2021 7:48:10 PM EDT
[#44]
I just got a couple of the Diamondback rails mentioned above, in 9" length for a couple of pistol builds. They aren't anything special, but they do mount up solid and hold the barrel on, which is the primary job I have them for. Their IS nothing to keep them from slipping forward in the mounting system, but it does clamp on pretty tight. We'll see what happens when I get some rounds through them. It looks easy enough to drill and tap the rail for a set screw, if necessary.

I got them on sale for $37.99/ea. and I'm happy with what I got for the price. I don't know I'd pay the $85 they're listed at now, honestly. \

Once I get some rounds through them, I'll try to remember to report back on if they turned out to be turds or not.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top