BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 11/27/2023 9:46:56 AM EDT
I've seen a couple mentions here and there of "lower that accepts Grease Gun Mags".
Searching, all I found was reference to some abortion that used a GG magwell bolted on to an AR rear 3/4 receiver.
Is there a stock, from the factory, AR lower that accepts unmolested Grease Gun mags?
Thanks.
Link Posted: 11/27/2023 10:56:13 AM EDT
[#1]
Maybe these guys?

Bazooka Brothers.

Link Posted: 11/27/2023 11:30:19 AM EDT
[Last Edit: wildearp] [#2]
CNC Gunsmithing.  I bought mine from Macon Armory, not sure who sells them now. Make sure you can get your hands on grease gun mags, they were starting to get scarce when I built mine.  The lower has a special mag release, mags are unmodified, except for a slight tweak on the feed lips to get the bullet angled correctly.

Link Posted: 11/27/2023 12:05:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Hopefully CNC is still making them or they are available from someone like Macon. Both of mine are fun to shoot and always a favorite.
Link Posted: 11/27/2023 1:01:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: gunnut284] [#4]
I think the Cavalry Arms plastic lowers (and their descendants from GMACS and KE presumably) take Grease Gun mags but require a mag block. They have a widened section in the well to allow the fatter mags.

ETA: I didn’t realize this is the pistol section, obviously those would have an integral stock so they might not apply.
Link Posted: 11/27/2023 4:57:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: amphibian] [#5]
I have an MGI Modular lower which I think came out in 2004.  Back in the day you could get a bunch of different magwells including one that accepted unmodified GG mags.
Here is an old pic of some of my magwells:

Here is a link to my website discussing my .45 CMMG RDB setup using my MGI lower running in full auto.
https://c3junkie.com/?page_id=841
Note that the mag release is in the same familiar spot.  I like how they also do that on their AK magwells instead of the flapper style.

If you refresh your browser here on AR15.com's homepage, you will see that the main banner ad is for: https://hydraweaponry.com
So looks like they are trying revive it and I was hoping they would bring back all the great magwells.
I just checked and they now have an MP5 magwell which they never did before.
So maybe someone can convince them to do the GG magwell again.
I was hoping they would do a Scorpion magwell to have the MP5 look but add LRBHO.

ETA:  wanted to clarify that the MGI GG magwell uses Unmodified GG mags
Link Posted: 12/2/2023 4:35:18 PM EDT
[#6]
mine is the bazooka bro's version.
it has a derlin tab that is held in by an allen screw.
with that tab in, gg mags lock in to the magwell.
pull it and it takes standard mags or adapters.
I got mine from ron williams, but it was a complete gun.
Link Posted: 12/2/2023 10:15:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Not sure such a thing exists. I have a 2nd generation Bazooka Brothers that takes molested grease gun magazines.
Link Posted: 12/2/2023 11:36:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By MrGlock36:
Not sure such a thing exists. I have a 2nd generation Bazooka Brothers that takes molested grease gun magazines.
View Quote

The CNC Gunsmithing lower does/did use unmolested mags. I tossed the past tense in there as it isn’t clear if they are a still available.
Link Posted: 12/2/2023 11:55:43 PM EDT
[#9]
If anyone gets ahold of CNC guns, I want a couple of his A1 carry handles.
Link Posted: 12/3/2023 1:06:15 AM EDT
[#10]
I sent email to both BB and CNC, nothing from them, yet.
Link Posted: 12/3/2023 11:28:28 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Mad-Machinist] [#11]
Link Posted: 12/3/2023 2:24:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Mad-Machinist] [#12]
Link Posted: 12/3/2023 2:54:52 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By gunnut284:
I think the Cavalry Arms plastic lowers (and their descendants from GMACS and KE presumably) take Grease Gun mags but require a mag block. They have a widened section in the well to allow the fatter mags.

ETA: I didn’t realize this is the pistol section, obviously those would have an integral stock so they might not apply.
View Quote

"rimfire and pistol caliber" subsection , you're fine.

CavArms lower with a Hahn magblock
pic found online

Link Posted: 12/3/2023 3:03:11 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 12/3/2023 5:47:47 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By TREETOP:

That one’s not mine, but I had one almost identical to it.
Here’s the magazine block:
https://hahn-precision.com/cav-gwacs-greasegun-45-acp-adapter/
It will only work with the CAV-15 MK2  receiver, which was specifically designed to allow the wider GG magazine to fit.
The upper was made by Olympic.
View Quote

That's really interesting, but, I have an 8" barreled upper, and they only sell "rifle" lowers.
Not looking to SBR or extend the barrel to 16", if even possible....
Link Posted: 12/3/2023 8:34:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Mad-Machinist] [#16]
Link Posted: 12/4/2023 2:20:30 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Mad-Machinist:
What kind of upper???? If Colt style blowback, Bazooka really is your only compatible option....I designed an ejector insert for Bruce that is bolted into the lower....and because of the Md position of the mag it will run with blowback or DI/RDB. If you send mags to Bruce he will cut the retention notches. Be aware you may need to have the bolt converted to controlled feed and have the feed cone recut.....I KNOW Macon Armory stuff will run on the Bazooka....but I have a feed cone that is significantly different than the rest of the industry.
View Quote

It's CMMG barrel and bolt, I already have the GG mags.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/4/2023 6:30:48 AM EDT
[Last Edit: amphibian] [#18]
That is identical to my setup I posted above.  8" CMMG RDB.  The MGI GG magwell is designed for straight blowback so it has a fixed ejector that I had to remove but surprisingly, I didn't have to mess with the mag height at all.  Removing the ejector is all I had to do.  Hopefully https://hydraweaponry.com/product-category/interchangeable-magazine-wells/  brings it back.  I think that system has so much potential.  I would rather SBR one lower and have multiple magwells myself.
Link Posted: 12/4/2023 1:57:31 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By amphibian:
I have an MGI Modular lower which I think came out in 2004.  Back in the day you could get a bunch of different magwells including one that accepted unmodified GG mags.
Here is an old pic of some of my magwells:
https://c3junkie.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/03/magwells-1024x768.jpg

Here is a link to my website discussing my .45 CMMG RDB setup using my MGI lower running in full auto.
https://c3junkie.com/?page_id=841
Note that the mag release is in the same familiar spot.  I like how they also do that on their AK magwells instead of the flapper style.
https://c3junkie.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/08/A5_RB5007_556Tubb_SB-1-1024x493.jpg

If you refresh your browser here on AR15.com's homepage, you will see that the main banner ad is for: https://hydraweaponry.com
So looks like they are trying revive it and I was hoping they would bring back all the great magwells.
I just checked and they now have an MP5 magwell which they never did before.
So maybe someone can convince them to do the GG magwell again.
I was hoping they would do a Scorpion magwell to have the MP5 look but add LRBHO.

ETA:  wanted to clarify that the MGI GG magwell uses Unmodified GG mags
View Quote

This is what I have also, I SBR'd my lower years ago as a 45acp, currently only have the GG and standard AR magwell.  Looking for an AK magwwll......
Link Posted: 12/4/2023 4:03:52 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By razor23:

This is what I have also, I SBR'd my lower years ago as a 45acp, currently only have the GG and standard AR magwell.  Looking for an AK magwwll......
View Quote
There are plenty of AK 7.62x39 magwells out there...it is the AK 5.45x39 magwells that are hard to find.  I have (1) 5.45x39 and have (3) 7.62x39 from several deals over the years.
Link Posted: 12/4/2023 4:18:22 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By 762AP:
Searching, all I found was reference to some abortion that used a GG magwell bolted on to an AR rear 3/4 receiver.
View Quote

Should i be offended?

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/4/2023 4:38:19 PM EDT
[#22]
I have a couple of very early Bazooka Bros lowers, like single-digit serials. I put the first one together when Olympic Arms (the only player in .45 at the time) had run completely out of the Uzi mags they had been using. The BazBros lowers require a cut on the side for a mag catch so they use the same mag catch as the AR, and they have run flawlessly for more than ten years. His first ones were I think DoubleStar lowers with the mag well cut away and the new well mortised and tenoned in place-- actually kid of hard to see unless you're looking for it. Would I buy another? In a heartbeat, if the State of Washington would only permit it.
Link Posted: 12/4/2023 4:53:43 PM EDT
[#23]
Love my CNC 45.
Link Posted: 12/4/2023 5:40:31 PM EDT
[#24]
There are plenty of AK 7.62x39 magwells out there...it is the AK 5.45x39 magwells that are hard to find.  I have (1) 5.45x39 and have (3) 7.62x39 from several deals over the years.
View Quote

You have 3 x39 magwells now?  No one needs more than 2........I'm interested if you wanna sell one.
Link Posted: 12/4/2023 6:00:40 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By M-60:
Love my CNC 45.
View Quote

I love mine also, one of my favorite guns. SBRed with an Olympic upper that was modified and has an integral suppressor.

That one was finished by Thompson Machine.

My first lower was finished by Khalan Weaponry and was too out of spec to be used. Even after sending it back and him. It sits on my work bench as a reminder to be very cautious doing business with unproven fly by night outfits.
Link Posted: 12/4/2023 6:14:55 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By TN-MadDog:

I love mine also, one of my favorite guns. SBRed with an Olympic upper that was modified and has an integral suppressor.

That one was finished by Thompson Machine.

My first lower was finished by Khalan Weaponry and was too out of spec to be used. Even after sending it back and him. It sits on my work bench as a reminder to be very cautious doing business with unproven fly by night outfits.
View Quote

Ah Khalan Weaponry. The first blind and retarded gunsmith/mfg I have ever dealt with.

Thankfully M60Joe was able to correct the worst of the problems and a member here fabricated some other small parts that ended up working.
Link Posted: 12/4/2023 7:03:14 PM EDT
[#27]
I remember cnc guns from when it was just discussion and drawings. It inspired me to buy a dozen mags just before the market went crazy on them.

I did modify a cad file of a ar lower to fit a GG magazine.
I partially machined it, never finished it cause I didn't know what to do about the mag release.  
I also 3D printed one years laster, but not at strength settings. Still no mag release either.

I have the olympic arms 16" upper. Came with modified 10 round uzi magazine.

I also tinkered a bit, squeezed the upper portion of a grease gun magazine in a vise to fit in a regular AR maxwell, welded a tube to the back like the uzie mag, and it worked!
Link Posted: 12/4/2023 11:56:03 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By RDTCU:

Should i be offended?

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/173511/_45_01_jpg-3049353.JPG
View Quote

THAT. IS. SO. COOL!
In all fairness, the pics I saw of the one BB lower probably was a prototype, it did not look "finished" in the least.
That is a neat looking gun.
Link Posted: 12/5/2023 2:07:47 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Mad-Machinist] [#29]
Link Posted: 12/5/2023 4:37:45 AM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By gunnut284:  I think the Cavalry Arms plastic lowers (and their descendants from GMACS and KE presumably) take Grease Gun mags but require a mag block. They have a widened section in the well to allow the fatter mags.

View Quote

GWACS yes, as they're selling the Cav Arms Mk 2 lower.  KE Arms no, as the KP-15 magwell was designed to run modern mags, including the MagPul Gen 2 that the Cav Arms magwell struggles w/.

Hahn makes the mag block for the Mk 2.
Link Posted: 2/6/2024 11:51:50 PM EDT
[#31]
No reply from CNC Guns or Bazooka Bros.
Still looking, but a little surprised there aren't more manufacturers making GG lowers.
Doesn't EVERYONE want what I want?
Link Posted: 2/7/2024 12:59:16 AM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By 762AP:  No reply from CNC Guns or Bazooka Bros.
Still looking, but a little surprised there aren't more manufacturers making GG lowers.
View Quote

I want the side feeding upper that takes Thompson or GreaseGun mags.
Link Posted: 2/7/2024 7:39:15 AM EDT
[#33]
No reply from CNC Guns or Bazooka Bros.
View Quote
Did you try hitting up hydraweaponry.com like I posted above?  They have an ad on the main AR15.com banner page now so they are trying to get business.  My buddy saw them at Shot but didn't ask about the GG lower since both he and I have that magwell so didn't ask.  Since they made it before, I would think they can make it again.
Link Posted: 2/7/2024 9:42:59 AM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By Andrewh:
mine is the bazooka bro's version.
it has a derlin tab that is held in by an allen screw.
with that tab in, gg mags lock in to the magwell.
pull it and it takes standard mags or adapters.
I got mine from ron williams, but it was a complete gun.
View Quote

I also got a GG/STANAG lower from Ron, though the lower had his RMWX info on it as the manufacturer. I got it with a DI .45ACP upper and he has since built me a 10mm upper. Had him modify 5 of my 10 GG mags to run 10mm.

Makes me want to get a 10mm M10 upper now so I can use the 10mm GG mags on a MAC10
Link Posted: 2/7/2024 5:40:23 PM EDT
[#35]
The Hydra Weaponry site https://hydraweaponry.com/product/hydra-ak-47-modular-magazine-well/ the AK-47 magwell for $275.00 plus shipping. They used to be at mgi-military.com, but that brings you to the Hydra site. I noticed when Windham Weaponry sold out (they also sold a version of the modular magwell lower, MGI had dropped their price for magwells from $250 down to $125. While still pricey, $125 per magwell is reasonable.  But they only had the standard,  9mm Colt, andAK-47 magwells.

Like"amphibian" I think that the modular magwell concept has a lot of potential, $275 per magwell is just too much money. Most any of their magwells have a complete lower receiver in the market for half the money. So for the vast majority of semi auto collectors, they can buy a complete lower for less than the cost of the Hydra magwell.

I find it odd that they didn't learn their lesson from 20 years ago. When the MGI modular magwell system came out a stripped lower with a standard magwell was $500.00. Now the stripped lower without a magwell https://hydraweaponry.com/product/hydra-modular-lower-receiver-only/ is $125.00. The stripped lower with standard magwell https://hydraweaponry.com/product/hydra-modular-lower-receiver-w-5-56-mag-well/ is $374.00. I think they have this backwards. They should make the stripped lower the expensive part and make the magwells less expensive. At $125.00 or $150.00 per magwell, if you have the registered part, then adding another magwell is competitive with a complete lower,  so Hydra makes a sale. With the current price structure very few will bother with the Hydra system at all.

As near as I can tell Hyra's management has not changed from MGI. Their price structure has not really changed either. So it seems like they got an infusion of capital, but are following the same basic model that they started with 20 years ago. They seem to be bringing some new magwells that they can patent, but they seem to be going down the same path.

There certainly would be interest for those interested in NFA applications, such as SBR or a host for a DIAS or LL. Certainly having one lower having a special trigger or stock/buffering system would have some interest in not repeating the specialized parts for multiple lowers would also have appeal. Is the modular magwell system cool?  I certainly think so, especially for NFA applications. OP, good luck with your  .45 project. Like "amphibian " I have a Grease Gun magwell and a custom built Thompson magwell with last round bolt hold open. I would suggest contacting Hydra about  .45 ACP magwell availability.

Scott
Link Posted: 2/7/2024 5:50:00 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By canon3825:
The Hydra Weaponry site https://hydraweaponry.com/product/hydra-ak-47-modular-magazine-well/ the AK-47 magwell for $275.00 plus shipping. They used to be at mgi-military.com, but that brings you to the Hydra site. I noticed when Windham Weaponry sold out (they also sold a version of the modular magwell lower, MGI had dropped their price for magwells from $250 down to $125. While still pricey, $125 per magwell is reasonable.  But they only had the standard,  9mm Colt, andAK-47 magwells.

Like"amphibian" I think that the modular magwell concept has a lot of potential, $275 per magwell is just too much money. Most any of their magwells have a complete lower receiver in the market for half the money. So for the vast majority of semi auto collectors, they can buy a complete lower for less than the cost of the Hydra magwell.

I find it odd that they didn't learn their lesson from 20 years ago. When the MGI modular magwell system came out a stripped lower with a standard magwell was $500.00. Now the stripped lower without a magwell https://hydraweaponry.com/product/hydra-modular-lower-receiver-only/ is $125.00. The stripped lower with standard magwell https://hydraweaponry.com/product/hydra-modular-lower-receiver-w-5-56-mag-well/ is $374.00. I think they have this backwards. They should make the stripped lower the expensive part and make the magwells less expensive. At $125.00 or $150.00 per magwell, if you have the registered part, then adding another magwell is competitive with a complete lower,  so Hydra makes a sale. With the current price structure very few will bother with the Hydra system at all.

As near as I can tell Hyra's management has not changed from MGI. Their price structure has not really changed either. So it seems like they got an infusion of capital, but are following the same basic model that they started with 20 years ago. They seem to be bringing some new magwells that they can patent, but they seem to be going down the same path.

There certainly would be interest for those interested in NFA applications, such as SBR or a host for a DIAS or LL. Certainly having one lower having a special trigger or stock/buffering system would have some interest in not repeating the specialized parts for multiple lowers would also have appeal. Is the modular magwell system cool?  I certainly think so, especially for NFA applications. OP, good luck with your  .45 project. Like "amphibian " I have a Grease Gun magwell and a custom built Thompson magwell with last round bolt hold open. I would suggest contacting Hydra about  .45 ACP magwell availability.

Scott
View Quote
+1.  I agree on the pricing.  Also wanted to point out that I do like how MGI / Hydra retained push button functionality on their magwells, so a familiar push button for the mag release and not doing a flapper for AK mags or GG mags.  I would hope they would continue that for the upcoming Scorpion mag well.  
I don't like how they didn't do LRBHO on the Glock magwells but they told my buddy at Shot that they are going to be bringing the Glock magwells back and this time have LRBHO.
Link Posted: 2/8/2024 12:39:15 AM EDT
[#37]
Did you try hitting up hydraweaponry.com like I posted above?  They have an ad on the main AR15.com banner page now so they are trying to get business.  My buddy saw them at Shot but didn't ask about the GG lower since both he and I have that magwell so didn't ask.  Since they made it before, I would think they can make it again.
View Quote

Seems when I read your post earlier, I read it as they no longer manufactured the GG lowers. Tried going on to their site from the page here, I get a metric boatload of warnings that their site will give my computer herpes or some other shit.
Link Posted: 2/8/2024 7:53:15 AM EDT
[#38]

Seems when I read your post earlier, I read it as they no longer manufactured the GG lowers. Tried going on to their site from the page here, I get a metric boatload of warnings that their site will give my computer herpes or some other shit.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

I see this on their contact page:

855-493-7221
Sales Manager: Tanner Smart
[email protected]
Sales: 910-568-5535 ext. 2

[email protected]

Note that my buddy that went to Shot told me to email Tanner which I did but haven't heard back.  I didn't try calling him nor did I try the main number.

Link Posted: 2/8/2024 10:18:00 AM EDT
[#39]
Mucho thanks.
Just curious, when you go to their site, does it kick up warnings with McAfee? Wonder if it's just my computer and the security settings we have on it.
Link Posted: 2/8/2024 10:46:03 AM EDT
[#40]
Mucho thanks.
Just curious, when you go to their site, does it kick up warnings with McAfee? Wonder if it's just my computer and the security settings we have on it.
View Quote

I don't have McAfee, not getting any warnings about NoScript.
Link Posted: 2/8/2024 11:04:25 AM EDT
[#41]
Mucho thanks.
View Quote

With my computer, the Hydra Weaponry website front page is okay, but any attempts to reach the next level down is flagged as not secure and blocked.

MHO, YMMV, etc.
Link Posted: 2/9/2024 11:35:16 AM EDT
[#42]
I have a GG magwell for my SBR'ed lower.  What uppers are you guys running?  I am using an old Olympic Arms blowback upper, I'd like to run a DI upper if possilbe with GG mags.
Link Posted: 2/9/2024 12:16:39 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By razor23:
I have a GG magwell for my SBR'ed lower.  What uppers are you guys running?  I am using an old Olympic Arms blowback upper, I'd like to run a DI upper if possilbe with GG mags.
View Quote
If you are saying you have an MGI GG magwell then it should run fine with a CMMG RDB or Macon Armory or RMW by just removing the ejector in the magwell.
As I posted above, I currently run a CMMG RDB in .45 and used to have an RMW .45 gas operated as well.
Link Posted: 2/9/2024 12:56:10 PM EDT
[#44]
If you are saying you have an MGI GG magwell then it should run fine with a CMMG RDB or Macon Armory or RMW by just removing the ejector in the magwell.
As I posted above, I currently run a CMMG RDB in .45 and used to have an RMW .45 gas operated as well.
View Quote

I wasn't clear, sorry, yes I have a MGI GG magwell
Link Posted: 2/9/2024 10:43:26 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 1:41:42 PM EDT
[#46]
Are CNC and Bazooka Brothers still doing GG lowers?  Neither site looks up to date.

I talked to MGI at NRA a few years ago and they claimed back then that they were bringing the GG and Glock lowers back, but nothing ever happened.  I really like the idea & system.
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 2:58:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: IdahoPCCinc] [#47]

Edited so we can stay on topic.

Link Posted: 3/6/2024 4:51:53 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By IdahoPCCinc:

Did you read the thread ??

Apparently they might be making them.....but the OP only uses emails and waits .....he doesn't call anyone and talk to them directly.

View Quote

Thanks for chiming in.
Link Posted: 3/7/2024 2:02:33 AM EDT
[Last Edit: IdahoPCCinc] [#49]

Please OP.....call the manufacturers up, and update the thread with any information they provide to you, and share it with others in this thread.
Some good folks have tried to help you out by pointing you in the right direction

It would be awesome of you to provide that information for others to have available to use as a resource.

Thank you in advance for any information you can provide in your thread to help others.

Edit.....this was a friendly and honest attempt to keep the thread moving with information from any manufacturers.

Link Posted: 3/7/2024 11:33:51 AM EDT
[#50]
Congrats, I didn't realize you had been elected Hall Monitor of the Pistol Caliber Forum, and thank you for stepping up and white knighting for the "folks subscribed to the thread" looking for information that are apparently MORE communicationaly challenged than I, and have been waiting with baited breath for my latest update.
Trigger warning to millennials and grammar nazis: "communicationaly" is a made up word
You feel free to contact all the vendors I have and share YOUR experience, as I have provide the information I have garnered to this point.
You don't like it, find another thread to derail.
Do you normally fixate on random individuals in real life, or is this just your internet people skills?

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top