Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/26/2021 10:02:53 AM EDT
Just getting back into AR shooting after a couple year break. Going to try slip lube, the original or EWL? It'll be on a 5.56 / 12.5 in gun, and I'm in Northeast Georgia.
Link Posted: 12/26/2021 10:10:04 AM EDT
[#1]
Any oil is good.
Link Posted: 12/26/2021 10:54:52 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Any oil is good.
View Quote

But that doesn't answer my question. Thanks for your input.
Link Posted: 12/26/2021 11:09:03 AM EDT
[#3]
I have both, can't tell that one really works better than the other. I tend to prefer the 30 because it should stay in place better rather than drip into the bore or the buffer tube in storage.
Link Posted: 12/26/2021 11:19:10 AM EDT
[#4]
I’d use the EWL but either will do it. Most people overthink oil.
Link Posted: 12/26/2021 12:31:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I have both, can't tell that one really works better than the other. I tend to prefer the 30 because it should stay in place better rather than drip into the bore or the buffer tube in storage.
View Quote

Thanks.
Link Posted: 12/26/2021 12:31:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Any oil is good.

It sure did.
Use either.
Use olive oil, Use mobile 1, Use rem oil....whatever, just keep it wet.
Link Posted: 12/26/2021 11:27:45 PM EDT
[#7]
As far as Slip 2000 oils here is the summary:

Gun lube- A Traditional CLP type product.

EWL- Mostly a lubricant/rust preventer that has less cleaning ability but more high temperature resistance. It does have some very light cleaning properties to it but not as good as the standard slip Gun lube.

EWL 30- A thicker version of EWL. Works great if you live in a very warm climate.

For most people in most situations, Gun lube is what you want if you want an all in one "clp" type of product. The EWL is what you want if you like to use a separate cleaner to clean your guns.
Link Posted: 12/27/2021 4:09:59 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I’d use the EWL but either will do it. Most people overthink oil.
View Quote

I was on Brownells and midway's website today and the lubricants in the Grease are endless of options.
Link Posted: 12/27/2021 4:13:13 AM EDT
[#9]
I used EWL, it *seemed* to stay in place longer than the standard stuff.  Whether or not that is the case I don’t know, but it worked better for me.
Link Posted: 12/27/2021 5:37:33 AM EDT
[#10]
I like EWL.

I have some EWL grease I use sparingly for internals like trigger sears and slide rails.
Link Posted: 12/27/2021 9:28:19 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I was on Brownells and midway's website today and the lubricants in the Grease are endless of options.
View Quote

And they pretty much all work just fine. Just avoid anything vegetable oil based and Frog Lube and it’ll work fine.

I don’t use or recommend grease on an AR15. It’s not needed and can cause problems. But even a light grease works better than being dry. Being dry is the problem. What you use to keep it wet really doesn’t matter. Some oils may work marginally better than others but keeping it lubricated it what’s important.
Link Posted: 12/27/2021 4:58:57 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

And they pretty much all work just fine. Just avoid anything vegetable oil based and Frog Lube and it’ll work fine.

I don’t use or recommend grease on an AR15. It’s not needed and can cause problems. But even a light grease works better than being dry. Being dry is the problem. What you use to keep it wet really doesn’t matter. Some oils may work marginally better than others but keeping it lubricated it what’s important.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Stay away from FireClean as well. It’s bio-degradable which means well, it degrades.
Link Posted: 12/28/2021 2:27:51 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 12/28/2021 8:09:27 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

In the Armorer courses that we teach, we provide each student with a sample of Slip2000 "EWL" Extreme Weapons Lube.  It is a liquid, and is great for reducing friction and corrosion protection.  The liquid is nice to use as an all around, as it allows you to get lube to flow into places like the ejector and detent tracks so everything like the detents and springs get lubed.  The "EWL" lasts a long time, as when we teach shooting courses, and rifle instructor courses, we have people lube with it on the morning of day-1, and the rifles are still running just fine several days later with over 1500-2500rds through them, and when we clean the fouling basically is like soot in a sense where it comes off easily.  It is a great cold weather lube, as I have personally run it in -37F temps, and all weapons ran reliably.

The Slip2000 "EWL30" Extreme Weapons Lube 30 is more like a gel, as it is thicker.  The nice thing about the gel is that it will stay where you put it, this is nice if you do not wipe your weapon down on a regular basis.  The gel is too thick to flow into the hidden spring and detent holes, this is where the liquid "EWL" has a better advantage.  For cold weather, I have personally run the "EWL30" at -34F and it ran just fine.

I am not a fan of anything with grease.  Grease will often times be too thick to run in colder temps.  Grease will often times also grab the carbon particles, and then act as an abrasive compound and wear parts out quicker.  So if you are going to run a grease, then I would highly suggest that you clean often and clean thorough.

CY6
Greg Sullivan "Sully"
SLR15 Rifles
TheDefensiveEdge.com
(763) 712-0123
View Quote

I've been using grease since my first rifle being an M1 garand. The grease works a lot better with an ar especially the slip ewg. I have a bolt carrier that I shot 1000s of rounds out of and it looks brand spanking new because of the grease. You won't see any wearing of any part. And I taken a class with the grease and found that I lasted all 2 days of it shooting somewhere between 1200-1500 rounds without cleaning. During a break, a guy said he never seen me clean my rifle and that my rifle never seem to have any malfunctions. He asked what I used and I mentioned the slip grease and he looked at my upper and could see the 4 rail points still wet and the carrier looking very wet on the 4 rails. He was surprised and said he's going to buy it. I'm not sure if he ever tried it as I didn't get his contact information but I'm sure if he used it it'll be the best thing.
Link Posted: 12/28/2021 9:19:49 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I've been using grease since my first rifle being an M1 garand. The grease works a lot better with an ar especially the slip ewg. I have a bolt carrier that I shot 1000s of rounds out of and it looks brand spanking new because of the grease. You won't see any wearing of any part. And I taken a class with the grease and found that I lasted all 2 days of it shooting somewhere between 1200-1500 rounds without cleaning. During a break, a guy said he never seen me clean my rifle and that my rifle never seem to have any malfunctions. He asked what I used and I mentioned the slip grease and he looked at my upper and could see the 4 rail points still wet and the carrier looking very wet on the 4 rails. He was surprised and said he's going to buy it. I'm not sure if he ever tried it as I didn't get his contact information but I'm sure if he used it it'll be the best thing.
View Quote

The military fires millions of rounds per year through M16s and M4s and they primarily use regular CLP.  Works quite well.  Lots of people think grease works "better" because when you put grease on a rifle, it feels smoother.  And yet, regular old oil works just fine for people who actually shoot their rifles as a job.  In one, two day range training event in the USMC, my company's ammo allocation was just shy of 100k rounds.  Every rifle out there was lubricated with regular CLP.  Worked as well at the end of the shoot as at the beginning.  I've participated in multiple 1 week+ training events with over 350k rounds fired for the battalion and again, every rifle out there was lubricated with regular CLP.  Again, worked fine.  Rifles actually used as military weapons get dirt and sand in them....lots of dirt and sand.  You don't want something that will turn into an abrasive paste inside the rifle.  

I'm not trying to convince you to use something else.  Use whatever you want to.  A safe queen or someone who doesn't actually depend on their rifle for their life can use whatever they please...won't affect anyone.  Those who actually depend on their rifles to defend themselves with should use what the rifle manufacturers recommend which in the case of the AR15/M16/M4 family of weapons is oil.

OP....use oil.  What brand you use isn't that important (just use real oil not veggie crap).  I have and have used many types of oil and all have worked fine.  I even used and liked.....brace yourself.....Militec and it worked just fine too (shocking I know but true).  If you gave me a choice of EWL or regular SLIP, I'd pick EWL but if all I could get is regular, I'd use that.  Currently I'm actually using Lucas gun oil.  I like it but maybe it's because I really like the needle applicator.  

Interesting SLIP story but not really related to to OP's question.....when I was in Afghanistan, we issued brand new .50 machine guns to the Afghans.  Took them out of the box.  In each box there was a 4 oz bottle of regular SLIP oil.
Link Posted: 12/28/2021 9:37:01 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

The military fires millions of rounds per year through M16s and M4s and they primarily use regular CLP.  Works quite well.  Lots of people think grease works "better" because when you put grease on a rifle, it feels smoother.  And yet, regular old oil works just fine for people who actually shoot their rifles as a job.  In one, two day range training event in the USMC, my company's ammo allocation was just shy of 100k rounds.  Every rifle out there was lubricated with regular CLP.  Worked as well at the end of the shoot as at the beginning.  I've participated in multiple 1 week+ training events with over 350k rounds fired for the battalion and again, every rifle out there was lubricated with regular CLP.  Again, worked fine.  Rifles actually used as military weapons get dirt and sand in them....lots of dirt and sand.  You don't want something that will turn into an abrasive paste inside the rifle.  

I'm not trying to convince you to use something else.  Use whatever you want to.  A safe queen or someone who doesn't actually depend on their rifle for their life can use whatever they please...won't affect anyone.  Those who actually depend on their rifles to defend themselves with should use what the rifle manufacturers recommend which in the case of the AR15/M16/M4 family of weapons is oil.

OP....use oil.  What brand you use isn't that important (just use real oil not veggie crap).  I have and have used many types of oil and all have worked fine.  I even used and liked.....brace yourself.....Militec and it worked just fine too (shocking I know but true).  If you gave me a choice of EWL or regular SLIP, I'd pick EWL but if all I could get is regular, I'd use that.  Currently I'm actually using Lucas gun oil.  I like it but maybe it's because I really like the needle applicator.  

Interesting SLIP story but not really related to to OP's question.....when I was in Afghanistan, we issued brand new .50 machine guns to the Afghans.  Took them out of the box.  In each box there was a 4 oz bottle of regular SLIP oil.
View Quote

The military originally issued LSA for their M16 rifles. They also issued a bottle of solvent with it. They moved away from it to CLP because they feared soldiers didn't get it. The LSA is a thicker fluid that Slip 30 is very close to. Many said the LSA is much better than CLP and some people even still use LSA when they can find it. It's a lot better than any CLP the military issued.

Overall though, you're right nothing wrong with CLP but I seen more failures with it than grease. If you do use CLP just remember you'll likely have to reapply it and chances are if you're in an extended session or class, be ready to have to clean or squirt some more CLP into your rifle. Slip however is a much better product overall and would recommend it over any CLP product (Slip is "CLP" but much better).

Remember wet and dirty is okay, wet and dry is not. I shot 1000s of rounds with grease and never noticed any excessive wear. I don't get where that topic even came from. Sounds like people just repeating back what they heard on the internet.
Link Posted: 1/2/2022 12:05:38 AM EDT
[#17]
Any gun I would trust my life to has EWL on it. It hold up great with suppressor use.  Range toys get whatever is around.
Link Posted: 1/12/2022 5:31:44 PM EDT
[#18]
I like all the slip products.  Usually rock the EWL on my SBR/can setup and have been doing so for 13 years or so now.
Link Posted: 3/15/2022 2:49:06 PM EDT
[#19]
I've used Slip EWL for a long time, and I need no further convincing of it's effectiveness.

However, I have never oiled the spring and detent channels of my AR's, nor have I really ever heard of doing that, so that caught my attention.

What improvement have you seen with oiling those areas?

Is this done for extreme cold weather?
Link Posted: 3/15/2022 7:57:38 PM EDT
[#20]
I’d just use the regular gun lube.

I used EWL and EWL 30 for years and it runs out into the buffer tube just like any other oil. Might take the EWL30 an extra day, but it all runs out.

I just switched to CLP and it’s just a thin lube but rhe extta cleaning properties are nice.

Link Posted: 3/16/2022 10:15:31 PM EDT
[#21]
The thing that I like about EWL is that when I first started using it, I noticed that the tail of the bolt had much less carbon fouling.
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top