Site Notices
Posted: 8/16/2021 3:25:14 PM EDT
Stern defense 6" upper
Anderson lower
Law folder
Sb3 brace
Burris fastfire 2
Surefire 6p in UTG mount

Main question is the light setup.  Not much room on a short rail.  My biggest worry is the brightness of the flashlight drowning out the red dot on the fastfire.  I tested it and the red dot is a little hard to see with the flashlight on.

Link Posted: 8/16/2021 3:35:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Very nice rig. Co-witness with BUIS and it will fix the washout. Is that red dot not too low for you?
Link Posted: 8/16/2021 4:42:40 PM EDT
[#2]
I would not have gone with the open Burris on that, I'd have done a Romeo5 or other small RDS.

I've got a couple newer G2X, the 600 lumen ones, on rifles.  With the Romeo5 or Sparc AR, I don't lose the dot, it does become a bit less obvious though against a really bright wall when the light is on.  I'm assuming your at 15-25 feet indoors.

I like everything else, looks handy!
Link Posted: 8/16/2021 5:26:24 PM EDT
[#3]
I dont find the fastfire to low.  I have 3 other builds with the Romeo 5 and I actually think with the high mount they are to tall.  My natural mounting posture is my cheek weld on the buffer tube. I guess it carries over from shotgun wing shooting.  I have actually be reevaluating my Aimpoints in LaRue mounts that seem to tall to me now too.

What difference does a tube style have over a reflex style when using flashlights?
Link Posted: 8/16/2021 5:29:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Looks good, for as well as a Glock gun can
Link Posted: 8/16/2021 5:46:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I dont find the fastfire to low.  I have 3 other builds with the Romeo 5 and I actually think with the high mount they are to tall.  My natural mounting posture is my cheek weld on the buffer tube. I guess it carries over from shotgun wing shooting.  I have actually be reevaluating my Aimpoints in LaRue mounts that seem to tall to me now too.

What difference does a tube style have over a reflex style when using flashlights?
View Quote

It wasn't in regards to the flashlight, I was too terse.  I prefer tube style because I have more confidence in them over the open style.  Open has too many drawbacks for me, unusable or reduced usability when dirty, wet, dusty, tougher to clean, actually need to be cleaned.  You already know you can drop a low mount on a Romeo5.

On the handguard space, could always do TRL with a tape switch, gotta find something to build next to move that 6p on to.
Link Posted: 8/16/2021 5:50:20 PM EDT
[#6]
I have several surefire 300's I could use and pressure switches but I dont think u can fit them on the rail and hit the button do to lack of space.  Kinda bitter sweet situation
Link Posted: 8/16/2021 6:05:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have several surefire 300's I could use and pressure switches but I dont think u can fit them on the rail and hit the button do to lack of space.  Kinda bitter sweet situation
View Quote

I'd just play with what you got on there then, perfectly, totally, usable.  Sometimes I get to overthinking that my G2X's don't have guard tail caps, could do that kind of stuff all day.

Nice build!
Link Posted: 9/16/2021 6:40:36 PM EDT
[#8]
With your flashlight extending ~2" beyond the muzzle, would it be worthwhile to get a 2" longer barrel & handguard so that you have more real estate to work with?   You might have room for your tape switch in that scenario.  I'm not knocking your build -- just looking for suggestions to make it a little more practical.  

For what it's worth, my Aimpoint H1 doesn't wash out when using my Streamlight TLR1-HL.  Whether that's because it's of a tube construction, or because it's different technology, I don't know.  All I know is the Aimpoint is always on and always bright.
Link Posted: 9/16/2021 9:02:18 PM EDT
[#9]
If it were mine I would try mounting the white light directly under the barrel and recessed slightly back behind the muzzle device such that the barrel and rail casts a keyhole shadow upwards into the flashlights disk of throw right where the red dot sight dot will be making it easier to see and less likely to get washed out.  The light would then become the support hand gripping point putting the hand right on the light to switch it off and on.  Eliminates angled forgrip which might become an issue in the future which means just a quick and easy swap out of the rear receiver extension to a plain round smooth tube to keep it publicly presentable at least for a little while if things continue to go they way they are headed.
Link Posted: 10/20/2021 7:17:49 PM EDT
[#10]
Nice and compact!
Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top