User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 11:44:43 AM EDT
[#1]
Cherry Balmz is legit stuff, I use it on anything I can.
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 12:54:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Delete
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 2:17:09 PM EDT
[#3]
CLP or automotive oil. I've tried Slip and a host of other things over the years.
Link Posted: 12/1/2018 11:55:58 PM EDT
[#4]
For a rifle that I may have to defend myself with ... SLIP2000.

For every range gun ... Mobile 1 (or Royal Purple)
Link Posted: 12/1/2018 11:59:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Now that I think about it ... I can't remember the last time I used EWL.  I bought a huge container at the NRA show a few years ago (was tired of ordering the smaller containers online), but after thinking more about it ... I have been using Royal Purple synthetic oil (5w30).  I have a quart of Mobil 1 as well.

ETA: I transfer all options (SLIP2000 EWL, Royal Purple, and Mobil 1) into old LSA squeeze / squirt bottles.  Makes application easy.

I probably run my ARs too wet.  I'm very very VERY generous with BCG lube.  I never have functional problems at the range.
Link Posted: 12/2/2018 12:18:27 AM EDT
[#6]
A nice thin coat of Super Lube grease.
Link Posted: 12/2/2018 9:43:12 PM EDT
[#7]
I just keep it simple the days and use G96 clp. I use it to clean and for lube. That is currently what the military uses and they see harsher environments than I ever will.

I have had some pretty hard use days (750 rounds) and works fine. Have also used it in sub zero temps and it worked fine. I had an issue with the break free clp brand in sub zero weather
Link Posted: 12/2/2018 10:02:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Lubriplate 130A
Link Posted: 12/4/2018 1:41:54 PM EDT
[#9]
I just got a sample bottle from Cherry Balmz and I'm honestly really impressed with it.  I've tried other lubes and always went back to Breakfree CLP but I'm sick of it running away from friction surfaces and how quickly it disappears.  I've been meaning to try a grease for that reason so I got a sample of the standard Cherry Balmz (thanks to learning about the availability of the sample bottles here).  I wouldn't have even tried it out if not for the sample offer.

I could tell how slick it is just from hand cycling the first AR I used it on.  Then I shot five mags suppressed with it and the grease was still in place, and it still seemed like it was lubricating really well...that isn't the case with most oils I've tried.  That's a pretty short and anecdotal test, but it clearly is working better.  I'll continue to use it and see how long it lasts.  They also talk about how it can make a finicky gun run due to the reduction in friction, and I believe it.  I used it on a AR that would cycle in a particular configuration but wouldn't lock the bolt back on an empty mag.  After using the Cherry Balmz grease on it, I could not get it to fail to lock the bolt back.  I have to wonder if there is a cheaper grease that works as well, but if the stuff lasts as long as they claim that may not matter.  I'm going to end up using a grease on my AR bolts and carriers from now on most likely, and it looks like this Cherry Balmz stuff might be the one I use.
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 11:54:57 AM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I just got a sample bottle from Cherry Balmz and I'm honestly really impressed with it.  I've tried other lubes and always went back to Breakfree CLP but I'm sick of it running away from friction surfaces and how quickly it disappears.  I've been meaning to try a grease for that reason so I got a sample of the standard Cherry Balmz (thanks to learning about the availability of the sample bottles here).  I wouldn't have even tried it out if not for the sample offer.

I could tell how slick it is just from hand cycling the first AR I used it on.  Then I shot five mags suppressed with it and the grease was still in place, and it still seemed like it was lubricating really well...that isn't the case with most oils I've tried.  That's a pretty short and anecdotal test, but it clearly is working better.  I'll continue to use it and see how long it lasts.  They also talk about how it can make a finicky gun run due to the reduction in friction, and I believe it.  I used it on a AR that would cycle in a particular configuration but wouldn't lock the bolt back on an empty mag.  After using the Cherry Balmz grease on it, I could not get it to fail to lock the bolt back.  I have to wonder if there is a cheaper grease that works as well, but if the stuff lasts as long as they claim that may not matter.  I'm going to end up using a grease on my AR bolts and carriers from now on most likely, and it looks like this Cherry Balmz stuff might be the one I use.
View Quote
My limited experience with CB mirrors yours so far.  Will be purchasing more.

Also, every time I see the name, Cherry Balmz, that Cherry Bomb song (The Runaways) pops in my head...
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 12:02:52 PM EDT
[#11]
I use gunzilla for everything now.
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 12:19:26 PM EDT
[#12]
tw25b
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 12:24:31 PM EDT
[#13]
slip 2000
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 9:32:47 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Cherry Balmz.

/thread

https://www.cherrybalmz.com
View Quote
THIS!!!   been using slip 2000 and various grease for years.  recently tried the cherry balmz.  ill never switch back.
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 5:59:02 PM EDT
[#15]
OP you mentioned Breakfree CLP.  I have personally used this on and off for Over 20 years and for what it is IMHO it is really good kit however, Froglube CLP is now my go to.  Froglube works really good in my experience.  I use the paste, extreme liquid and solvent.  The extreme doesn't get gummy when left on a weapon like the standard liquid can. Use what you want and try it out to formulate your own opinion.  FYI I have no connections the aforementioned I just merely use some of their kit.
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 10:53:46 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote
Welcome to the club! I, too, am curious how long 1 bottle will last. That's the only claim I am skeptical about still, after using it for a month or so now.
Link Posted: 12/11/2018 11:02:22 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
OP you mentioned Breakfree CLP.  I have personally used this on and off for Over 20 years and for what it is IMHO it is really good kit however, Froglube CLP is now my go to.  Froglube works really good in my experience.  I use the paste, extreme liquid and solvent.  The extreme doesn't get gummy when left on a weapon like the standard liquid can. Use what you want and try it out to formulate your own opinion.  FYI I have no connections the aforementioned I just merely use some of their kit.
View Quote
I see allot if don't use frog lube but my experience is like yours. My rifles have sat dormant for 8 or nine months without being used and when I got out they work fine. I'll keep using it until I have a problem or run out then I might cherrybalmz.
Link Posted: 12/11/2018 11:14:09 PM EDT
[#18]
Mobil 1 synthetic. I don't worry about specific weights.

I put it on my bolt and carrier heavily, and haven't had any malfunctions yet.
Link Posted: 12/11/2018 11:31:14 PM EDT
[#19]
WeaponShield oil/grease
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 7:50:11 AM EDT
[#20]
my favorite lubes for years have been hi-temp grease, Mobil One, or slip 2000 EWL.  I tried Cherry Balmz last week.  Im never changing back. The stuffs THAT good, IMHO.
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 10:46:28 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
The only downside with “ perfect lubes” is the cost and the fact that I will clean my gun long before the premiere lube gives up.  A $20 1/4 oz won’t get me the value.

I was a Mobil synthetic 5w guy before the combine/corn binder grease.  Weeks after being applied and a 200 round session and the oil looked gone.  Not so with the 00 grease.

ETA. To be clear I am not lumping Mobil 1 synthetic in with expensive boutique lubes.   It’s a good oil that is supposed to not congeal or polymerize.
View Quote
Since many will blow the lube right out of the gun in a firefight, having anything is better than nothing. Cost is a factor. Most boutique solutions are high dollar and for guns that only see a range a few times a year, the anti corrosion aspects they exhibit are the real factor, which is largely ignored on gun forums.

Read a thread somewhere, the OP posted pics of test strips of steel coated with lubes to show which didn't drain off and resisted rust. The better ones listed out were eye opening. Transmission fluid rated pretty high, but after smelling it on my deer rifle in the field, bucks got into flight mode, so I quit using it. What is smells like to game IS important to hunters. If you think it stinks, how much more a deer with 10 times the scent receptors trying to find a doe in heat?

I'm presently using Lucas as a rental range in LV seems to have less issues with it spraying or rubbing on the clients clothing and the results are also good. Any excess lube gets blown out of the action after a mag or two, the old saw about running them dripping wet? At $20 an ounce? If you shoot a lot, maybe not so much. If it offers other characteristics which have a higher priority, it's your choice.

Don't forget, one carbine course instructor used to demonstrate the AR would work fine with a womens intimate anti itch cream. Others claim bacon grease is their preferred lubricant. Most overthink it and brag about using anything that makes them appear knowledgeable.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top