Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/17/2018 9:50:34 PM EDT
Why don’t we see more of these. I’ve owned higher magnification PST optics before and thought they were the best bang for the buck. Seems like most folks just go right to the Razor. I completely understand the quality of the Razor, but the PST II does have the same reticle. Other than weight and glass quality is it worth almost $1000 more to get the Razor?
Link Posted: 7/18/2018 4:09:16 AM EDT
[#1]
Had one on my .300BLK for a while.  Also owned two Razor 1-6x.  The PST is a good optic and I’d say about 70-75% of the scope the Razor is.  Glass was good and illumination was great.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/18/2018 8:22:14 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Why don't we see more of these. I've owned higher magnification PST optics before and thought they were the best bang for the buck. Seems like most folks just go right to the Razor. I completely understand the quality of the Razor, but the PST II does have the same reticle. Other than weight and glass quality is it worth almost $1000 more to get the Razor?
View Quote
Where are you seeing the Viper for $400?
Link Posted: 7/18/2018 11:51:02 AM EDT
[#3]
How's the brightness of the illumination as compared to the razor?
Link Posted: 7/18/2018 4:31:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Where are you seeing the Viper for $400?
View Quote
I didn’t check dealer new pricing .... going off of MSRP from Vortex that I thought would have been relative.
Link Posted: 7/18/2018 5:54:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Street pricing for the Razor is around $1400.
Link Posted: 7/18/2018 6:13:30 PM EDT
[#6]
The PST Gen II 1-6 is a great bang for the buck LPVO, I look at it as 3/4 of a Razor Gen II for half the price. For the extra 1/4 you have better materials overall and it's made in Japan instead of the Philippines. If it's not going on a duty rifle and you can't afford the Razor than I say why not?
Link Posted: 7/18/2018 9:04:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
The PST Gen II 1-6 is a great bang for the buck LPVO, I look at it as 3/4 of a Razor Gen II for half the price. For the extra 1/4 you have better materials overall and it's made in Japan instead of the Philippines. If it's not going on a duty rifle and you can't afford the Razor than I say why not?
View Quote
I would call the PST Gen 2 1-6x sturdy enough to be called duty grade. IMO.
Link Posted: 7/19/2018 1:26:41 PM EDT
[#8]
It possibly might be, but I know the Razor Gen II's have been attached to duty rifles for awhile with much success.
Link Posted: 7/29/2018 8:43:47 PM EDT
[#9]
I have both, PST is a damn good deal for the price in my opinion.  Same illumination as the Razor too
Link Posted: 7/29/2018 9:04:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
We have two, both on 2 gun competition rifles... both have been beat up and have dents in the caps... we haven't had a single issue with them.

I'm still impressed by how good of a scope they are. The thickness of the black around the image seems to be the most noticeable difference between the PST Gen 2 and the  Razor.

I would call the dot easily daylight bright, unsure how it compares  to the Razors brightness.
Link Posted: 7/29/2018 10:14:49 PM EDT
[#11]
I think a lot of people can’t justify the price difference over the PA 1-6 ACSS. I see a lot of guys on the fence and either end up with the PA or take it a step further and get the P4xi
Link Posted: 7/29/2018 10:42:59 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I think a lot of people can't justify the price difference over the PA 1-6 ACSS. I see a lot of guys on the fence and either end up with the PA or take it a step further and get the P4xi
View Quote
The Primary Arms 1-6X24mm FFP with the ACSS Raptor pretty much just killed the Vipers too.
Link Posted: 7/29/2018 10:43:12 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I think a lot of people can’t justify the price difference over the PA 1-6 ACSS. I see a lot of guys on the fence and either end up with the PA or take it a step further and get the P4xi
View Quote
You comparing the primary arms scope to the vortex pst or the razor?
Link Posted: 7/30/2018 1:30:45 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

The Primary Arms 1-6X24mm FFP with the ACSS Raptor pretty much just killed the Vipers too.
View Quote
I have a PA 1-6x ACSS. It has the dot, got it right before they switched to the chevron. It’s a nice scope for the money but it’s left me wanting more. Is the overall glass quality of the FFP raptor any different than the older SFP 1-6x ACSS?
Link Posted: 7/30/2018 6:25:21 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

You comparing the primary arms scope to the vortex pst or the razor?
View Quote
No... OP was asking about the PST series
Link Posted: 7/30/2018 1:25:43 PM EDT
[#16]
Good idea...craptastic execution.  Ordered one and waited 3 months for delivery.  Illumination module was DOA.  Sent it back and the replacement had a frozen parallax adjustment ring.  Anything Vortex puts out that isn't in the 'Razor' line is suspect.
Link Posted: 7/30/2018 11:48:08 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Good idea...craptastic execution.  Ordered one and waited 3 months for delivery.  Illumination module was DOA.  Sent it back and the replacement had a frozen parallax adjustment ring.  Anything Vortex puts out that isn't in the 'Razor' line is suspect.
View Quote
Interesting. I’ve had good luck with my Gen I PST. But I think there is some truth to your statement. Same goes for Athlon with their Cronus.
Link Posted: 8/2/2018 4:05:03 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 8/2/2018 9:19:45 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote
Once in a while all price-range optics manufacturers can have a hiccup or two. I currently have 5 Vortex optics plus the VMX-3T. I had 6 but let someone talk me out of my Viper PST. The point being, all have been stellar with no issues. Over time I've lost a turret cap or 4, lens covers, etc. Communicated with Vortex to purchase replacements which I could not find on their site. They insisted on sending me free replacements each time which I gladly accepted. That speaks volumes to me.

I once found some technical data regarding mounting my Viper PST to another brand cantilever mount. I found contradicting info regarding torque specs so I emailed Vortex. They quickly replied with the specs and explained in detail why you should go with the optics manufacturers' specs and not the generic specs provided by base, ring, etc manufacturers. I really appreciated their expertise and taking the time to give me that little tutorial. IMO, their customer support is second to none and as stated, I feel they make a good affordable product.
Link Posted: 8/3/2018 4:23:57 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 8/8/2018 6:32:32 PM EDT
[#21]
If you own enough of any one thing, sooner or later you will experience failure.  I have seen Leupold and US Optics scopes fail, along with other brands.  I had a high end Burris target scope fail on me the day after I bought it.  Along the way, I have had other scopes fail, along with a number of red dots.  While disappointing, it wasn't the end of the world.  I simply boxed them up and sent them back with a note in the box and after about two weeks, I received a new replacement in the mail.  I currently own a number of Vortex Viper PST scopes and Razor red dots and I haven't had a single issue with any of them.  I also own a number of Burris MTAC scopes and they also haven't given me any problems.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top