Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/3/2019 10:06:21 AM EDT
Is the Vortex PST Gen II 1-6 duty ready in comparison to its big brother the razor?
Link Posted: 3/3/2019 10:43:17 AM EDT
[#1]
What do you mean by 'duty ready'?
Link Posted: 3/3/2019 10:47:10 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/3/2019 12:47:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Great article.  From that source, it indicates that one doesn't need a $1k+ scope to have a combat ready AR.  In fact there are guys down range with Vortex Strike Eagles and Primary Arms budget scopes.  Also interesting comments about backup iron sights being replaced by angled red dots.  Based on this article, a setup with a Vortex Strike Eagle 1-6x and an angled Primary Arms Advanced 50k battery life red dot would make a great solution for HD/SHTF and at a budget friendly cost.
Link Posted: 3/3/2019 6:32:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
A piece of equipment that can be relied upon while either on patrol or active duty.
Link Posted: 3/3/2019 6:59:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
A piece of equipment that can be relied upon while either on patrol or active duty.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I would go Aimpoint, one of the Trijicons or the Razor. Your mount will make a bigger difference than the scope. When getting banged around I never like exposed turrets.
Link Posted: 3/3/2019 9:01:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

When getting banged around I never like exposed turrets.
View Quote
The Viper PST Gen II has capped turrets, doesn't it?
Link Posted: 3/3/2019 9:03:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

The Viper PST Gen II has capped turrets, doesn't it?
View Quote
Yes Sir
Link Posted: 3/4/2019 1:19:54 PM EDT
[#9]
While I don’t have a “duty” rifle. I have 2 rifles wearing Viper PST 1x6 gen 2s. These are my go to rifles and set up completely the same. The Vipers are heavy beasts at over 22oz, but at their current price point ($599 with mount at dsgarms) I think they’re the best option available for a quality lpvo under 1 grand.

I’m not jumping out of airplanes, so I don’t need a Razor, but all things being equal, I’d buy the Razor over the PST if I had the money. I can’t justify an optic over a grand, so the Viper is the next best thing. It feels quite robust enough for my needs. I’d consider it “duty” appropriate, if you can stomach the extra weight. Were it me though, on a duty rifle, I’d just go aimpoint T2 or Trijicon mro and call it a day.
Link Posted: 3/5/2019 11:46:21 AM EDT
[#10]
Well Steve fisher said the pst 1-6 is gtg at this point.Outside of the initial run that had an illumination turret issue(mine was one) he said they have been good in his classes.That's a pretty solid endorsement.

For the price they are going for right now I would say nothing else is going to be in its class.
Link Posted: 3/5/2019 7:45:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Well Steve fisher said the pst 1-6 is gtg at this point.Outside of the initial run that had an illumination turret issue(mine was one) he said they have been good in his classes.That's a pretty solid endorsement.

For the price they are going for right now I would say nothing else is going to be in its class.
View Quote
Thank you Sir
Link Posted: 3/9/2019 11:38:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
patrol and active duty are two very different things.  Patrol is usually in the car, sometimes the trunk but as for abuse; mostly scrapes and occasional pot hole.  Duty can be much harsher obviously

Modern production methods tend to give credence to stronger more durable products (when not made in china:))
Link Posted: 3/10/2019 3:29:08 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

patrol and active duty are two very different things.  Patrol is usually in the car, sometimes the trunk but as for abuse; mostly scrapes and occasional pot hole.  Duty can be much harsher obviously

Modern production methods tend to give credence to stronger more durable products (when not made in china:))
View Quote
Read the above linked article. Even China made Strike Eagles are seeing use over seas!
Link Posted: 3/10/2019 9:15:07 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Read the above linked article. Even China made Strike Eagles are seeing use over seas!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Slow down, even a broken clock gets it rice twice a day. Chinese made items are not known for their quality and this is not even debatable. If you understood what I wrote about modern production methods, you wouldn't have wasted the time to respond. That said or lpvo that is built like a tank, go with the MTA C
Link Posted: 3/10/2019 10:34:29 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Slow down, even a broken clock gets it rice twice a day. Chinese made items are not known for their quality and this is not even debatable. If you understood what I wrote about modern production methods, you wouldn't have wasted the time to respond. That said or lpvo that is built like a tank, go with the MTA C
View Quote
Lol, all Im saying is sometimes even the cheap products can be surprisingly tough.
Link Posted: 3/10/2019 10:50:14 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Lol, all Im saying is sometimes even the cheap products can be surprisingly tough.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No doubt...i have a holosun that I have had on two rifles that I use like red headed stepchild and abused the living shit out of. I routinely take one rifle a year and try and abused it like Cinderella's evil stepmother LOL the optic has held up and I've been so impressed with it that I recommend them now. With modern production methods you can get good quality from cheaper sources but the parts used and the QC is what really matters. I don't mind a Burris that's manufactured or put together in China because they still use Burris QC for instance and Vortex is very similar in that regard. I love for text although the lpvo, one is nuts not to go with Burris because of the fov
Link Posted: 3/11/2019 5:20:05 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote
Can you point me to the info where he changed his opinion on these? Thanks!
Link Posted: 3/11/2019 5:36:40 PM EDT
[#18]
I'd use it. Sample size of 1 and it was a 5-25 but theres a video of a guy tossing it out the window onto a dirt road going like 40mph if i remember correctly and the elevation turret took a nice beating but it wasnt totally effed.
Link Posted: 3/11/2019 7:09:38 PM EDT
[#19]
So to update my original post,I decided to buy the viper.  I was able to get it dialed in on Sunday.  I really enjoying it so far, definitely a nice piece of equipment.

With my block II
Link Posted: 3/12/2019 7:59:52 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Can you point me to the info where he changed his opinion on these? Thanks!
View Quote
its from a primary&secondary post last week where someone was asking about them.

Link Posted: 3/12/2019 12:18:51 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

its from a primary&secondary post last week where someone was asking about them.

https://i.ibb.co/CvcRLwq/Inked-Untitled-LI.jpg
View Quote
Thank you Sir
Link Posted: 3/12/2019 2:41:39 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

https://i.ibb.co/CvcRLwq/Inked-Untitled-LI.jpg
View Quote
Awesome, thanks.
Link Posted: 3/12/2019 4:08:57 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
So to update my original post,I decided to buy the viper.  I was able to get it dialed in on Sunday.  I really enjoying it so far, definitely a nice piece of equipment.
https://i.imgur.com/paizlQ3.jpg

With my block II
https://i.imgur.com/iERVSND.jpg
View Quote
My PST II 1-6 is on order I scored one on DVOR for 499 it will replace the PST 1-4 I have that is going on my dad's rifle.

Throw lever if you do not want to spend $60 for the Vortex one check this out. https://mkmachining.com/product/vortex-polymer-throw-levers/
I get the carbon fiber nylon and they are nearly bomb proof.  I have banged mine around quite a bit.  I already have one on order for my new scope.
@-KentuckyWindage-
Link Posted: 3/12/2019 9:37:59 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

My PST II 1-6 is on order I scored one on DVOR for 499 it will replace the PST 1-4 I have that is going on my dad's rifle.

Throw lever if you do not want to spend $60 for the Vortex one check this out. https://mkmachining.com/product/vortex-polymer-throw-levers/
I get the carbon fiber nylon and they are nearly bomb proof.  I have banged mine around quite a bit.  I already have one on order for my new scope.
@-KentuckyWindage-
View Quote
Awesome Sir thanks!!
Link Posted: 3/13/2019 8:16:22 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

@-KentuckyWindage-
View Quote
I would stick with the switchview aluminum throw lever. The mk machine is huge and blocks alot of view around the outside of the scope. If this is a duty weapon you want to be able to see as much as possible.
Link Posted: 3/13/2019 10:24:51 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I would stick with the switchview aluminum throw lever. The mk machine is huge and blocks alot of view around the outside of the scope. If this is a duty weapon you want to be able to see as much as possible.
View Quote
I have used both and my results were not what you describe.  Yes the MK throws are bigger but considering how big the ocular lens is on the Vortex Razor and PSTII you are already sacrificing view and in 1x the FOV through the optic is quite expansive because of the large ocular lens.  Also I found the lever was much easier to find and slap while shooting competition over the Vortex aluminum one.  I find the bigger lever arm was better and it did not get in the way.  YMMV just my .02....
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top