Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/28/2020 9:55:08 PM EDT
So I liked the Protac 2 I put on my M4 and decided to order one for my 12.5" SBR.  Ended up ordering a slightly different model that turned out bigger/longer and didn't consider that it would overlap the flash hider a bit.  I realize I'll get fouling on the lens, but should I be concerned with damage to the head of the light from the muzzle blast?  I need to measure the two lights... might make sense to swap them.

Link Posted: 1/28/2020 9:58:57 PM EDT
[#1]
It'll be fine. The shortcoming on the Streamlight series is the switch - it'll let go before the head does.

ETA: I run mine a little behind my A2 FWIW, but have run it abeam and had no issue.
Link Posted: 1/28/2020 10:47:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It'll be fine. The shortcoming on the Streamlight series is the switch - it'll let go before the head does.

ETA: I run mine a little behind my A2 FWIW, but have run it abeam and had no issue.
View Quote
Noted & pretty much what I expected to hear.  It would be surprising if I wore a switch out simply because it's not something I use a lot and my go-to range gun doesn't have a light attached.
Link Posted: 1/28/2020 10:56:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Nope it's fine. Put rain x on the lenses for easy wipe off of the black cloud that appears over time. I have many thousands of rounds on lights mounted like that.
Link Posted: 1/28/2020 10:58:09 PM EDT
[#4]
The activator is weak, but what gives out is the tail attachment. Mine started crapping out the day I got it and seemed to maintain for about a year (if it was rotated in one certain spot it wouldn't come on, otherwise was fine), then last month while I was on a road trip I pulled it out to illuminate something at night and got nothing. It would only work if oriented in a roughly 10mm space. I pulled out a Surefire SR07 and ordered the Arisaka adapter and couldn't be happier.
Link Posted: 1/29/2020 1:21:53 AM EDT
[#5]
Interesting.  I've not had any such issues with either of mine.  I did tape the wire down to minimize snags. Granted, neither are my primary range guns.  The M4 has, however, been known to bounce around in my trunk.
Link Posted: 1/29/2020 2:07:59 AM EDT
[#6]
I have a similar setup on my 11.5", but it has a brake. A little clp on the lens every now and then and it is just fine. My X300 that sticks out past my G17 muzzle actually looks worse than the rifle light...
Link Posted: 1/29/2020 12:02:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Arisaka makes mounts that will let you move that light around.
Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top