Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/29/2024 1:30:22 PM EDT
Have a surplus C7 upper I am working on, inserted a factory Colt barrel and noticed I’m getting minute lateral play between the barrel index pin and notch, before the barrel nut is torqued on.

How much play is acceptable? I am able to fit a .004” feeler gauge between the pin and upper.

Link Posted: 2/29/2024 2:20:58 PM EDT
[#1]
The index pin slot in receiver:  .126" +.002"

The index pin hole in extension: .1235" +.0015"

I do not have the specs on the index pin itself.
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 2:31:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Dex223] [#2]
The Index Pin:  .1255" -.0005"
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 5:09:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Dex223:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

So, on the extreme ends of tolerance, you have +.003"
Link Posted: 3/1/2024 12:21:39 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks.

Seems that upper is toast without shimming or some kind of receiver notch repair. Some bubba not only dremeled around the rear takedown lug, but opened the notch up to 0.1315"

Some people should not be allowed around any sort of hand tools.
Link Posted: 3/1/2024 12:45:13 AM EDT
[Last Edit: s4s4u] [#5]
Originally Posted By Apec:
Thanks.

Seems that upper is toast without shimming or some kind of receiver notch repair. Some bubba not only dremeled around the rear takedown lug, but opened the notch up to 0.1315"

View Quote

Wondering if the previous barrel had a front sight base?  If so, it may have been canted and possibly bubba tried to "index" it?
Link Posted: 3/1/2024 1:48:03 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By s4s4u:

Wondering if the previous barrel had a front sight base?  If so, it may have been canted and possibly bubba tried to "index" it?
View Quote

That seems to be the likely case. There was a whole lot wrong with the complete upper/gun this upper receiver came from (original index pin seemed to have been broken/lost, and replaced with a roll pin + barrel nut wasn't torqued to spec), and looks like it turned out to be worse than I imagined.
Link Posted: 3/1/2024 6:47:11 AM EDT
[#7]
Thanks.

View Quote

I don't know that I would call it toast related to the indexing pin. The notch really just serves to idiot proof the barrel installation. As long as the notch doesn't force the barrel out of alignment, it can be shimmed into alignment. The takedown lug is a different story for sure.
Link Posted: 3/1/2024 4:31:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Homesteader375:

I don't know that I would call it toast related to the indexing pin. The notch really just serves to idiot proof the barrel installation. As long as the notch doesn't force the barrel out of alignment, it can be shimmed into alignment. The takedown lug is a different story for sure.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Homesteader375:
Thanks.

Yeah. Just annoys me that a decent surplus upper got bubba’d in this way. I think I could try to use JB weld to reinforce the rear lug, but not really making a priority of building this upper yet.

Link Posted: 3/1/2024 5:20:27 PM EDT
[#9]

Yeah. Just annoys me that a decent surplus upper got bubba’d in this way. I think I could try to use JB weld to reinforce the rear lug, but not really making a priority of building this upper yet.

https://i.imgur.com/w1x0der.jpeg
https://i.imgur.com/LSSRDlZ.jpeg
View Quote

Looks like bubba had to mod the upper to fit his poorly milled 80% lower

That isn't a super stressful point of contact.  Other than the looks, I'd be comfortable with it.  Once pinned up, nobody knows
Link Posted: 3/1/2024 5:44:16 PM EDT
[#10]

That isn't a super stressful point of contact.  Other than the looks, I'd be comfortable with it.  Once pinned up, nobody knows
View All Quotes

https://i.imgur.com/w1x0der.jpeg
https://i.imgur.com/LSSRDlZ.jpeg

Yeah, I'd shoot that. Honestly, JB Weld is almost as Bubba as what's already been done. If you're not going to tig some aluminum into it and mill or file it back, I'd leave it. Maybe put some aluminum black on it.
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 5:23:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By TGWLDR:

View Quote

Kind of odd to me that the index pin isn’t detailed on the barrel extension drawing.
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 8:08:16 PM EDT
[#12]
I would sell it to someone that doesn’t care about the issues and get another upper.  If you are worried enough to ask , you will never be satisfied knowing you have a shit upper.
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 12:08:11 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By alpha0815:

Kind of odd to me that the index pin isn’t detailed on the barrel extension drawing.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By alpha0815:
Originally Posted By TGWLDR:

The index pin has it's own drawing.
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 11:19:28 AM EDT
[#14]

The index pin has it's own drawing.
View Quote

Clearly not one I saved when going through the TDP
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 11:26:46 AM EDT
[#15]
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top