User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 6/16/2022 12:06:48 AM EDT
[#1]
Am I the only one around here that uses permatex gasket maker on the charging handle to make a gas buster?  It's great on the cheap. And I like Vltor and BCM gunfighter handles.
Link Posted: 6/16/2022 3:47:05 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Mil spec and buy a dozens mags instead of $125 charging handles
View Quote

Already have a 100 mags still in the wraps and then some being used

So right now those charging handles that aren't $125 but are more like $70 are a great thing.
Link Posted: 6/16/2022 3:49:55 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
GI

cheap,

low profile,

why-are-u-fucking-with-the-CH-when-there-is-work-to-do?
View Quote

Ew.

Cheap isn't a feature, it's an excuse.

The Radian SL is low profile too.

why-are-you-worrying-about-this?
Link Posted: 6/16/2022 3:51:18 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Am I the only one around here that uses permatex gasket maker on the charging handle to make a gas buster?  It's great on the cheap. And I like Vltor and BCM gunfighter handles.
View Quote

Probably. Some people like having something else that's also more efficient for them and an OEM won't do no matter what.
Link Posted: 6/16/2022 4:23:27 AM EDT
[#5]
Radian Raptor
Link Posted: 6/16/2022 8:23:00 AM EDT
[#6]
G charging handles are way overrated... And this is coming from someone who currently uses 3 (two ACHs and one SCH) of them.  Sure they look cool, but they aren't functionally superior, and they are actually less ergonomic (IMO) than lower priced competitors.  Nothing wrong them, just over priced and over hyped.  I suppose if you can get for for $75, that's not a bad option.

The non-vltor BCMs were a huge disappointment to me.  I have 1 that is sitting unused, replaced by a milspec ch.

My favorite non-ambi ch is the vltor.

I haven't tried the PRI charging handles, that's probably next on the list to try.
Link Posted: 6/16/2022 12:11:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Probably. Some people like having something else that's also more efficient for them and an OEM won't do no matter what.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You're right, OEM generally sucks but permatex on BCM or Vltor is awesome on the cheap.
Link Posted: 6/16/2022 12:29:04 PM EDT
[#8]
I prefer a standard charging handle made out of 7075-T6

Mega arms used to make some really nice ones.
Link Posted: 6/16/2022 12:38:05 PM EDT
[#9]
For suppressed shooting the griffin snatch seems to work. I get carbon deposits on the receiver outside it’s vent.
Link Posted: 6/16/2022 12:51:05 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

That never happened to me.
View Quote

Probably the height of the sling
Link Posted: 6/16/2022 12:54:20 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That never happened to me.

Maybe. Maybe not. I'm a southpaw rifle shooter, what only digs into me annoyingly is the shell deflector.
Link Posted: 6/17/2022 7:24:03 PM EDT
[#12]
I absolutely LOVE my Badger x Hodge ambi. Feels great, does good with gas.
Link Posted: 6/18/2022 12:38:17 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Bravo Company single side medium latch is my go to.
View Quote

This, Been using them for years on multiple guns.
Link Posted: 6/18/2022 12:57:21 PM EDT
[#14]
Geissele SCH or Radian Raptor. I have either or on all my rifles. After using one, you just can't go back to mil-spec, ha.
Link Posted: 6/18/2022 1:04:57 PM EDT
[#15]
Geissele but it seems like they go up faster than gas prices lately.

Raptor LT or bcm when on sale for around $50 will suffice for any future needs.
Link Posted: 6/18/2022 1:47:59 PM EDT
[#16]
Geissele ACH. Also love raptor SL and BCM mod 4. I’d take any of those and be happy.
Link Posted: 6/19/2022 1:52:09 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

Could you post a pic of where you filled it in? I'm always interested in useful tips.
Link Posted: 6/19/2022 2:39:15 AM EDT
[#18]
Geissele SCH, very closely followed by the Raptor.
Link Posted: 6/19/2022 2:41:02 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Could you post a pic of where you filled it in? I'm always interested in useful tips.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.03designgroup.com/technotes/do-it-yourself-gas-buster-charging-handle
Link Posted: 6/19/2022 12:34:59 PM EDT
[#20]
The best charge handle is one that sticks out the left side of the receiver, and doesn't cycle with the bolt carrier...
Link Posted: 6/20/2022 11:55:56 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Plenty of YouTube videos out there. Put some shoe polish or chapstick or something on the back of the upper where it meets the charging handle.  This is a release agent. Then insert charging handle but not quite latched. Fill the gap with permatex and wipe off the excess. When it cures you may have to trim a bit but it'll be nice and tight against the upper.  No gap means no gas. Easy and cheap.
Link Posted: 6/21/2022 12:40:30 AM EDT
[#22]
This is a decent video

Gas Buster Charging Handle DIY - No Gas in Face!
Link Posted: 6/21/2022 2:04:16 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
This is a decent video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wancMz8ZDg8
View Quote

Thanks. I don't shoot suppressed,
but it's still interesting to see how shooters resolve issues.
Link Posted: 6/28/2022 12:03:58 AM EDT
[#24]
I like the PRI Military Big Latch Gas Buster.
Link Posted: 6/29/2022 1:41:47 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 6/30/2022 3:19:44 AM EDT
[#27]
I have a long BCM/Vltor.  I found it can pinch when grasped just right.

It pokes when the rifle is slung too.

I've gotten used to the standard CH on most anything now, dont really miss extendeds.
Link Posted: 6/30/2022 4:20:46 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I have a long BCM/Vltor.  I found it can pinch when grasped just right.

It pokes when the rifle is slung too.

I've gotten used to the standard CH on most anything now, dont really miss extendeds.
View Quote

I had one and was indeed pinched by the BCM ones a lot. It's why they're no longer present in my safes and parts bins. I'm kind of surprised that some still seem to favor it. Maybe it was a left handed thing for me, I dunno.

You must be a right handed shooter then I take it? Standard CH's are easily a pain in the ass for a southpaw such as me. and keeps reminding me why I went with ambidextrous handles in reverse of what you've experienced.
Link Posted: 6/30/2022 5:19:15 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Geissele SCH
View Quote
Attachment Attached File

I have a Geissele SCH, Griffin SNA-CH, Radian Raptor SD, Strike Industries Extended Ambi, and milspec. All have the permatex gasket mod for shooting suppressed. The Geissele SCH is my favorite and I actually get less gas to my face on my go-to 5.56 AR with it than my RDB 9mm AR with the Radian Raptor SD. They all blow the milspec design out of the water though. Being able to operate the CH with my index finger on my weak hand like an ACR, SCAR, etc is simply too convenient and intuitive to ever use another milspec CH. I would suggest the Strike Industries extended latch if you are on a budget.

I was thinking about picking up a SilencerCo charging handle to try out but I might mod my existing CHs to seal the bottom.
Link Posted: 6/30/2022 9:53:12 AM EDT
[#30]
G.I. it works fine and is cheap.
Link Posted: 6/30/2022 10:16:14 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

It does? Cheap is a feature?
Link Posted: 6/30/2022 11:30:29 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'd be using Vltor's medium latch charging handle on everything if it weren't for the retro inspired builds that just don't seem right with anything but a standard charging handle.

P.S. Don't buy Colt charging handles from Arms Unlimited. I just got 4 and only 2 out of the 4 were any good. 2 were obviously takeoffs with one having a very slight bend in it, the other had some finish damage plus it would only fit in one of my uppers and it still has some resistance when sliding it back and forth in it's channel. Half the price of the of Colt's charging handles as sold through Brownells and now I know why.
Link Posted: 6/30/2022 11:54:29 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

I'd be using Vltor's medium latch charging handle on everything if it weren't for the retro inspired builds that just don't seem right with anything but a standard charging handle.

P.S. Don't buy Colt charging handles from Arms Unlimited. I just got 4 and only 2 out of the 4 were any good. 2 were obviously takeoffs with one having a very slight bend in it, the other had some finish damage plus it would only fit in one of my uppers and it still has some resistance when sliding it back and forth in it's channel. Half the price of the of Colt's charging handles as sold through Brownells and now I know why.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've only got one retro, but the retard in me may do one more clone so an OEM purchase may indeed be the only reason for myself to purchase buy one really.
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top