Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/23/2020 1:07:12 AM EDT
The original XM16E1 lowers had a small hole on the side near the back. It was for a roll pin that kept the buffer tube from turning.

A lower from NDS or Brownells don't actually need a roll pin there, but I would like one there for authenticity sake.

What do you think? Where can one be found?

Thanks!!!!
Link Posted: 3/23/2020 1:10:24 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
The original XM16E1 lowers had a small hole on the side near the back. It was for a roll pin that kept the buffer tube from turning.

A lower from NDS or Brownells don't actually need a roll pin there, but I would like one there for authenticity sake.

What do you think? Where can one be found?

Thanks!!!!
View Quote

A shorter roll pin to fill the hole and look the part
Link Posted: 3/23/2020 6:49:00 AM EDT
[#2]
Copy/paste from the NDS website:

The NDS-XM16E1 "Retro" lower receiver

This is the version used "pre-adoption" in Viet Nam. After the Army fielded some XM16E1's, they decided to adopt it as the M16A1 (with some improvements).

Please notice the roll-pin hole on the back end. It is sized to take a 3/32 roll pin just like the original.

But, unlike the originals, it DOES NOT intersect the buffer tube by cutting through the threads. I felt that was unnecessary, and could cause more problems than good.

Link Posted: 3/23/2020 8:33:40 AM EDT
[#3]
I called NDS and told them i had bought the XM16E1 lower second hand and the seller didnt have the roll pin, they had no problem sending one out to me free of charge
Link Posted: 3/23/2020 8:36:06 AM EDT
[#4]
Your local Ace Hardware store.
Link Posted: 3/23/2020 11:34:34 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Your local Ace Hardware store.
View Quote

This. Any hardware store/Home Depot type place will have them for a few pennies
Link Posted: 4/2/2020 11:23:19 AM EDT
[#6]
Man if I had a nickel for everytime a woman asked me "what can I stick in the hole" I'd be broke.
Link Posted: 4/2/2020 12:02:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Man if I had a nickel for everytime a woman asked me "what can I stick in the hole" I'd be broke.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/2/2020 1:15:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

dreams can come true...
Link Posted: 4/7/2020 10:18:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Wow , 5 replies before it went sideways ... I'm impressed.
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 2:36:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Wow , 5 replies before it went sideways ... I'm impressed.
View Quote

You have NO idea how hard it was for me to ignore the purposeful set up title!

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top