Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/2/2018 9:01:09 PM EDT
I have a chance to buy this cutway and wondered the value. The receiver has been cut in half some time ago, and is the way it's pictured.
pics of cutaway
Link Posted: 12/2/2018 9:12:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Parts price only I would think.
Link Posted: 12/2/2018 9:32:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Doesn't look like it ever had a s/n from what I saw when I looked at it.
Link Posted: 12/2/2018 10:12:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Doesn't look like it ever had a s/n from what I saw when I looked at it.
View Quote
If it’s a factory cutaway then a lot. Maybe $4000 range plus with the lower. I would be interested in it. I have a 727 factory one currently
Link Posted: 12/2/2018 10:15:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Need to figure out if it is a factory cutaway, that will make a world of difference in price.

I just watched one in a local auction here go for about $4500
Link Posted: 12/2/2018 10:26:25 PM EDT
[#5]
So how can I tell if I go back over to look at it?
Link Posted: 12/2/2018 10:42:37 PM EDT
[#6]
I would check with Tonyk in the M16 section.    I think that would be an unregistered machinegun.  Even though it's a cutaway.   Proceed with caution.
Link Posted: 12/2/2018 10:57:36 PM EDT
[#7]
I don’t see how but I wouldn’t put anything past the ATF.

It looks de-mil to the old standards prior to the “crush everything” one.
Link Posted: 12/2/2018 11:13:52 PM EDT
[#8]
A functional upper,  and a KNS anti rotation pin set.
Link Posted: 12/2/2018 11:16:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Cut-a-ways like that have been ruled machineguns in the past, as I recall.

Just realized lower is in 2 pieces but ATF may say retally repairable.
Link Posted: 12/3/2018 4:34:14 AM EDT
[#10]
I think one needs to look into the term "once a machinegun, always a machinegun". If this is a factory produced cutaway from Colt, it would have been originally produced as a cutaway training piece and NOT as a functional machinegun. Therefore, it would have never have been a machinegun and can't be one now. Makes sense to me, but if the BATFE says a shoestring is a machinegun all bets are off.
Link Posted: 12/3/2018 5:15:07 AM EDT
[#11]
I think one needs to look into the term "once a machinegun, always a machinegun". If this is a factory produced cutaway from Colt, it would have been originally produced as a cutaway training piece and NOT as a functional machinegun. Therefore, it would have never have been a machinegun and can't be one now. Makes sense to me, but if the BATFE says a shoestring is a machinegun all bets are off.
Link Posted: 12/3/2018 7:09:43 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 12/3/2018 12:22:32 PM EDT
[#13]
The reciever looked ok to me since it was in 2 pieces, but not sure how to tell if it was a real cutaway and worth?
Link Posted: 12/3/2018 3:21:56 PM EDT
[#14]
Cutaways are still legally machineguns, that's why they are almost all semi autos, not worth the paperwork headache.

I would think this one is old enough to have been properly destroyed per the old receiver cutting requirements, but I'm no lawyer.
Link Posted: 12/3/2018 7:44:50 PM EDT
[#15]
A friend of mine who worked at Colt during the 1980's and 90's and went to another M16 manufacturer told me that that the cut a way in the pics is a legit Colt Instructional Cut Away made by Colt.

He advised that it was probably made for presentation to a US Military VIP.

He said they made several of them in the M16 and M16A2 rifle series and had them mounted to Walnut plaques.

He has one on his wall with a serial number that was awarded to him when he did a sales demonstration for Kuwait that ended up in a multimillion dollar order before Desert Storm.  His is on a Form 5 in Georgia.

I was tempted to have him fire it, since it is still able to chamber a round if you put a complete upper on it......
Link Posted: 12/4/2018 1:45:03 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I would check with Tonyk in the M16 section.    I think that would be an unregistered machinegun.  Even though it's a cutaway.   Proceed with caution.
View Quote
Saw third hole and thought the same.

Regardless, it's cool AF!
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 5:38:07 PM EDT
[#17]
added a few more pics showing lower demil.
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 7:39:01 PM EDT
[#18]
That one would probably have to be registered if it is not already, the right guy can make that lower usable again.

Have you been able to gain any information on the history of it?

You can call Colt and gather some information if you so desire, they may have the history on that particular rifle.
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 8:03:30 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

You can call Colt and gather some information if you so desire, they may have the history on that particular rifle.
View Quote
I doubt it as far as that particular cut away. There's no serial number.

They may know when thy made a run of cut aways though. Presumably at around the time of the introduction of the A2?
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 8:21:18 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
added a few more pics showing lower demil.
View Quote
I just looked at the recently added pics and it looks like there is at least 1/2 inch missing from the middle of the lower receiver, looks properly demilled in my opinion. I've seen older single saw cut demils on gunbroker like this one:

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/792573365
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 8:37:59 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I just looked at the recently added pics and it looks like there is at least 1/2 inch missing from the middle of the lower receiver, looks properly demilled in my opinion. I've seen older single saw cut demils on gunbroker like this one:

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/792573365
View Quote
I have seen them in much worse shape than this one, have new front ends welded on and make functional.
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 9:28:18 PM EDT
[#22]
My guess is the right guy can make any demill into a machine gun if he has enough know how and tools.
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 11:02:42 PM EDT
[#23]
A friend of mine sent the ATF a block if aluminum and asked for a letter saying that it was not a firearm. They said "no" to the letter, because it "could be machined into a firearm".
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 11:26:04 PM EDT
[#24]
Once a machine gun always a machine gun has already been lost by the ATFE in court. Remember the M14s in the 90's. Torch cut an sold as scrap then welded an rebuilt into semis. Still wish I bought every remade manufacture.

As for rewelding it. Anybody could just machine a 0% with the right tools.
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 11:56:07 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
My guess is the right guy can make any demill into a machine gun if he has enough know how and tools.
View Quote
Stupid laws. The same guy can make one from a block of aluminum if he has enough know how and tools
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 1:29:37 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Once a machine gun always a machine gun has already been lost by the ATFE in court. Remember the M14s in the 90's. Torch cut an sold as scrap then welded an rebuilt into semis. Still wish I bought every remade manufacture.

As for rewelding it. Anybody could just machine a 0% with the right tools.
View Quote
A lot of people actually want the rewelds because they are after the roll marks, the wear, certain profiles, there is any number of reasons that there is a good market out their for demilled lowers.
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 7:29:29 PM EDT
[#27]
If I decide to sell it, which EE exchange to list it under? None of them really apply.
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top