Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/19/2020 7:32:49 PM EDT
I encountered a number of failures to extract that I cannot explain. Firearm used was an LMT 16" midlength, ammunition used was Black Hills 77 gr TMK. Magazine was a Windowed Gen 3 PMAG.

4 times across about 30-40 rounds, the bolt appears to have failed to pull the casing out with proper authority, with the extractor claw losing control of the case. Sometimes this manifested as a casing being left behind without being ejected, sometimes as a "false double feed" where the empty casing prevented the next round from feeding, but in one instance the casing was stuck in the chamber even as the bolt locked back. The extractor had deformed the rim moderately, to the point where it would not slip over the rim again.

This malfunction has happened once before with this ammo and combination of parts. I inspected everything previously and figured that the extractor springs might have come weak from the factory, as they didn't have as much tension as some newer ones did. Accordingly, the extractor springs had been replaced as a precaution.

Gas system components:

1. LMT EBCG with JP cam pin

2. Tubb flatwire recoil spring

3. H2 buffer

I have ruled out the following causes as unlikely:

1. Extractor tension: Checked the extractor springs, they are fine.

2. Extractor claw: Cleaned under it last time. No visible burrs or imperfections observed.

3. Dirty BCG/lack of lubrication: Gun was lubed prior to shooting, and the BCG and inside of the receiver had been cleaned fairly extensively only ~50-100 rounds ago. CLP used was Hornady One Shot, which I did not spray in the chamber and tried to avoid getting on the bolt face.

4. Magazine: One casing failed to even get out of the chamber so I don't think this is it. The bolt was still locking back every time on the last round so I doubt the follower is rubbing on the carrier and causing short stroking.

5. Gassing & Buffer Weight: When the gun does extract and eject successfully, the casings are flung out about 6-8 feet at around 2 o'clock, very consistent. I have tried running very weak .223 PMC ammo using these parts, it worked fine and the bolt locked back every time. This rifle has been gassed both more and less before and not encountered these problems.

6. Overpressure: Recovered casing shows no primer cratering whatsoever, primer is not flattened. The only damage is on the rim from the extractor tugging too hard, and from the spent casing slamming into the edges of the ejection port because it didn't eject on one occasion.

7. Ejector spring: Checked previously, appears fine. Initially I thought this might be the problem since I had a casing left behind even as the bolt locked back, but then I had that casing that didn't come out of the chamber, so it is almost certainly not the primary issue if it even is a problem at all.

At this point I am quite confused, since the gun either works perfectly or randomly malfunctions as if got a bad dice roll. The only explanation I have is that the chamber may be rough. I thought this might have been a possible cause of the previous malfunction, and used a bore brush soaked with BoreTech eliminator to give the chamber a scrubbing at the same time I cleaned the gun those 50-100 rounds ago. If this is indeed the issue, perhaps that was not enough. I do have some mildly abrasive J-B bore paste which I could try to polish the chamber with if necessary.
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 10:36:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Could using an h3 buffer and a standard spring help you out?  Maybe try a new extractor.  It seems some of that ammo is a bit hot based on your description.  If the chamber is rough you should be able to see that by eye.
Link Posted: 5/12/2020 7:25:20 AM EDT
[#2]
From what I’ve seen 2 o’clock injections and case sticking in the chamber are a symptom of having an overgassed system. Basically the case is still expanding in the chamber, while the bolt is being sent rearward. The extractor either lets go of the case or can rip part of the head off. It sounds like you are right on the edge since if only a few cases were not be extracted. I’d throw a H3 buffer in and see what happens. If this doesn’t work I’d get a adjustable gas block.

My 350 legend was doing this every 1-2 rounds with a carbine buffer, so I switch H2 buffer and got rid of this problem. It still has other problems but this isn’t one.

Good luck
Link Posted: 5/12/2020 3:47:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top